Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2013 6:52:35 AM EDT
Hey guys...so I'm 5'8 193 lbs (a little soggy around the middle) I recently got a glock 26 gen 4. I've got a beltman belt...an mtac holster and the comptac mag carrier.

Ok so heres the problem...I can't find a polo conducive to carrying the gun for the summer time!

I've played with the holster like crazy....the mag carrier prints more then the gun! If I find a polo that is roomy enough its either waaay to big or to long. Ready to pull my hair out over this...

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you wearing an athletic or regular cut shirt? Athletic is more form fitted, so probably worse with regards to printing. I'd suggest trying a manufacturer like Land's End that is more focused on work type clothing. Also, if you know someone who sews competently it is easy to reduce the length of a shirt. Some cleaners do alterations as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not going to wear a Team Glock shirt at work....
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#4]
a tailor... really also make sure you are getting regular cut, i find that i have to try 2-5 on to get on that fits.

also helps if you can try on with the gun on
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Why limit yourself to polo shirts? Why not a casual short sleve button down?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I was in NYC last week and was at a store called UNIQLO. They use a cottom/polyester mix on their polos. The shirts run a little on the small side (i usually wear a medium, but wore a large at the store), but the length was fairly long. The clothes are also very inexpensive too, which is nice.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/lifewear/men-dry-pique-short-sleeve-polo-shirt/075417-24-003?ref=mens-clothing%2Fmens-tops%2Fmens-polo-shirts
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually have good luck at kohls. They usually have a solid selection of polos, golf shirts, and button downs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a little chubbier than you and get by wearing t shirts using AIWB carry. Been carrying this way for about 13 years and never had to worry about a concealing shirt. The G26 is a great pistol for AIWB carry....just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
5.11 professional polo
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Or any of those button up shirts that are made for cc.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 5:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
JCPenney's brand St. John's Bay makes decent polos and they're about $20 each, usually get them for $15 on sale.

Kohl's has a good selection.

Land's End is another good choice.

Might want to check Cabela's, they have a good selection of clothes.

I wear a lot of American Eagle. They've changed their sizing over the years, and aren't very good on size control so you need to try a couple on in the store.

I also wear a good deal of Polo Raplh Lauren. I wear their "Custom Fit", basically athletic cut, becuase it fits me perfectly. They make a "Classic Fit" that's baggier. Don't pay $95 per polo either, I get mine routinely in their Clearance for $30-$40 each.

Lastly, since you're not tall like me (6'6", need actual Tall sized clothing, mostly have to order online), go to a store and try a few on, even in the same brand and size. The reason is that most clothes are sewn to +/- 1/4" at all seams. That means that in the same brand and size, you can have a variance of as much as an inch in the circumference of the shirt if both sides of the front and back panels are large.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#13]
the lacoste polos are nice but...holy shit 90 bucks?

I'm going to try the under armour charged cotton polo today.

I'll give American Eagle another shot....its true you can get 5 polos the same size and they'll all be different...
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I usually have good luck at kohls. They usually have a solid selection of polos, golf shirts, and button downs.

Boom
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I was able to find a slightly shorter under armour performance polo today....oddly enough it was a touch shorter then the others i tried on today....just need about 4 more lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
the lacoste polos are nice but...holy shit 90 bucks?

I'm going to try the under armour charged cotton polo today.

I'll give American Eagle another shot....its true you can get 5 polos the same size and they'll all be different...

Lacoste and Ralph Lauren (there are other brands too) are notoriously expensive. I'd bet Lacoste has clearances like Ralph Lauren though where shirts sell for about $30 - $40.

American Eagle has attrocious quality control on their sizing. I wear a lot of them because I need the Tall size and very few companies make Tall sizes. It's basically down to American Eagle and Ralph Lauren for me. With American Eagle I could by 10 of the same cut (Vintage, Classic, whatever they call their different cuts now) and color and have 10 different fitting polos. It's unbelievable!
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#17]
For me it is Columbia, Under Armor, and Mountain Hardwear moisture wicking polos they offer some stretch are lightweight and comfortable. I usually wait until fall when the stores are changing over to cold weather apparel and  find closeout deals.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not going to wear a Team Glock shirt at work....

Why not dude?

You're the Bullet Magnet!! Represent!!!!

Buy the Glock Polo....then go have a dayglo target embroidered on your back AND FRONT....and be true to your name!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#20]
If the mag is printing, I would not worry about it, most sheeple would not notice the 26 printing, let alone a mag printing. If it bothers you, carry it in your pocket.

Are you new to CCW? I know when I started I felt like everyone knew I was packing, now I feel like I could walk through the mall with my 23 in a IWB on the outside of my shirt, and 99% would have no clue.

To answer your question, any kind of a print on a shirt will hide better than a solid color..

Are you tucking, or untucked? for me in light clothing, tucking hides better than untucked.

Link Posted: 5/19/2013 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not new per se...I've just been carrying on and off for years and never at work. I have no fear while wearing a button down shirt but in just a polo I get squeemish about it.

I carry untucked.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#22]
took some pics....tell me im not nuts...

Link Posted: 5/19/2013 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Still looks a bit on the long side...

The perry Ellis travel polo fit nice...wasn't to long and hid the Glock well. Hopefully its not a sweat trap.....I'm going to see about ordering them online.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe I'm obsessing....dunno why the vids are upside down...

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
took some pics....tell me im not nuts...

You're nuts. Yes, there's a tiny bit of printing, but no one other than an Arfcommer would even think twice about that. And even then, I'm not sure I'd even suspect you of carrying if I was standing behind you. Unless it's worse than what those pictures show, you have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#26]
also why i included the two videos...tell me what ya think...
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:41:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
also why i included the two videos...tell me what ya think...

I mean, yea it's printing. However, I'm not one of the guys that says it has to be totally and completely concealed from everyone and anyone. I think as long as the general public can't figure it out, then you're fine. And from the pics and videos, I don't think the general public will notice. I wouldn't even give you a second glance unless you were using your grip as a handrest or something.

I don't know about you, but I don't find myself looking at people's lower back in public...unless it's some chick with a tramp stamp showing
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#28]
http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i444/natec6628/?action=view¤t=VID_20130528_235331_917.mp4

With a brooks brothers polo....still not sure though...dunno why its going upside down...

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I didn't notice it in most of the pics, anyone that's not a gun person or a cop is probably not going to notice or even think that it's a gun anyway, people are carrying so much junk on their belts these days, pocket knives , huge cell phones ect... Nice shirt!
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#30]
It prints a bit in those shots. But only a cop, other gun person or a bad guy would likely notice.

It's still concealed anyway. There's a difference between concealed carry and covert carry. If it's covert carry you require you'll probably have to make some other adjustments that may compromise accessibility.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Carhartt tee shirts work well for concealed carry. They're made of a thicker stiffer fabric than most tee shirts are. They make polo shirts also.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#32]
went to the VG2 glad I did! I'm sold on appendix carry.

Not sold on the reload against my bare skin though...I end up not carrying the reload....might get a pocket carrier for the spare....I feel as if I could actually run a glock 19 this same way with no problem at all.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't think you were printing bad enough to worry about it. I have all but stopped worrying about printing since, like others have said, 99% of people wouldn't notice it. But, I also live in TX, where they basically said printing and even accidental exposure of the firearm is alright; just can't take it out of the holster and wave it around.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#34]
funny thing about RI is that ccw is so uncommon that there's barely any laws associated with it. We have a very restrictive "may issue" type setup here.

I've been carrying like this for a couple months now and i'm very sold on it. I plan on picking up a glock 19 and carrying the same way...possible with the same shirts!

I do notice that more often then not I dont carry my spare magazine....i hate the feeling of it against my skin...especially when sitting.

Not to compare our heat to TX but it's been hot as hell the past couple days and that makes me want to carry a reload even less...
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
funny thing about RI is that ccw is so uncommon that there's barely any laws associated with it. We have a very restrictive "may issue" type setup here.

I've been carrying like this for a couple months now and i'm very sold on it. I plan on picking up a glock 19 and carrying the same way...possible with the same shirts!

I do notice that more often then not I dont carry my spare magazine....i hate the feeling of it against my skin...especially when sitting.

Not to compare our heat to TX but it's been hot as hell the past couple days and that makes me want to carry a reload even less...
View Quote

Ever consider a horizontal mag pouch?  I went w/ a Dale Fricke and the way it keeps mags aligned w/ the belt keeps the mag off me;  not certain how comfy a double-stack would be in front of the belt, but single stack surprisingly disappears very comfortably.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Let me save you money.

Walmart 10$ polos are ten times the concealment that the 35$ 5.11 polos are ...   And they are cut shorter so I can actually remove my weapon from its holster.

I realize 5.11 is meant to be tucked in but the 7-8 I've had have been huge disappointments in terms of 1. Too heavy 2. Too long 3. Collar area by buttons wears 4. Area by holster gets shredded 5. Stains FAR too easily (oils etc) for a "professional" shirt

I get then for the stiff collar at the expense of a good draw.   I've since rectified that.  

I work in a casual business wear environment,

I wear Walmart polos untucked and Walmart 10$ dockers every day.

Investors coming in? Shirt gets tucked in and jacket goes on.

With the phenomenal comp tac belt, this outfit is a winner for me.

As disposably cheap too.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Merona at Target are my fav and affordable. BTW you were gtg in the first pics. Not printing too bad IMO
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Tommy Hilfiger polos FTW. they have split tails and are about 2 inches longer in the back than the front. I am long in the torso and require a "long" version in most other polo shirts but Tommy shirts are the best for CC IMO, no matter what I am carrying, I can bend over and touch my toes, turn to the side, whatever, and never show.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Seems like you are happy with the appendix carry position?

If you DO rethink the carry method that you first posted.....I think that you are carrying TOO FAR back on the body.

For maximum concealment, carry the weapon JUST BARELY behind the point of the hip.  Your rear sight and the ass-end of the slide should be about at your 3:30, and with some aggressive cant angle, the end of your grip frame will tuck up nicely along your side.

Too far back (like in your photos) and the gun will print like crazy, unless you are 100% standing straight.

Keep playing around and you will find the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Incredibly happy with appendix carry...I feel much more secure this way...far more concealable too.

I may play around with mtac a bit more...I just felt like it made my hip look bigger, I kept hitting the gun on stuff (especially chairs when I sat down) I felt as if I were to bend over it would be very obvious as to what I had.

Those horizontal mag carriers look good....my problem is I need a quick on and off attachment and not something that threads the belt through.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Those horizontal mag carriers look good....my problem is I need a quick on and off attachment and not something that threads the belt through.
View Quote

All of their mag pouches come with a clip unless otherwise requested. High quality stuff too IMO.

AND: Please be careful carrying AIWB. One mistake re-holstering can kill you. Dry-fire draw practice over and over.

Cheers!

-JC

ETA: Fricke mag pouches

I forgot to add the link
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Incredibly happy with appendix carry...I feel much more secure this way...far more concealable too.

I may play around with mtac a bit more...I just felt like it made my hip look bigger, I kept hitting the gun on stuff (especially chairs when I sat down) I felt as if I were to bend over it would be very obvious as to what I had.

View Quote

I have been using AIWB for about two years. I despise small guns. Today I carried a Glock 37 all day in a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim.

Usually the longer the barrel, the more comfortable. Shorter slides actually make them print more due to the grip being able to stick out more. I can conceal my P30L very easily using AIWB. The smallest gun I own is a Glock 19.

A couple days ago I had to do a presentation in front of about a hundred people. I had no worries carrying the G37 wearing khaki shorts and a tucked in polo shirt.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm hopefully going to pick up a glock 19 this weekend....it'll be interesting to see how it handles in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm hopefully going to pick up a glock 19 this weekend....it'll be interesting to see how it handles in comparison.
View Quote

Looking forward to a report. I will predict you say it conceals no different than the G26 using AIWB. Once you get used to it, you can carry whatever gun you want.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:59:33 AM EDT
[#45]
can't see a dam thing unless you are purposely looking for it. stop worrying.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm grabbing the glock 19 on tuesday. I'll hopefully be reporting back Tuesday night.

Although when I put a G19 mag in my 26 I can definitely see it poking more....
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Front clip of mtac at front pocket on jeans works for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I have only caught one person printing.
It was an older gentleman walking into a store.
He has a light fabric brown shirt on and the only reasoning noticed at all was because he kept
Pulling his shirt down right where his pistol was and every time he pulled his shirt it gave a clear print.
If he had left it alone my eyes would have never even stayed to his belt line and I would have never noticed
The little amount of print he was showing without pulling his shirt.
The poor guy must have been driving himself nuts with that shirt and I'd bet he never wore it again while carrying.
He had the fabric around the gun stretched about 3 inches lower than the rest of the shirt I'm sure I'm not the only person that noticed.
He was going into a outdoors store so I doubt many people cared though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#49]
The best shirts I find are at Wal-Mart. Dickies mechanic shirts, Dickies T-shirts (they now carry tall), hawaiin shirts (they happen to be carrying Panama Jack ATM), they are all 10X better than the Crappy 5.11 Tactical "covert casual" I bought (to short and to small!) I've worn wally world polos, but not much of a polo guy here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#50]
4:00 will print less than 5:00. 3:00 would be ideal. High waisted jeans and/or a high ride holster for the win.

Keep in mind, that may not be the best holster/mag carrier for you. Some holsters work better than others for different people, their body shape and mechanics, and their comfort level.

I have never really cared for IWB carry, but I am carrying a Shield in an Old Faithful right now that is wonderful. I put it right about 4:00 and it just disappears under my crappy 5.11 Covert Casual.

I need to lose a few pounds and that will make a difference. I need to be 20 lbs. lighter than I am; I've been there before. Clothes fit differently and it's just easier to carry concealed.

You might look at a different shirt, at least. When you carry, you really need to adjust your wardrobe to fit the need.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top