Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2024 11:04:51 AM EDT
I've been wanting a Model 10 I could shoot a lot without feeling bad. I have a pristine Pre Model 10 but it's become a bit of a safe queen. I picked up a 10-8 from AIM Surplus' most recent batch. It has most certainly been carried a lot. The right stock is noticeably more worn than the left. It has many scratches, dings, worn off bluing and some rust. But there is almost no endshake, the ejector rod has very little runout and the trigger is great.

I was curious if anyone else picked one up and if so what condition it is in.

Link Posted: 8/13/2024 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#1]
DOC or armor car guards would be my guess.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 11:42:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#3]
A friend bought the $199 X condition one. It was rough. He buffed it down and home blued it and it's still rough but way better.

Before
Attachment Attached File

After:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/13/2024 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up one of the $199 X-grade.  It's a 10-6 and looks about the same wear as the Op's pics.  Seems well carried but rarely fired. Im really happy for $199.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I collect Model Tens, I have more than twenty, but passed on this lot.  If I saw one local I might snag one just because.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My buddy grabbed one of those.  He sent me the link but I didnt see it in time.  I met up with him at a show this past Sunday and he had his new-to-him "X-grade" mod 10 with him. Finish is heavily worn and lots of light scratches but honestly it was a really pretty patina.  What shocked me was the action was silky smooth and the cylinder lockup felt rock solid and tight.  His has no import marks. Wish I had grabbed one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Racecar_Guy:
Picked up one of the $199 X-grade.  It's a 10-6 and looks about the same wear as the Op's pics.  Seems well carried but rarely fired. Im really happy for $199.
View Quote

I saw a reddit post of a guy who got an X-grade. It was pretty clean. I was honestly a little upset to see how clean his was compared to mine, but such is surplus and good for him. I'm tempted to rust blue it or at least boil it and clean up the rust.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
That is almost rougher than a Stucco bathtub.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a good candidate for chopping to 3", bead blasting and parkerizing.  If I'd gotten one of the X ones I'd do it but I didn't receive the email until after those were gone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Hard pass
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]
As a revolver aficionado the Model 10's are in my opinion the most versatile, especially if one handloads the .38 Special.

I had three; a 10-5, a 10-7 and a 10-8. The 10-5 was very nice and I gave it to my daughter.

The 10-8 was acquired in a trade and I have well under $200 in it. It was an ugly heavy barrel example, which I didn't like, so I bought a 4" pencil barrel off eBay, swapped the barrels then bead blasted it and Parkerized it.

The 10-7 is my favorite and the most carried. It's also very accurate-

I'd probably pass on the AIM 10-8's and 10-10's simply because they can be, with patience, had with the thin barrels on Gunbroker for about the same price.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top