Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2013 7:26:22 AM EDT
The more I think about things the less I feel comfortable relying on a 380, so I think I'm going to part with my P3AT and get a 38 Special revolver.  I've always liked the S&W 442.  Is there something else I should be considering?  I'd like to keep it under $450 if possible.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Smith 442 or 638. Ruger LCR.

I carry a 638 most of the time.  I looked at both the 442 and the 638.  The 638 had a better trigger so I bought it.  I would have been content with either.  Recently acquired an LCR in 22 as a range toy.  Impressive piece.  Seriously considering a 22 mag or 38.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
have not played with the Ruger LCR... had a SW 640, SP101 and SW442.... kept the 442.... light weight without the expense of the exotics... if you don't have to worry about heavy winter clothing the Federal 125grain NyClads have a pretty good rep for ammo... if you want to crank up the horsepower the 640 with a shrouded ejector rod might be worth a look
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Buds police supply has 442 no locks for $340 shipped

I've had the M&P 340 for a few years now and throw it in my pocket if I don't feel like carrying my G26. The 642/442 are great guns as well and with Speer Gold Dot +P are proven man stoppers tested by NYPD. I rented an LCR and its pretty much the same size as the Smith J frames except their grips are a little bulky, compared to my bantam grip. The LCR trigger was nicer than my smith, too. I think you can buy a .357 LCR for less than a .357 J frame and you'll have the option to upgrade the front sight. One of the reasons I went with my 340 what because of the Big Dot front sight. I had a 642 years ago and sold it because the sights suck so bad. I guess that's what Crimson Trace is for.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buds police supply has 442 no locks for $340 shipped

Dang!  Looks like you have to be LEO to buy though.  Appear to be out of stock, too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Spend the money on an Airweight and add APEX's <$25 spring kit.

You will probably spend a little more than your budget, but you will be very happy.

You could add a Crimson Trace model LG- 405 Round Butt and really have a nice set up.

This model grip seems to absorb recoil well enough that my wife can handle +P loads with no problem.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The Crimson Trace grips have never really worked well for me since I'm left handed.  Maybe the J frame grips are different?  I was thinking about putting a set of VZ grips on it.

EDIT: What pocket holster is the favorite for these things?  I had a Nemesis for my 380 and liked it OK.  Sometimes I'd wished I went with the Superfly so that it would print a little less, though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 1:39:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I am a lefty too and I like having my trigger finger on the opposite side as the laser.

When the finger is extended out of the guard, it never gets in the laser's path.

That isn't the case when my wife grips it with her right hand.

I am using a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster.  It works great, but it shows wear rather quickly.

Good thing they are so cheap.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Had a 442, but went to a 360PD as it has a nicer trigger and weighs bout as much as a sock.

I really couldn't shoot well with that loooong and heavy 442 trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the LCR, and it simply disappears in most front pockets.

Bit of a bitch to shoot, however.  Recoil is 'snappy.'
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 4:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Lcr. With the bootleg grip like the picture or the normal hogue grips are great also. But honestly after buying my lcr I would not consider a s&w and definitely not a Taurus.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Crimson Trace grips have never really worked well for me since I'm left handed.  Maybe the J frame grips are different?  I was thinking about putting a set of VZ grips on it.

EDIT: What pocket holster is the favorite for these things?  I had a Nemesis for my 380 and liked it OK.  Sometimes I'd wished I went with the Superfly so that it would print a little less, though.

Mika is my choice. Great holster for my pre-lock Bodyguard Model 38. Mika is a good guy, too.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
340 or 360 PD.   Probabvly the lightest 38/357your going to find......yea they cost more but i have found 2 in the e&e for around $500 keep your eyes open
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Spend the money on an Airweight and add APEX's <$25 spring kit.

You will probably spend a little more than your budget, but you will be very happy.

You could add a Crimson Trace model LG- 405 Round Butt and really have a nice set up.

This model grip seems to absorb recoil well enough that my wife can handle +P loads with no problem.

No kidding eh?  I'm debating about a 642 my local LGS has and I'm not liking the idea of a LW frame.  I've never shot one.  I always feel like my DS is controllable, but it seems like it's on the borderline for me.  Maybe I'm trying to fight it too much.  LOL.

OP, my step Dad has a 442 and I would say it's a very good option.  He was blessed and got the no lock.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
A lock is a non issue.......and if you dont care for it take the gun apart and take the lock out
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#17]
442/642

Right now, I am carrying an LCP in a Sticky Holster for summer carry when the G19 just won't hide. I am not crazy about .380, but better than throwing my cell phone at a BG.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Second the 360PD! Even with 38 Specials it is a bitch to shoot but with 357 magnums is very effective.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought a 442 today.  Took it straight to the range, and I was impressed with how well I could shoot it.  I know it'll only get better with more trigger time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Any of the Centennial(442 / 642) or Bodyguard style J-frames, the 638, 639 or 438 type. I don't mean their new revolver with the built in laser, or the .380.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Second the 360PD! Even with 38 Specials it is a bitch to shoot but with 357 magnums is very effective.

I've never quite understood this. Out of a 1-7/8" bbl there is no ballistic advantage to using magnums. There's just more muzzle flash and difficult follow-up shots using .357.

-JC

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I recommend a Lightweight S&W 38 Special, or 357 Mag 5 shot Bodyguard, or Centennial.

I have been using one daily, a Bodyguard, as a No2 since 1972...
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lcr. With the bootleg grip like the picture or the normal hogue grips are great also. But honestly after buying my lcr I would not consider a s&w and definitely not a Taurus.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Pretty much this, only mine's a .357. That grip seems to provide the best balance in comfort for both shooting and carry.

The trigger beats that of every other production carry revolver I've ever played with excluding the 637PC, and even then, I'd still take the LCR.

It's my third EDC gun, but it's the first I've ever found to be comfortable and it's the first I've actually carried pretty much every day.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I got the S&W 642 and like it alot.  Liked the LCR but it's too fucking ugly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I got a 442 when they first came out in the early 90s and liked it a lot however sold it around 07',  Got a replacement a few years ago in a 442 Pro, no lock, +P rated, and cut for full moon clips.  This gives me the option to load with either full moon clips, standard speed loaders, speed strips or loose rounds.  Keep mine loaded with Fed 125 gr Nyclads in a pocket holster.

CD
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Lightweight aluminum frame without the huge bump in price for the scandium AirLite.
Snag free shrouded hammer.
Single action when you want it.

It's a great little gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#28]
What's everyone think of a 637?

My LGS got one in the other day.  I don't really want to do pocket carry.  I like IWB, even for a small revolver.  It hides very well.  

I guess I need to shoot an airweight to see if I'll actually want to shoot it.  Haven't got around to doing that.  I wonder if that LGS rents them.  They have a range at this place where the 637 is.

One thing though, after fondling about 4 or 5 smiths as of late, this 637 has the heaviest trigger out of all of them and I'm not really liking that.  At first it seemed like Smith triggers were real good, but after trying this one out, I was a little dismayed.  It's amazing how much of a difference there can be from one  gun to another.    They had a 642 there for a while and the trigger seemed way lighter.  I wonder if it's because people were fondling it for a while and dry firing it and it got broke in to a degree.  Hmmmmmmm......   And I tried the bodyguard out that they have also and it was weird how much different that trigger felt compared to the other smiths I've tried.  It was similar but stacked at the end, more like my colt.  But was still pretty good.  I'm not sure I like how thin the grip is on those though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally, I just don't see the attraction in an exposed hammer spur on a snubbie.

The 638 / 438 with the shrouded hammer gives you the ability to cock the hammer and verify that it's down when reholstering.
At the same time, even if you don't think you'll ever "pocket" carry it, you have a snag free revolver that is perfect for a coat pocket, shoulder bag or whatever.
Mine rides in the front pockets of my winter coats very frequently.............. which beats the hell out of an IWB gun that's zipped up inside of the coat when it's 10 degrees out.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:29:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A lock is a non issue.......and if you dont care for it take the gun apart and take the lock out
View Quote

Fuck that. I won't reward S&W's fucked ideas by investing in em'.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I got a 442 when they first came out in the early 90s and liked it a lot however sold it around 07',  Got a replacement a few years ago in a 442 Pro, no lock, +P rated, and cut for full moon clips.  This gives me the option to load with either full moon clips, standard speed loaders, speed strips or loose rounds.  Keep mine loaded with Fed 125 gr Nyclads in a pocket holster.

CD
View Quote

Sounds like a nice setup.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Personally, I just don't see the attraction in an exposed hammer spur on a snubbie.

The 638 / 438 with the shrouded hammer gives you the ability to cock the hammer and verify that it's down when reholstering.
At the same time, even if you don't think you'll ever "pocket" carry it, you have a snag free revolver that is perfect for a coat pocket, shoulder bag or whatever.
Mine rides in the front pockets of my winter coats very frequently.............. which beats the hell out of an IWB gun that's zipped up inside of the coat when it's 10 degrees out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I run a 638.  Chose it simply because it had a better trigger than any of the 442's I looked at that day.  The ability to shoot single action is also nice.  I also have an LCR in 22 that I use as a range toy.  I would certainly consider one in 38 if  I didn't have the Smith.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bought a 442 today.  Took it straight to the range, and I was impressed with how well I could shoot it.  I know it'll only get better with more trigger time.
View Quote

I hear ya.  I got a 442 for $335 a few weeks back and have been really impressed at how well it shoots with 158gr LSWCHP +Ps.  I picked it up because it was pretty inexpensive and was looking for a lighter summer carry gun, but had some reservations based on my experience with a 3" model 60 I owned almost 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Old 442

New 442-1 Pro

CD
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Had a 442, but went to a 360PD as it has a nicer trigger and weighs bout as much as a sock.

I really couldn't shoot well with that loooong and heavy 442 trigger pull.
View Quote

I went with the M&P 360 PD.
I carry the SB GD .357's in it.
Dave N
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Old 442
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/9809smith_wesson_M442.JPG

New 442-1 Pro
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/422_Pro.JPG

CD

How does it handle moon clips and loose rounds?  I alsways thought once you cut for the clips the countersink ruined the gun for regular rounds?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How does it handle moon clips and loose rounds?  I alsways thought once you cut for the clips the countersink ruined the gun for regular rounds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Old 442
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/9809smith_wesson_M442.JPG

New 442-1 Pro
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/422_Pro.JPG

CD

IIRC as I'm on the road at the moment the cylinder isn't cut all the way around.  There is enough to support the rim of the case.  I'll confirm later when I get home.  TK custom are the one's that cut the cylinders for Smith IIRC.

TK Custom machining

CD
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#39]
CD, for some reason I'm a little slow.  Was that mod done at the factory?  Or did you send it somewhere to have it done?  Someone else was asking about it.  

Mister-Z , I hear you on the hammer thing.  And I don't disagree.  I just really like to be able to have my thumb on the hammer when holstering.  I think I could learn to not have to do it, but it makes me more comfy at this point.  I have yet to see a 638 anywhere.  Or the other model you mentioned.  But it is a good idea.  

And like I said, my Dad's 442, the 642 my LGS used to have, the bodyguard and the 686 all had a much nicer trigger than this 637 they have.  Which makes it kind of difficult to like.  But it does raise the question if it's that the other ones have just been dry fired more.  I should probably hold out for one that has a nicer trigger though.  That's the downside about buying online.  How can you know?  Especially when there seems to be such a difference in different guns.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
CD, for some reason I'm a little slow.  Was that mod done at the factory?  Or did you send it somewhere to have it done?  Someone else was asking about it.  

Mister-Z , I hear you on the hammer thing.  And I don't disagree.  I just really like to be able to have my thumb on the hammer when holstering.  I think I could learn to not have to do it, but it makes me more comfy at this point.  I have yet to see a 638 anywhere.  Or the other model you mentioned.  But it is a good idea.  

And like I said, my Dad's 442, the 642 my LGS used to have, the bodyguard and the 686 all had a much nicer trigger than this 637 they have.  Which makes it kind of difficult to like.  But it does raise the question if it's that the other ones have just been dry fired more.  I should probably hold out for one that has a nicer trigger though.  That's the downside about buying online.  How can you know?  Especially when there seems to be such a difference in different guns.
View Quote

That was one of my points - you can have your thumb on the hammer when holstering a 638.  
The same protrusion used to cock it can be held down by the thumb when holstering.

Oh, and the other one I mentioned, the 438, is the same gun in a black finish rather than silver.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes, I was being redundant.  Sorry.  I do that.  I don't remember seeing the 438 on their website.  I'll have a looksee.  My point was I haven't seen any of these types in the wild yet.   I've seen either the complete hammerless or one with a hammer thus far. Smith revolvers are just not as easy to find in the stores I frequent any more.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

JJ,

Mine is a factory Smith 442 Pro.  Cut and sold from Smith that way.  I ordered mine directly from Smith on the Military Sales program when I was in Astan and shipped to my dealer.  The MSRP is only $20 more over a standard 442 and gives you an extra option for reloading along with a blackened stainless steel cylinder and no lock.  Course there is also a 642 Pro.

standard 442
442 Pro
442 Pro product spec sheet

CD

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Thank you.  Forgive me.  I've been on there website a zillion times these last couple of months and I never noticed that option.  I must be blind.  Now that you linked it I think I've seen it, I just wasn't really looking for it.  

That is a nice option.  Do you get your moon clips from them too?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes, I was being redundant.  Sorry.  I do that.  I don't remember seeing the 438 on their website.  I'll have a looksee.  My point was I haven't seen any of these types in the wild yet.   I've seen either the complete hammerless or one with a hammer thus far. Smith revolvers are just not as easy to find in the stores I frequent any more.
View Quote

I don't think it's on their website actually. I never did find it there.
I own one. It was a bit tougher to find vs a 638. But they're around on online sites and such.
It's the "bodyguard" style of j-frame; not to be confused with new one with that as the model name.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thank you.  Forgive me.  I've been on there website a zillion times these last couple of months and I never noticed that option.  I must be blind.  Now that you linked it I think I've seen it, I just wasn't really looking for it.  

That is a nice option.  Do you get your moon clips from them too?
View Quote

The pistol came with 3ea full moon clips.  Additional ones are available from TK Custom.

CD
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
442/642

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks guys.  

Anyone ever notice if the 642/442 seem to have a lighter trigger than a model with an exposed hammer?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  

Anyone ever notice if the 642/442 seem to have a lighter trigger than a model with an exposed hammer?  Just curious.
View Quote

IMO, no. They seem to be about 12 lb.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#49]
My 642 started life around a 10lb pull.  A very smooth 10lbs with a clean break.

Over the last 7 years that has lightened up a bit.  Shoots gongs just fine.  Love shooting gongs with the snubby.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#50]
LCR
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top