Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Yeah and velocity loss. Excel Arms (another "EA") makes some 5.7x28mm firearms, but they have poor customer service, and their guns sometimes don't do the banging right.. There's the MPA line, but as mentioned FN is it, for now :) FN was the sole provider or virgin brass. Now there's EA.

S&B/Magtech has stated they will be doing 5.7x28mm ammo, but the CEO couldn't tell me if it was FN brass, or their own.
View Quote

Had forgotten about Excel Arms.  Using M1 carbine mags.  Which would indicate, possibly, that someone could do up an M1 carbine in 5.7x28mm.  That would be sweet if done right.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Universal or Plainfield offered M-1 Carbines in 5.7 Johnson which was real similar to the 5.7x28

<a href="http://s135.photobucket.com/user/PursuitSS/media/Bolt%20Carriers/4C4A3030-24BE-4987-9DB4-4BFAF39E5FF0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Bolt%20Carriers/4C4A3030-24BE-4987-9DB4-4BFAF39E5FF0.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Yeah and velocity loss. Excel Arms (another "EA") makes some 5.7x28mm firearms, but they have poor customer service, and their guns sometimes don't do the banging right.. There's the MPA line, but as mentioned FN is it, for now :) FN was the sole provider or virgin brass. Now there's EA.

S&B/Magtech has stated they will be doing 5.7x28mm ammo, but the CEO couldn't tell me if it was FN brass, or their own.

Had forgotten about Excel Arms.  Using M1 carbine mags.  Which would indicate, possibly, that someone could do up an M1 carbine in 5.7x28mm.  That would be sweet if done right.

Universal or Plainfield offered M-1 Carbines in 5.7 Johnson which was real similar to the 5.7x28

<a href="http://s135.photobucket.com/user/PursuitSS/media/Bolt%20Carriers/4C4A3030-24BE-4987-9DB4-4BFAF39E5FF0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Bolt%20Carriers/4C4A3030-24BE-4987-9DB4-4BFAF39E5FF0.jpg</a>

I had and IMI M1 Carbine in 5.7 Johnson. That was a great round.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Competition is always good news.  Perhaps it will bring FN's prices down - or inspire them to make a compact model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  All that being said....

There is a report that a yet as unnamed MAJOR manufacturer is progressing with a new 5.7x28 polymer framed pistol in both a hammer fired and striker fired version.

That is all that I know at this time.

Competition is always good news.  Perhaps it will bring FN's prices down - or inspire them to make a compact model.

There will never be a compact version. That is as short as you can go with the barrel to get the necessary performance out of the 5.7 round. FN does NOT fool around when it comes to engineering. If that is the shortest barrel they make, I don't buy a shorter one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There will never be a compact version. That is as short as you can go with the barrel to get the necessary performance out of the 5.7 round. FN does NOT fool around when it comes to engineering. If that is the shortest barrel they make, I don't buy a shorter one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  All that being said....

There is a report that a yet as unnamed MAJOR manufacturer is progressing with a new 5.7x28 polymer framed pistol in both a hammer fired and striker fired version.

That is all that I know at this time.

They might not.  If the round catches on, there will be a compact model from someone.  Easy enough to try it out in the MPA pistol.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I really want a FiveSeven.  Always did.  Now I really do.

Something about 20rds that really scream in a lightweight, low recoil weapon really makes sense to me.  Maybe it sucks.  Don't care.  Still want one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  I really want a FiveSeven.  Always did.  Now I really do.

Something about 20rds that really scream in a lightweight, low recoil weapon really makes sense to me.  Maybe it sucks.  Don't care.  Still want one.
View Quote

Have you looked @ the .22" TCM from RIA?  HiCap, easily reloadable, and convertible to 9x19mm.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have you looked @ the .22" TCM from RIA?  HiCap, easily reloadable, and convertible to 9x19mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I really want a FiveSeven.  Always did.  Now I really do.

Honest answer... No.

I know next to nothing about them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Personally, I wouldn't even consider it.

DOUBLE THE WEIGHT of the FN FiveseveN.

Three less rounds of ammunition on board

Ammo isn't as available and is more expensive

Grip is wider

I carry my FiveseveN DAILY. size & weight are a major consideration

Compare them...

Armscor .22 TCM

FN FiveseveN
View Quote

Size and weight are a major consideration IF you carry it.  Some folks just want a pistol in the glovebox; some just one for the range, or to hunt w/.

I think the major advantage of the .22" TCM is that it reloads like any other bottlenecked .22", and doesn't require special coatings on the brass that wear off.  If you want a slimmer grip, RIA is importing a single stack, also convertible to 9x19mm, I believe.  The double-stack mag is compatible w/ their bolt-action carbine - which seemingly a lot of folks want to convert to 9x19mm.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally handled one IRL today. It's got the weight of an airsoft gun, and the safety is far more ergonomic and intuitive than I thought it would be. I guess I must sell/trade the bullpup to buy one. Damn you OP!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  22tcm9r
View Quote

Wish they'd done a conversion for Glock 20 in .22" TCM rather than the 9R.  How much top end are you giving up?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wish they'd done a conversion for Glock 20 in .22" TCM rather than the 9R.  How much top end are you giving up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  22tcm9r

Fred Craig says the 9r is just a shorter bullet so it will fit in 9mm magazines, everything else about the round stays the same.  On the G20 and 22tcm IDK, but in the beginning Armscor was stating you just need a barrel and recoil spring for the conversion but now I see that they include a slide, so I think it will run just not as well as with a lightened slide?  Being as the 22tcm is the length of the 10mm and the casing is 9mm dia and 10mm being .40 dia I dont see why you could not get a barrel made for the G20, it would be similar to the Glock .40 to 9mm conversions.  Maybe a G29 conversion would be better due to the lighter slide?  

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread is killing me! I highly regret selling my FiveseveN a few years ago and have wanted another one ever since. I saw one a few days ago and now my LGS has the FDE model which is what I really want. Hard to go wrong, they sell used for as much as they did new....

Should I?

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#17]
So, this morning I made the mistake of renting a Five Seven form a local indoor range.  

Now I need one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, this morning I made the mistake of renting a Five Seven form a local indoor range.  

Now I need one.
View Quote

It's ridiculously easy too shoot....quickly, and the fireball is sweet!
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You are quite correct on resale of them, over the years I've let two slip through my hands. This one is staying put. And I've hung onto the extra mags on previous sales. Now with this one I several spare mags

As to "Should I?"  YEP!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is killing me! I highly regret selling my FiveseveN a few years ago and have wanted another one ever since. I saw one a few days ago and now my LGS has the FDE model which is what I really want. Hard to go wrong, they sell used for as much as they did new....

Should I?

You are quite correct on resale of them, over the years I've let two slip through my hands. This one is staying put. And I've hung onto the extra mags on previous sales. Now with this one I several spare mags

As to "Should I?"  YEP!!!

Damnit! I went back to go get the FDE model and they sold it about 20 minutes before I got there!!! ARGGGHHH!!!! I had cash money in hand!
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I need one.

It took my a while to notice the fireball.  There also just isn't much recoil while firing.  It felt like a .22 magnum pistol or something similarly sized.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn't write this but read it a while back. The question was why is 5.7 ammo so expensive?

MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE EXPENSIVE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILLIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR COST LESS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#24]
A caveat from a former five-seven owner ...

The pistol must always reside in a holster when loaded.  

The safety has a habit of disengaging when carried in a backpack, tank bag or glove compartment.  

If you do not practice trigger discipline, conditions are very ripe for a negligent discharge.  

It is a great pistol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sounds like someone who didn't finish Grade School and their weapon of choice is a Hi-Point because they work for minimum wage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't write this but read it a while back. The question was why is 5.7 ammo so expensive?

MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE EXPENSIVE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILLIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR COST LESS.

Sounds like someone who didn't finish Grade School and their weapon of choice is a Hi-Point because they work for minimum wage.

It is supposed to humorous and in no way serious. It is in the tune of a serious Russian speaking poor english. My bad, it doesn't translate well out of context.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I didn't write this but read it a while back. The question was why is 5.7 ammo so expensive?

I wouldn't insult Boris so cavalierly.  He's a member here.  He's built an AK out of a shovel, engineered and produced weldable steel frame 80% Glock kits, and is now casting AR lowers out of plastic at home, among other achievements.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wouldn't insult Boris so cavalierly.  He's a member here.  He's built an AK out of a shovel, engineered and produced weldable steel frame 80% Glock kits, and is now casting AR lowers out of plastic at home, among other achievements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I didn't write this but read it a while back. The question was why is 5.7 ammo so expensive?

That's probably not him. Sounds like Ivan Chesnokov.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The safety has a habit of disengaging when carried in a backpack, tank bag or glove compartment.  

If you do not practice trigger discipline, conditions are very ripe for a negligent discharge.  

It is a great pistol.
View Quote

I had a USG Five Seven previously and  I noticed that when I would draw the pistol from a Blackhawk SERPA holster that the safety would...conveniently (or maybe, a bit unnervingly) disengage on its own during the draw stroke. The location of the safety while its in one's hands makes reasonable sense, but being inaccessible while holstered, and not always knowing whether the safety was going to be on or off when I was drawing the gun out was one of the things that ended up pushing me away from the pistol.

Very easy pistol to shoot though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a bad case of Sour Grapes...

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is it possible that you might have been using the incorrect Serpa? Also, keep in mind that counterfeit Serpa's are way too common, my son purchased a Serpa for a Glock 17 and it was a fake.

I carried a FiveseveN in a Serpa both on and off duty for several years. It was holstered and drawn hundreds of times with no issues.

Or, I suppose the first Gen of Serpa's might have had an issue. The last Serpa revision was "D", that implies that there were three prior versions.

I mention the possibility of the safety issue in my review of the fivesevenreddot holster

Converting a Serpa USG belt holster to a duty belt holster (second post down) LINK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a great pistol.

I had a USG Five Seven previously and  I noticed that when I would draw the pistol from a Blackhawk SERPA holster that the safety would...conveniently (or maybe, a bit unnervingly) disengage on its own during the draw stroke. The location of the safety while its in one's hands makes reasonable sense, but being inaccessible while holstered, and not always knowing whether the safety was going to be on or off when I was drawing the gun out was one of the things that ended up pushing me away from the pistol.

Very easy pistol to shoot though.

Is it possible that you might have been using the incorrect Serpa? Also, keep in mind that counterfeit Serpa's are way too common, my son purchased a Serpa for a Glock 17 and it was a fake.

I carried a FiveseveN in a Serpa both on and off duty for several years. It was holstered and drawn hundreds of times with no issues.

Or, I suppose the first Gen of Serpa's might have had an issue. The last Serpa revision was "D", that implies that there were three prior versions.

I mention the possibility of the safety issue in my review of the fivesevenreddot holster

Converting a Serpa USG belt holster to a duty belt holster (second post down) LINK

No sir, I did in fact have the correct SERPA ordered directly from Blackhawk made for the USG model. Like any other manufacturer, sometimes you can get a holster made for a specific gun that is a bit tighter, or a bit looser than the majority in the middle...it could have been the case here. It didn't move the safety off 100% of the time upon a draw at speed, but more often than not it did.

Although I read in another thread that there were only about a hundred or so SERPAs made for the successor the MK II, perhaps those SERPAs don't slide the safety off the way that I personally observed with my USG and its accompanying SERPA (both purchased 2010).
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone make an all black Target style rear sight and a fiber optic front?

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Googling looks like you are correct.  They have a similar posting style.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're welcome
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finally handled one IRL today. It's got the weight of an airsoft gun, and the safety is far more ergonomic and intuitive than I thought it would be. I guess I must sell/trade the bullpup to buy one. Damn you OP!

You're welcome

Any recommendations on the "best" places online to pick up a FN Five-seveN?  Are there ever any "deals" on them, or should I just expect to pay MSRP/MAP?  For someone completely new to the platform and caliber, would you recommend looking for one of the older USG models rather than the newer MK2?  If so, why one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not for the MKII, a company was offering fiber optic sights for the USG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone make an all black Target style rear sight and a fiber optic front?

Not for the MKII, a company was offering fiber optic sights for the USG

I was hoping for at least an all black replacement rear sight.  Not a fan of 3 dot sights at all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  

I was hoping for at least an all black replacement rear sight.  Not a fan of 3 dot sights at all.
View Quote

There's this newfangled stuff they call "paint" you could try...
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Agreed, that is why a handgun should only be a reactive weapon....you use it to shoot your way to a primary weapon.

But, personally I DO trust the caliber, whether it's "just" SS198 or the much hotter Elite S4M or Elite T6B

I carry older (2 yrs old) Elite S4M in my FN Five-seveN. The newer loads (using Elite's brass instead of FN brass) isn't clocking as fast.

In addition, either S4M or T6B WILL penetrate Level IIIA body armor.

And as an FYI, I started out in Law Enforcement carrying a .357 Magnum, then a Colt .45 Gold Cup, then a Glock 17, then a Glock 22, then back to a Glock 17, finally an FN Five-seveN

The one I trusted the least?

The Glock 22 .40 and it was stoked with Cor-Bon 135 gr hollow points.
View Quote

Hey Pursuit, I'm not looking to reopen the discussion between you and Backbencher on the merits of the cartridge, but what I'm not clear on is why you cite the performance of it in the awful Ft Hood incident (RIP to those soldiers), but then go on to say you would ONLY recommend a load that is neither of the loads that piece of shit used. What lead to that decision?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn it, PursuitSS....I'm going to kindly ask that you no longer post useful information in threads about the 5.7.

You Sir, are fixing to cost me a heap of money, and I don't appreciate it..

You know what you're doing..
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  Here is a "cut & paste" from Fnforum.net by Harrishmasher, it illustrates how weak SS197 is compared to SS198 (differences in POI)....

SS197 40gr is great for plinking. The SS198 27gr is good for defense. Problem is the point of impact is very different between the heavier SS197 and the lighter SS198. The SS197 hits about 4" lower than the SS198, even at 10 yards. This means you have to adjust your sights back and forth when you egt to and leave the range if you carry SS198 and practice with SS197.
View Quote

That's a rather incredible claim.  For SS198 to print 4" above SS197 at TEN YARDS, it would have to be traveling nearly 3000 fps faster than SS197.  And it would imply that SS197 travels horizontally slower than a thrown rock.

And googling finds the original link, and someone else pointed out the math just doesn't work:

http://fnforum.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-81803.html
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's a rather incredible claim.  For SS198 to print 4" above SS197 at TEN YARDS, it would have to be traveling nearly 3000 fps faster than SS197.  And it would imply that SS197 travels horizontally slower than a thrown rock.

And googling finds the original link, and someone else pointed out the math just doesn't work:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Here is a "cut & paste" from Fnforum.net by Harrishmasher, it illustrates how weak SS197 is compared to SS198 (differences in POI)....

SS197 40gr is great for plinking. The SS198 27gr is good for defense. Problem is the point of impact is very different between the heavier SS197 and the lighter SS198. The SS197 hits about 4" lower than the SS198, even at 10 yards. This means you have to adjust your sights back and forth when you egt to and leave the range if you carry SS198 and practice with SS197.

Yep-  Seems pretty silly...

I can run a test in a couple days...

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got to handle one at a gunshow.  $1200 and wouldn't budge on the price so a no-go for me.  This particular example (NIB MKII) had what seemed to be a very flimsy rear sight.  It was crooked to the left as well.  Safety also seemed pretty easy to disengage and not very positive.

Are they all like this, or was this just a bad one?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Just got to handle one at a gunshow.  $1200 and wouldn't budge on the price so a no-go for me.  This particular example (NIB MKII) had what seemed to be a very flimsy rear sight.  It was crooked to the left as well.  Safety also seemed pretty easy to disengage and not very positive.

Are they all like this, or was this just a bad one?
View Quote
You are correct about the safety.  

It must be holstered to prevent the safety becoming disengaged and inadvertently hitting the trigger.  

The rear sight is more robust than it looks.  

This is not a handgun you can throw loose in a backpack or glove compartment.

I found that out the hard way, came close to a ND a couple of times until I made the decision to get a good holster.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top