Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Geometrically speaking, shorter stubbier cartridges have a narrower envelope of reliability and cartridges with longer aspect ratios are easier to get to feed. Practically speaking, manufactures know this and cut barrel lugs to work just as well as a 9mm barrel.

Pressure/Slide velocity also plays a role in a clapped-out magazine spring’s ability to get the feed stack pushed up in time. But that’s true of any cartridge, not just .40
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]
OP it's either you and/or the ammo you're shooting. It's not the caliber.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
G22 gen 3, 2 G22 gen4's, G27 gen3, Beretta 96...no problems
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
What does the caliber of a gun have to do with function??? Man we keep getting more stupid every day
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never owned many .40s, but the couple I did which were a CZ 75 SP-01 and a HK P30L both ran great.  Never had issues with them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to have a Witness that would experience 3-point jams with regularity.  Moving to rounded projectiles as opposed to truncated cone did help, but not eliminate, the issue.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The issue was never hot 10mm loads, the load the FBI was using in 10mm wasn't "hot" but the gun it was chambered in was BIG.  That's where the problem was, the size of the gun, not the recoil.  That's when the .40 came and saved the day. Not because FBI agents couldn't handle a mid level 10mm in a big, heavy gun, if anything it would recoil less than a .40.  
View Quote

This.  If you ever handled a S&W 1076 (I've owned S&W 3rd Gen 10's & 45s) it is / was a VERY BIG & HEAVY CHUNK of Stainless Steel that would work easily to beat a suspect to a bloody pulp as to shoot them.

A small woman or man carrying that BIG & HEAVY Pistol is really going to feel it and would have a tough time concealing it.   Sort of the reason (size & weight) that the FBI rethought the 10mm.

.40 has good ballistics that gain the higher capacity & compact size of a 9mm (Vs. a .45 or 10mm based gun), with a bullet of greater weight & diameter.  

The 180 HST (along with 180 Gold Dots & 180 Winchester Ranger) is pretty much as good as it gets for a handgun.

It's fallen out of "Trendy" but the facts are that it works well for defense and I don't have the least worry carrying one.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Not in mine... Beretta, Tanfo, Sig, Colt, Taurus, S&W.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard it said that it's the compact guns made for 9 that do this.
My 40s are all full size.
Cz sp01 tac, HK vp40, p80 g22.

I am no ex Bert on anything though.
Just know about what I have.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've heard it said that it's the compact guns made for 9 that do this.
My 40s are all full size.
Cz sp01 tac, HK vp40, p80 g22.

I am no ex Bert on anything though.
Just know about what I have.
View Quote

I've had Steyr M40, G23, G27 & the wife has a Ruger SR40c, never had jamming problems with any of them.  Although on the 1st day we took the new Ruger to the range the extractor broke about 3 magazines in.  I took great joy in telling her that I told her she should've gotten a Glock.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.  If you ever handled a S&W 1076 (I've owned S&W 3rd Gen 10's & 45s) it is / was a VERY BIG & HEAVY CHUNK of Stainless Steel that would work easily to beat a suspect to a bloody pulp as to shoot them.

A small woman or man carrying that BIG & HEAVY Pistol is really going to feel it and would have a tough time concealing it.   Sort of the reason (size & weight) that the FBI rethought the 10mm.

.40 has good ballistics that gain the higher capacity & compact size of a 9mm (Vs. a .45 or 10mm based gun), with a bullet of greater weight & diameter.  

The 180 HST (along with 180 Gold Dots & 180 Winchester Ranger) is pretty much as good as it gets for a handgun.

It's fallen out of "Trendy" but the facts are that it works well for defense and I don't have the least worry carrying one.

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

I agree. My home defense pistol is an M&P full size. 40 with 180gr Ranger bonded. I recently went on a road trip and took a Gen 4 G22 loaded with the same. Have a .50 can full of loose 180gr HST too.

I like all the service calibers but to act like .40 isn't a viable choice packing a serious punch is just silly.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My experience with .40 guns is that they all had a failure to feed at some point.  The round was under the extractor and bound to go in to the chamber but it just didn't make it.  

My guns in 9mm have always fed fine.
View Quote
after 5500 rounds, my M&P has only failed to feed a round that had a weird bulge in the casing. Probably good thing it didn’t.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Geometrically speaking, shorter stubbier cartridges have a narrower envelope of reliability and cartridges with longer aspect ratios are easier to get to feed. Practically speaking, manufactures know this and cut barrel lugs to work just as well as a 9mm barrel.

Pressure/Slide velocity also plays a role in a clapped-out magazine spring’s ability to get the feed stack pushed up in time. But that’s true of any cartridge, not just .40
View Quote

I guess that's why the long skinny 22LR hardly ever jams?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I did not get along w/ my G22...
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Umm no.  

Now if you don't replace mag springs or recoil springs when they wear out or use garbage magazines then yea, you get problems.  

View Quote
I put the extra power springs in all my mags for when I have to load down to 10. Seemed to have issues with factory springs and rounds jumping around during auto-forward reloads.  Fully loaded mags never had the issue but now pretty much every pistol mag I have runs the extra 10%ers.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top