BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 6/18/2024 5:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DKUltra]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

How do I go about finding out what this is worth? Gunbroker prices are all over the place. It belongs to an old timer neighbor of mine I am helping. Does not have original box or accessories, but is in really great shape.

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Man thats pretty.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice, shoot colt an email or call them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Check serial number here Proofhouse
Certain years are better than others on post-war Colts
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Start by determining what year it is. Measure Bbl (from muzzle to front of cyl) looks to be a 4 7/8" from photo. Also looks to be in box or display case. Is there any paperwork/accessories w/ it? What's your approx. location? May be as easy as taking it to local gunshop and adding 35-40% to the offer they make. Lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks to be a more recent gun, but price has a lot to do with if the gun is first second or third generation. Some collectors consider current production 4th generation, but colt insists as no mechanical changes occurred when they changed the serial number style it is still a 3rd.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
No accessories! Box is the Colt blue box you see, but probably not original. It has been fired, but in really good condition.

will check on build date tomorrow.

Wish I could afford it myself. But trying to help a buddy out with his stuff.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Can get better pics tomorrow if you guys are interested to see them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe officially it was the Model P.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably 3rd gen.  Minimum of $2500 in that condition.

Both mine are shot every month, have holster wear and still would go for $2000 each.  I like the way Colt SAAs shoot.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go 1800 from my perspective. I think 2500 is on the high side
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 5:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DKUltra] [#12]
Ok guys trying to look up serial number and shows up on proofhouse as a 1956? But colt shows nothing. Also looking at serial numbers on gunbroker they all start with SAxxxxx usually in the five digit range. This serial number starts with an S, ends with an A.

S09692AAttachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/7/2024 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#14]
The split s number a markings started in the last 20 years or so. What some collectors call a 4th generation gun, but Colt insists there was no mechanical changes associated with the serial number format, so it doesn’t really constitute a new generation.

The production of SAA’s in the last 20 or so years has been pretty small.

In that condition with no box or papers, probably worth about 1800 on the open market.

The 4&5/8” barrels tend to be more popular/ sell better and get a better price than the longer 5.5 or 7.5 inch.

Very nice looking gun. Needs to be shot.

Standard power level 45 colt loads are what these are designed for, they should not be shot with heavy duty plus p ammo designed for rugers.

45 colt ammo has gotten crazy expensive, about a buck a shot when you can find it. This is one of those calibers that using reloads is a huge cost savings. Even with the massive increase in cost of primers, I can reload about 300 rounds for less than the current cost of a single box of 50 factory
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Current MSRP per colt website is 1799, but again they only make a limited number each year, so you are not likely to stroll into a shop and find one sitting waiting to sell, and I have heard stories of people ordering them and it taking several years to get them
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top