Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2024 4:01:03 PM EDT
Did some live fire practice over the weekend and had a magazine randomly drop out... but no other malfunctions... did a few reloads at slidelock... which was kind of surprising, as I have aftermarket followers.

Went to do some dryfire today, and the slide was hard to rack... and now won't reassemble.

Apparently the DWX let's magazines be easily over inserted, which bends this piece of metal....
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Anyone that's dealt with CZ USA (Dan Wesson) lately knows that they're having MAJOR issues with customer service. How screwed am I? I was hoping to shoot a match on June 2nd...

There is ZERO aftermarket support right now for getting parts and I'm imagining I have to send it in for repairs...
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the ejector.

Are you using P10 mags with the plastic floor plates? I've heard of others having this issue, supposedly this is specific to the P10 mags with plastic floorplates and the DWX specific metal floorplate mags do not allow enough over insertion to hit the ejector.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mak0:
That's the ejector.

Are you using P10 mags with the plastic floor plates? I've heard of others having this issue, supposedly this is specific to the P10 mags with plastic floorplates and the DWX specific metal floorplate mags do not allow enough over insertion to hit the ejector.
View Quote

I've got aftermarket basepads and a magwell...
I have aftermarket followers too, so the slide shouldn't have even been locking back
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the ejector.  You could bend it back in place by lightly tapping on the top of it with a hammer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
That is the ejector.  You could bend it back in place by lightly tapping on the top of it with a hammer.
View Quote

Since posting, I've pounded on it with the plastic part of the screwdriver to get it back in working order... im still concerned about the eventual breakage of it though and I'm hoping they'll send me a replacement
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That wee bend won't hurt anything. Just don't make it a habit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
That wee bend won't hurt anything. Just don't make it a habit.
View Quote

If it was just the bend, I wouldn't be as concerned, but the metal has actually been cut into...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 8:20:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#7]
Check and find out if a standard Colt 1911 ejector will interchange.
If so, replacement isn't difficult.

To replace, be very careful not the twist or bend the part or the legs might snap off.  That's big trouble.
Drive the retaining pin out from left to right.
Give it a shot of Kroil and let soak over night.
If you see any signs of a Loctite having been used, warm the frame and ejector to melt the Loctite...NOT HOT, just good and warm.
Grip the ejector in a padded vise and pull the frame straight up without tilting or twisting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#8]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:
Did some live fire practice over the weekend and had a magazine randomly drop out... but no other malfunctions... did a few reloads at slidelock... which was kind of surprising, as I have aftermarket followers.

Went to do some dryfire today, and the slide was hard to rack... and now won't reassemble.

Apparently the DWX let's magazines be easily over inserted, which bends this piece of metal....
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481792/1000008472_jpg-3219326.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481792/1000008471_jpg-3219327.JPG

Anyone that's dealt with CZ USA (Dan Wesson) lately knows that they're having MAJOR issues with customer service. How screwed am I? I was hoping to shoot a match on June 2nd...

There is ZERO aftermarket support right now for getting parts and I'm imagining I have to send it in for repairs...
View Quote

Good news, I called CZ today around 1430 and got through to CS on the 2nd ring. They’ve hired more folks and are turning the CS issues around.

ETA: according to the “DWX PARTS CHART” the extractor is a CZ part. If the rumors that it’s a modified P09 top half are true, then it’s likely around a $35-40 part.

Attachment Attached File

Call DW and ask. Heck, call CZC or GGW and ask. They might know.
https://cajungunworks.com/product/17-p-0709-extractor-9mm40sw/

https://benstoegerproshop.com/cz-p-10-p10-extractor/
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Good news, I called CZ today around 1430 and got through to CS on the 2nd ring. They’ve hired more folks and are turning the CS issues around.

ETA: according to the “DWX PARTS CHART” the extractor is a CZ part. If the rumors that it’s a modified P09 top half are true, then it’s likely around a $35-40 part.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71141/IMG_4601_jpeg-3197858.JPG

View Quote

Not the extractor sadly, but the ejector... which is weirdly missing from that list... like the previous person said, I may be able to fit a 1911 one to it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: leelaw] [#10]

I've got aftermarket basepads and a magwell...
View Quote

Over insertion of 2011 platform magazines resulting in damage to the ejector has been a real concern for a long time.

The good news is that, from a cursory look, the ejector looks like a 1911/2011 9mm style, so a replacement shouldn't be that hard unless CZ went completely proprietary with their dimensions.

The bad news is that your magwell and baseplate combination is a known bad combination and should be swapped out. Your basepads are probably ok if you only do in battery reloads with them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:45:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#11]

Not the extractor sadly, but the ejector... which is weirdly missing from that list... like the previous person said, I may be able to fit a 1911 one to it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71141/IMG_4601_jpeg-3197858.JPG

Dang it. Sorry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DWX/comments/1c6t39q/bent_ejector_issue_fixes/

ETA: the CZ75 ejector is a part of the cage that holds the sear and disconnector. Not sure about DWX. I’ll keep Looking. ACxREAL has a complete takedown and reassembly video on YouTube that I’ve referenced a lot. FWIW, EGW makes a lot of the small parts for it. So it’s probably an EGW ejector. I don’t know which one.

Dan Wesson DWX disassembly Walkthrough
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
A Sig P320 Subcompact will do the exact same thing if someone is slamming full size or even XCarry mags into it.  You have to have a base to limit penetration.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Just saw this ...I bought 4 each P10 fullsize magazines off the DW webstore in Nov 2023 unused so far.  I just checked one in my DWX (is an early one)  This thread worried me I pulled slide off and found the P10 magazine had more clearence to your damaged part than the factory red based magazines.

I suspect a tolerance stack up issue between frames and magazines...with a bit more concern toward the magazine tolerences

Did you send it in with offending magazines either way DW/CZ should fix it

Should I post pictures?

I need to check the other 3 magazines I bought
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#14]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481792/1000008472_jpg-3219326.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481792/1000008471_jpg-3219327.JPG

View Quote

I did the exact same thing to a P320X5 during a 32rd USPSA stage at a major match. Nothing like turning your semi-auto into a single-shot on the clock. There is no shoulder in the grip to prevent over insertion, and I was told to use 17rd mags with 140mm extensions to prevent that from happening again. It can only happen during a slide-lock reload, so I just don't run the gun dry during a match if at all possible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Somebody please post link to "how to post pictures"
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Not that hard to tune mags by adding some material (epoxy, JB Weld, plastic weld or other) to the problematic basepads to they seat at just the right depth. I had to do this with Glock mags before and with Canik CZ 75 compact clone so I could use CZ mags with it. Prep the shoulders of the mag bases and add more material than needed, then sand down. To proper dimension. Wipe down with silicone after it cures so that it all blends in or even stiple it to match.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By critter328:
Just saw this ...I bought 4 each P10 fullsize magazines off the DW webstore in Nov 2023 unused so far.  I just checked one in my DWX (is an early one)  This thread worried me I pulled slide off and found the P10 magazine had more clearence to your damaged part than the factory red based magazines.

I suspect a tolerance stack up issue between frames and magazines...with a bit more concern toward the magazine tolerences

Did you send it in with offending magazines either way DW/CZ should fix it

Should I post pictures?

I need to check the other 3 magazines I bought
View Quote

CZ never responded to my email.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:28:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: critter328] [#18]

CZ never responded to my email.
View Quote

recently I noticed a change on the DW customer service line call them ....I can dig thru my emails for a person I went thru if needed

They own it the mags are out of spec or the pistol frame is out of spec

I went thru a few customer service person then this lady helped and fixed the problem

check your messages for a point of contact that helped me ...let me know you got it
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]

recently I noticed a change on the DW customer service line call them ....I can dig thru my emails for a person I went thru if needed

I went thru a few customer service person then this lady helped and fixed the problem

check your messages for a point of contact that helped me ...let me know you got it
View Quote

Thanks for the info! I'll send her an email... im hoping at the very least to find out if there's something on the market I can fit myself
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Thanks for the info! I'll send her an email... im hoping at the very least to find out if there's something on the market I can fit myself
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If it’s Genny, she’s great. Might take 2-3 days, but she almost always answers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Roland-G23:

I did the exact same thing to a P320X5 during a 32rd USPSA stage at a major match. Nothing like turning your semi-auto into a single-shot on the clock. There is no shoulder in the grip to prevent over insertion, and I was told to use 17rd mags with 140mm extensions to prevent that from happening again. It can only happen during a slide-lock reload, so I just don't run the gun dry during a match if at all possible.
View Quote

thats another reason many uspsa competitors get rid of slide lock intentionally as you'll always plan your reload such you dont run dry on a stage:
1) no overinsertion issues possivle
2) non slide lock (grams) followers hold 1-2 more rounds in 140mm mags
3) no premature slide lockbacks, w/rouds remaining, due to high grip/long thumbs (especially ambi slide locks)
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jdk1:
A Sig P320 Subcompact will do the exact same thing if someone is slamming full size or even XCarry mags into it.  You have to have a base to limit penetration.
View Quote

ALL pistols can have this issue if you use a magazine that is too tall and it gets over inserted. The first time anybody saw it was in the 70's when the officer size 1911 became popular. if you take a full size 1911 magazine and slam it into the compact officer size, the magazine's insertion is stopped by the ejector. Do it hard enough or long enough and you can eventually bend or snap the ejector clean off.

We saw this same issue all over again in the 90's when the glock 17 and 19 became popular. Slam a G17 magazine into a G19 without an adapter sleeve and the ejector will eventually bend or snap.

Anytime you over insert a magazine into ANY pistol by ANY method but especially if you do it when the slide is locked to the rear, the ejector takes a beating.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:22:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#23]
Originally Posted By Taskmaster86:

ALL pistols can have this issue if you use a magazine that is too tall and it gets over inserted. The first time anybody saw it was in the 70's when the officer size 1911 became popular. if you take a full size 1911 magazine and slam it into the compact officer size, the magazine's insertion is stopped by the ejector. Do it hard enough or long enough and you can eventually bend or snap the ejector clean off.

We saw this same issue all over again in the 90's when the glock 17 and 19 became popular. Slam a G17 magazine into a G19 without an adapter sleeve and the ejector will eventually bend or snap.

Anytime you over insert a magazine into ANY pistol by ANY method but especially if you do it when the slide is locked to the rear, the ejector takes a beating.
View Quote

Eh... I slammed magazines into my SP-01s way harder and probably somewhere in the thousands of times while slidelocked and I never noticed so much as a nick...

I practiced reloads on those so much I literally wore a hole in the magazine brake.

No issues from over insertion ever.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Eh... I slammed magazines into my SP-01s way harder and probably somewhere in the thousands of times while slidelocked and I never noticed so much as a nick...

I practiced reloads on those so much I literally wore a hole in the magazine brake.

No issues from over insertion ever.
View Quote

That's because you were using you were using the correct magazines and therefore not OVER-inserting the magazines. Now, slam your SP-01 mags into a P-01, PCR or 75 compact and you will damage the ejector like we are talking about here.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 8:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#25]
Originally Posted By Taskmaster86:

That's because you were using you were using the correct magazines and therefore not OVER-inserting the magazines. Now, slam your SP-01 mags into a P-01, PCR or 75 compact and you will damage the ejector like we are talking about here.  
View Quote

I was using extended basepads on them... absolutely no contact between the basepad and the magwell.

I would intentionally slam those mags too, because if I did it hard enough, it would cause the slide to release.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Any fix to the issue?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Any fix to the issue?
View Quote

No updates yet. I've been swamped with non-shootinf projects
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top