Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2019 9:39:44 PM EDT
Do you use the thumb safety on 1911, or rely on the grip safety when holstered?  I read when "back in the day" people carried the colt 1903, safety off, just the grip safety and felt that was enough.
thanks
Mac.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Cocked and locked.

I already limp a little, no need to make it worse.

Some of us call it Condition 1.  Not using the thumb safety, but having the chamber loaded and the hammer cocked is Condition Zero.

Yes, historically, some have done so.  I don't recommend it however.

With a bit of practice, disengaging the safety as the muzzle is presented to the target becomes an automatic process.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Always use the thumb safety
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry cocked and locked, always with the thumb safety.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes and when you present the pistol, your thumb rides the safety.  When firing you thumb is on top, no threat your thumb is below.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Of course.  Silly question.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I switch multiple platforms on a regular basis, from revolvers to glocks to 1911 to others. For me at least the natural acquisition of the grips has my
Thumb landing on top of the safety and gets pushed down without a thought. I also agree you push it down and ride the top of the safety while firing. Keeps grip high which helps control recoil
With 1911’s I have heard of old school pinning of grip safety or old pictures of south west lawmen ( early adopters of the semi auto) with grip safeties tied down to disable them, but never heard of someone carrying without the safety on.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to go slow and pay attention to NOT flick off the thumb safety when unholstering a 1911.

It is so automatic after 40+ years of using one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I switch multiple platforms on a regular basis, from revolvers to glocks to 1911 to others. For me at least the natural acquisition of the grips has my
Thumb landing on top of the safety and gets pushed down without a thought. I also agree you push it down and ride the top of the safety while firing. Keeps grip high which helps control recoil
With 1911’s I have heard of old school pinning of grip safety or old pictures of south west lawmen ( early adopters of the semi auto) with grip safeties tied down to disable them, but never heard of someone carrying without the safety on.
View Quote
Same
Quoted:
I have to go slow and pay attention to NOT flick off the thumb safety when upholstering a 1911.

It is so automatic after 40+ years of using one.
View Quote
I always deactivate the safety as soon as I unholster
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I always carried one with safety on.
I believe the safety also locks the sear.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 2:00:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 2:25:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 for depressing the safety as part of your draw/ shooting grip
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always carried one with safety on.
I believe the safety also locks the sear.
View Quote
When fitted correctly it hold the sear in the full cock notch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Cocked and locked here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#15]
thumb safety on...it gets deactivated as the gun is coming up to the firing position.

after enough practice it becomes automatic and you don't even think about it. hell, there have been times where i'm firing a different gun and i find myself trying to click the safety off on a gun that doesn't have one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you use the thumb safety on 1911, or rely on the grip safety when holstered?  I read when "back in the day" people carried the colt 1903, safety off, just the grip safety and felt that was enough.
thanks
Mac.
View Quote

Between the trigger travel, pull weight, usable holster design,  and thickness of said 1911, I don't have the balls to carry it without the thumb safety on.
YMMV
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Between the trigger travel, pull weight, usable holster design,  and thickness of said 1911, I don't have the balls to carry it without the thumb safety on.
YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks
Mac.

YMMV
Sounds like a good way to get 'Glock leg.'
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Definitely have the safety engaged when you have one in the pipe and the firearm is holstered.  There's nothing to be gained (potentially much to lose) by carrying to the pistol with the thumb safety off.

I shoot a 2011 (double-stack grip w/1911 top end) in competition.  It is now second nature to release the safety with my strong-hand thumb as my weak hand connects to complete my grip.  At this time the pistol the pistol is raised to eye level and sights become aligned with the target.  From draw to first hit on target is ~0.5 to 0.6 seconds, and I'm only average.  With practice this can be done consistently in less than .2 to .3 seconds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top