Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2024 3:24:11 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase a case of .45 ACP 230gr HP ammo to stack for a Stribog and pistol use.  Would prefer sealed cases and primers.  Want to get 1,000rds of quality HP at the best price.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if it is sealed, but if I was looking this is likely what I would go with.  
The price is about $699 at S & G Ammo.:  You might find it cheaper elsewhere, or maybe not, heck  I don't know.

1000 Round Case - 45 Auto Federal HST 230 Grain HP Hollow Point LE Ammo - P45HST2

Link Posted: 7/16/2024 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
A "case" (to me means 1,000 rds) of duty/defensive .45 will probably run you $500-700 these days depending on what flavor you choose. I would research which loads meet FBI terminal ballistics specs (DocGKR would be a good start), pick a box of a couple offerings from there and test them in your guns for reliability, then of those choose the most affordable load you can get. I am a Gold Dot and HST man myself as they are both proven loads and function reliably in the three .45s I have, however they can get pricey.

On the subject of stacking ammo deep, I personally only stack a few hundred rounds (maybe enough for three or so duty loadouts) of duty/defensive pistol ammo in my chosen calibers (9mm, .45, and .38)  but I absolutely hoard multiple cases of FMJ. My reasoning is that: 1. when I train/practice, I blow through the FMJ so I need to keep more of it on hand, 2. in any general lawful defensive shooting, I do not foresee depleting my duty/defensive pistol ammo in any appreciable sense, 3. In whatever fantasy EOTWAWKI/WROL/SHTF/Zombie Apocalypse scenario you dream up...it's probably not going to matter what ammo you hoarded; ball vs JHP.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw some gel testing and videos of federal HST 45acp. It expands to over an inch and looks like a big angry flower of doom. Rounded profile feeds in everything I’ve tried
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
HST
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I definitely would not blindly buy hp 45 acp based on price. Buy a few boxes of the ones that seem to perform to what you want. Make sure they are reliable in your handguns. Pick the most accurate one. Then look for the best deal on whichever one you want. It would be really dumb to buy 1000 rounds of one ammo and find out it kind of sucks just to save $50.

Here's what I've found for 45 acp HP's.

For lower recoil, maximum expansion HP

Federal HST 230gr
Speer Gold Dot 230gr

For full power, maximum expansion HP

Winchester Ranger T series +p 230gr
Speer Gold Dot +p 200gr
Remington Golden Saber +p 185gr

For moderate expansion and good penetration HP

Hornady XTP 200gr +p
Hornady XTP 230gr +p
Hornady Critical Duty +p 220gr

My own personal choice is the Hornady XTP 230gr +p since that shoots amazing in my pistols, and I don't want maximum expansion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:00:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Ranger-T or HST.
View Quote

This and Gold Dot is the only other choice I would consider but a rangers are my go to, I have a couple of cases of it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I am partial to the Ranger T over any others but HST are a close second
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Any impressions of the Federal 230gr. Hi-Shock white box 45D?  Thanks for all of the replies.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By flyer:
Any impressions of the Federal 230gr. Hi-Shock white box 45D?  Thanks for all of the replies.
View Quote

A couple of gel tests I came across (I forget where) they didn't expand at all. I would avoid if you're planning on carrying them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
HST
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I definitely don't think +P is necessary for tactical use 230 JHPs.

Std pressure HST, Gold Dot or Ranger does the trick, no drama.

I'd really like to find the perfect +P in 185 or 200 grain in bulk, although I'm not quite convinced I've found the perfect one to really stack yet.  Barnes TAC XPD is favorite overall 185 (VERY mild and accurate), but I wish they would bump the velocity from 1000 to 1100 fps.  The 200 +Ps @ 1080 fps recoil far more than std 230 gr, would suit me better @ 1000 fps.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for standard pressure 230gr Gold Dot
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#14]
Originally Posted By flyer:
I am looking to purchase a case of .45 ACP 230gr HP ammo to stack for a Stribog and pistol use.  Would prefer sealed cases and primers.  Want to get 1,000rds of quality HP at the best price.  Any recommendations?
View Quote
FWIW, I shot a few boxes of this Winchester 230grn JHP ammo thru my regularly carried .45s and found it super accurate. Two were 1911s, a 5” and my 3” Colt New Agent. The other was my S&W 3rd Gen 4566, an ex-LE gun.  No jamming issues either. It was as good or better than my handloads.

Currently shows OOS @ Midway but before that I bought 500-rds. Not sure if Midway’s is the *best* case pricing on this ammo but if you can source a couple of boxes locally I can recommend that you try it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900183233?pid=183233

It’s garnered a lot of positive reviews on M-USA as the best “budget” defensive 230grn JHP ammo, like this one:

This is a great low-price alternative to Federal HST 230 grain which I've also carried for years. The expansion is as reliable as HST, it cycles as reliably in my Sig, Springfield Armory and Colt 1911's and M&P Shield .45. It's a little hotter than standard target ammo, not quite +P but feels close to it. It's a great match for Federal 230 grain ball (880 FPS vs 890) which is almost identical in energy, recoil and POI at practical defensive ranges. Federal 230 grain ball has a power factor of 204,700 and this ammo is 202,400. Though as reliable and effective as HST, they don't stay fresh as long and will corrode/tarnish a lot easier from EDC and exposure to damp environments and the primers aren't sealed like the HST. So for most practical purposes they are as good as HST and a lot cheaper but they should be cycled-out more regularly than HST. I change them out as soon as they start to tarnish from EDC which for me is about every 18-24 months. If you carry less often and store them in a dry environment they will last for decades, I have boxes of these that are over 10 years old and they look new and shoot flawlessly.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top