Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2019 5:16:40 PM EDT
Has anyone had their stock black Glock frames cerakoted? I got a great deal on a couple 19/23 gen 3 frames and was considering cerakoting a couple of them to the Glock FDE & ODG colors. Any good/bad experiences? Should good companies that offer cerakote finishing know how to handle polymer?

Feel free to post pictures, as well!
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, any certified Cerakote applicator can do polymer
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have cerakoted tons and tons of them. It holds up well except for some kydex holsters, those things are kryptonite.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, I have cerakoted tons and tons of them. It holds up well except for some kydex holsters, those things are kryptonite.
View Quote
Any pictures of FDE/Green coated work you've done? I'll likely carry one of them in a kydex holster pretty often, I didn't consider wear.. Good point. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any pictures of FDE/Green coated work you've done? I'll likely carry one of them in a kydex holster pretty often, I didn't consider wear.. Good point. Thank you.
View Quote
I have tons on my site (ScottGunSmith.com), give me a min and I will post some in FDE and OD.

Not Glock but just did this to a plastic frame:

Magpul FDE

OD Green The slide is really what it looks like I do not know why these pics came out so dark

Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have tons on my site (ScottGunSmith.com), give me a min and I will post some in FDE and OD.
View Quote
You do have tons of pics... Should be sufficient. After the cerakote is the frame sticky at all? Will I lose much depth of the grip material?
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You do have tons of pics... Should be sufficient. After the cerakote is the frame sticky at all? Will I lose much depth of the grip material?
View Quote
I already pasted them above lol. No, it is not sticky at all and there is no difference, cerakote is really thin applied correctly. Like I mentioned about the only thing that will mess with cerakote is a kydex holster, they will really wear anything coating wise.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I already pasted them above lol. No, it is not sticky at all and there is no difference, cerakote is really thin applied correctly. Like I mentioned about the only thing that will mess with cerakote is a kydex holster, they will really wear anything coating wise.
View Quote
Would you quote PM me a quote for glock FDE and BFG on a 19/23 frame if shipped to you? When cerakote wears is it similar to spray paint fade or does it flake?
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here is a OD cerekoted Frame with stippling.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: it’s not that zombie shade of green. Can’t capture the color accurately
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The slide and frame both on my G19/4 is gray Cerakote done by Lipseys if I remember correctly. I like it, that said I noticed in recent days along the upper edge on both sides of the slide it seems to be wearing which I presume it to be holster wear.
I would buy it again, no regrets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I brought a brand new Gen 5 to a place in Houston that claimed to be a gunsmith shop and applicator.  I don’t think the guy really knew what he was doing after talking to him, but oh well. What’s done is done.

As you can see from the pic, the frame and texture chipped after 100 rounds. I let it cure for a month before I shot it. Curious if folks have had better luck?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here is a OD cerekoted Frame with stippling.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/299341/A11A6A31-B2F2-45C9-844F-459C14A20BCE_jpeg-914704.JPG

ETA: it's not that zombie shade of green. Can't capture the color accurately
View Quote
I like the stippling, good job!
Quoted:

That doesn't matter with cerakote. The second it comes out of the oven, it's 100% as cured as it's ever going to get. Judging by how black that frame looks under the coating, it didn't get blasted properly. When a Glock frame is blasted correctly before cerakote, the rich black sheen is gone.

We cerakote a ton of frames all the time. Holds up great if cleaned and prepped correctly. Of course kydex will wear it. It wears it on slides too though.
View Quote
Agree completely.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I brought a brand new Gen 5 to a place in Houston that claimed to be a gunsmith shop and applicator.  I don’t think the guy really knew what he was doing after talking to him, but oh well. What’s done is done.

As you can see from the pic, the frame and texture chipped after 100 rounds. I let it cure for a month before I shot it. Curious if folks have had better luck?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/311137/80B7F1CC-BAC6-499E-9877-AEE856779B39_jpeg-914965.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/311137/8F5F7323-105F-49DB-9A13-FB80FAD37305_jpeg-914966.JPG
View Quote
No he didn’t know what he was doing, Cerakote will not chip if it’s done correctly.

My gen 5 19 by C&H Custom Firearms

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Like everyone else has said.  Holds up great! Will not chip if applied correctly.

I have a sig p365 that I did The frame on.  I carry it in a custom tight molded leather holster.  Slight wear on the high spots. But I carried it everyday 24/7 for around 6months with daily plinking.

Now it’s my truck gun and carry a 48.

I’ll try and get pics of the spots.
Cerakote is great stuff if applied correctly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top