Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2019 9:55:22 AM EDT
Have never owned an FN, other than a Hi-Power, or a CZ of any type.

Looking for a compact pistol that still carries 12+ rounds.

Any advice?  Grip comfort, reliability, accessory availability, carry ease, etc.

I tend to prefer steel hammer fired guns, but the 509M has me looking.

Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
For concealed carry?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For concealed carry?
View Quote
Generally, yes.

I don't mind concealing even full size handguns.  Currently carry a Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you decide on, stay away from the CZ 2075 RAMI.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't consider the FN a serious use gun. There are multiple videos of it choking when it gets wet, as well as some parts breakages. May not impact you, but good to know as a data point.

IT DIED!! FN 509 Tactical....

FN 509 vs Water: Will It Fail?

Water Submersion Test: FN 509M vs. Glock 19 (with a cameo from the M17)
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not shot either pistol, but I did shoot an FN FNS, as well as a TA90 (CZ clone). I didnt care much for the FNS, didn't feel real good to me and I hated the trigger. I very much liked my CZ clone in every aspect,  and found it to be an excellent weapon. I like the B model CZ with the decocker, so I would suggest renting both guns and giving them a try. My vote is for the CZ.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Gents.

As always, Stay Safe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
These are two different animals.  One is a polymer framed, striker fired pistol and the other is steel, DA/SA with a hammer.

I think both are excellent, but it depends on what you like and prefer.

I don’t have a CZ anymore. (had a CZ 75B full size) But I do have the FN 509 midsize, and I absolutely love it!   Don’t let all the haters sway you. The 509 midsize has a ton of great features out of the box and my sample of 1 has performed perfectly with all kinds of ammo from cheap steel cased, aluminum cased, brass cased, 115, 124 and 147gr both ball and hollowpoints.

It has become my favorite polymer striker pistol.  It just fits my hand perfectly and I can reach the mag release and slide stop with ease.  Hand size varies and everyone has their preferences, but if you can rent one at your local range, I highly recommend you try it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Generally, yes.

I don't mind concealing even full size handguns.  Currently carry a Hi-Power.
View Quote
Take the CZ, swap in an SAO trigger from CZ Custom, and it will be as good as the hi-power but with better sights and safety.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I have both.
However that Cz should have an aluminum lower or mine does.
Like it but it just hits my hand hard for some reason.
I would look for a p07 which is shorter than both.

I am still pissed about my 509.
It wouldn't hardly release the magazines and fn's response was that I could purchase a tactical mag release. Then to bribe me, they sent me a defective magazine.

For a striker fired gun I would pick the p10c, s&w m&p 2.0 or hk vp9.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my 509 midsize. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
As a lifelong CZ guy. if I was going to carry a hammer fired compact CZ pistol for CCW, it would be a PCR.

Attachment Attached File

But if I wanted to carry a compact CZ poly frame striker fired and I wanted to make sure it held 12 rounds, it would be a P-10S.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#12]
There are a lot better options out there than the FN 509.   PPQ, P10C, G19, M&P, P07, and Canik just to name a few.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Or try the new Beretta 92x Compact. Hammer fired, and improved.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
That aint the only CZ to stay away from!
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone care to elaborate?

My Rami would not run with the factory 14 round mags, but did great on the 10 rounders. I swapped the mag springs for a stronger version, and now they work just dandy.

That sucked, but didn't really reflect on the pistol itself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are a lot better options out there than the FN 509.   PPQ, P10C, G19, M&P, P07, and Canik just to name a few.
View Quote
Even the Beretta APX Compact or Centurion is worthy of that list. Heck, even the SAR9 or the new Stoeger striker-fired gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
My Cajun Rami runs like a clock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Even the Beretta APX Compact or Centurion is worthy of that list. Heck, even the SAR9 or the new Stoeger striker-fired gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if I'd rate the SAR9 or Stoeger above the 509.  The Stoeger in particular is a rather sad piece of crap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top