Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 7/11/2024 7:50:58 PM EDT
I seem to 'need' a Colt Combat Elite in 9mm. I like the looks of the black & stainless combo.

Seems to have plenty of nice features, match barrel, front serrations, dual recoil springs, and PVD finish.
Not so good is series 80, nor an arched mainspring housing. I generally prefer adjustable sights which do come on the gold cup.
The Tisas I have in 9mm is very nice but could use a sight adjustment.
I also prefer suppressed pistols.

Anyone have a Combat Elite? Thoughts?

More info: https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/colt-combat-elite-1911-government-commander-defender/389142#replay
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt quality has been questionable lately. That looks nice but what you will get might not be so.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had two, both Commanders; one 9mm, one 45. The 9mm's extractor needed some tweaking (not uncommon on 9mm guns IMO). The 45 was fine out of the box.

They're great guns. You get a lot of gun for the money. Ambi, checkering, nice slide serrations, night sights, match barrel/bushing...it's really hard to beat for the price.

You can swap out the MSH for an arched one. EzPz. Hell you can even get an S&A checkered arched unit that should match the factory checkering pretty well.

The S80 stuff is fine. Really, it is. I bet if you shot it at the range next to a gun without the firing pin safety you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

If you decide you don't want to fuck with the factory extractor if it doesn't pass the 10-8 test for you, you can replace it with a plain old blued one (EGW, whatever) and it'll blend in just fine with the rear of the slide color-wise. It really won't clash or anything.

5" 1911s are crazy light in recoil You might need to bump the recoil spring down to 12lb or so...it might be a bit oversprung out of the box as Colt likes using the same springs for 38 Super and 9mm wherever they can...
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top