Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2024 6:21:41 AM EDT
Friends,

I am a long time Glock user and have carried a Gen 5 17 for a little more than five years. In that time, I have utilized a few different slides and currently run a Zev Citadel slide, ramjet and RMR.

I’m a K9 handler and frequently have issues with my RMR and decided to go the ACRO route. I promptly purchased Ape Defense Wallace and Noveske DM slides. I shot the Ape Defense slide quite a few times and could not get it to run reliably. After several-hundred rounds, the slide will rarely fire more than one round before a stoppage occurs. The slide cycles, strips a round and fails to go into battery with the partially-loaded round’s nose stuck in / pointing at the top of the barrel. After becoming frustrated, I switched my P2 over to the Noveske slide (Zev barrel, L2D parts kit, OEM & aftermarket guide rods tried) and experienced identical issues. Ran around ten mags through (two extendos) it before throwing in the towel tonight.

Prior to shooting, both slides were lubricated and checked for fitment. The lower runs very reliably with my Zev and OEM slides….no cerakote or any weird coatings on anything. What am I missing here? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
How did the oem slide run?
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Ensure the ejector isn't dragging on the bottom of the slide.  Gut the slide and see how it moves on the rails.  If it is smooth, you may need a slightly lighter recoil spring.  The weight of the optic is slowing the slide just enough to cause problems.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 6:30:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ANDREWBISGNAR] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eviioiive:
How did the oem slide run?
View Quote

Hey, man! The OEM slide, and the Zev slide I’ve had for like 4.5+ years, run flawlessly. Absolutely no issues! Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Ensure the ejector isn't dragging on the bottom of the slide.  Gut the slide and see how it moves on the rails.  If it is smooth, you may need a slightly lighter recoil spring.  The weight of the optic is slowing the slide just enough to cause problems.
View Quote

Thanks, man! I’ll take them both apart when I get off work here shortly…i have a couple different guide rods / springs (don’t remember the manufacturers) and haven’t had any luck so far. I did shoot the Ape slide without an optic and it had the same stoppage issues so I’m not sure it’s the optic. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly, I'd run the Zev or OEM.  

Actually..... I'm cheap, if get the OEM milled and probably use that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DavidY:
Honestly, I'd run the Zev or OEM.  

Actually..... I'm cheap, if get the OEM milled and probably use that.
View Quote

Yeah, been running the Zev for years and it’s great. The OEM has been collecting dust in my safe for the same amount of time lol.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I had an issue with my gen5 17 and Zev duty slide. The rds screw was too long and contacted the extractor plunger assembly and caused problems. Take your red dot off and see if your preferred slide functions without it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rbass:
I had an issue with my gen5 17 and Zev duty slide. The rds screw was too long and contacted the extractor plunger assembly and caused problems. Take your red dot off and see if your preferred slide functions without it.
View Quote

Thanks, man! The ACRO doesn’t mount the way an RMR-footprint optic mounts. I had the same stoppages without the optic on my Ape slide so I’m assuming that’s not it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 9:07:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#9]
Originally Posted By ANDREWBISGNAR:

Thanks, man! The ACRO doesn’t mount the way an RMR-footprint optic mounts. I had the same stoppages without the optic on my Ape slide so I’m assuming that’s not it.
View Quote

Are you using OEM slide parts? ETA nevermind you said L2D

I bet you a dollar if you put all OEM slide internals and RSA in it will run.   I have had similar issues(not as bad as you describe) in 2 different after market slides.

Also, did those slides come with a striker channel liner?

Link Posted: 10/8/2024 9:27:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ANDREWBISGNAR] [#10]
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:

Are you using OEM slide parts? ETA nevermind you said L2D

I bet you a dollar if you put all OEM slide internals and RSA in it will run.   I have had similar issues(not as bad as you describe) in 2 different after market slides.

Also, did those slides come with a striker channel liner?

View Quote

Man, OEM parts were the plan all along. I did limited research but they’re unobtanium apparently. The Ape slide came assembled while the Noveske slide was nude. I assembled that one. Maybe I’ll do some shopping to try and source some OEM stuff…I have quite a few glocks in the safe and have never had issues like this from just changing a slide out. I might just borrow another gen 5 lower and see if the issues persist….doesnt make though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 10:19:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#11]

Man, OEM parts were the plan all along. I did limited research but they’re unobtanium apparently. The Ape slide came assembled while the Noveske slide was nude. I assembled that one. Maybe I’ll do some shopping to try and source some OEM stuff…I have quite a few glocks in the safe and have never had issues like this from just changing a slide out. I might just borrow another gen 5 lower and see if the issues persist….doesnt make though.
View Quote

https://www.primaryarms.com/maple-leaf-glock-oem-upper-parts-kit-fits-glock-19-19x-17-34-47-49-26-gen-5

Or you can always buy a new glock and scavenge it for parts
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#12]

https://www.primaryarms.com/maple-leaf-glock-oem-upper-parts-kit-fits-glock-19-19x-17-34-47-49-26-gen-5

View Quote

When G22s were $239 + 10% off, I gave that series though
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I have a UPK (no RSA) for $75 if you buy my G45 TTI slide too (reasonably priced)

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Glock-PSA-Dagger-slide-Gen3-Gen5-G19-G45-G19-5-MOS-TTI-Taran-Tactical-Shadow-Systems-MR920-Elite-slide/89-2475893/
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I went ahead and ordered this parts kit and some springco stuff to mess with spring weight. Super frustrating but I’m gonna hit the range a few times this week and try some more. Can’t imagine it’s still a break-in issue this far in…
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 5:09:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I knew before I clicked…
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I knew before I clicked…
View Quote

Maybe you could share some of that infinite wisdom?
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I knew before I clicked…

99% of the time a thread title is something like “Gen 5 17 slide issues,” “my Glock won’t run,” “Glock 19 stovepipes,” etc., and I open the thread it’s aftermarket parts.

My absolute favorites are “my Glock is jamming” threads where the “Glock” is a P80 frame, Zev parts kit, dagger barrel, Zaffiri slide “Glock.”
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I went ahead and ordered this parts kit and some springco stuff to mess with spring weight. Super frustrating but I’m gonna hit the range a few times this week and try some more. Can’t imagine it’s still a break-in issue this far in…
View Quote

Let us know how it goes.

Link Posted: 10/9/2024 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]

99% of the time a thread title is something like “Gen 5 17 slide issues,” “my Glock won’t run,” “Glock 19 stovepipes,” etc., and I open the thread it’s aftermarket parts.

My absolute favorites are “my Glock is jamming” threads where the “Glock” is a P80 frame, Zev parts kit, dagger barrel, Zaffiri slide “Glock.”
View Quote

I'm new to Glocks, but after two weeks of immersing myself in research and reading a lot of threads on building and issues with, one thing I'm learning is "use OEM parts" if reliability is a priority.

I'm building a G19 on a Grit Grips frame. Everything else, including the frame internals, is OEM Glock. I'll get the OEM slide milled for a red dot, and I have an OEM threaded barrel.

Link Posted: 10/9/2024 5:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ANDREWBISGNAR] [#20]

View Quote

I'm not certain why you'd belong to a forum which, almost exclusively, caters to modularity and customization with this outlook....That being said, my intention wasn't a "my glock won't run" thread...I have tens of thousands of rounds through this particular pistol and it runs flawlessly. I have assembled numerous glock and aftermarket "glock" (as you put it) slides without issue but something is not right with what I've got going on here.

Not super sorry for using the FORUM to get answers, my friend. Enjoy your day and I hope you find something else to do with your time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#21]

I'm not certain why you'd belong to a forum which, almost exclusively, caters to modularity and customization with this outlook....That being said, my intention wasn't a "my glock won't run" thread...I have tens of thousands of rounds through this particular pistol and it runs flawlessly. I have assembled numerous glock and aftermarket "glock" (as you put it) slides without issue but something is not right with what I've got going on here.

Not super sorry for using the FORUM to get answers, my friend. Enjoy your day and I hope you find something else to do with your time.
View All Quotes

It’s not my outlook, it’s just a fact.

I used to keep a ziplock bag full of OEM RSAs in my range bag. I lost count of how many malfunctioning Glocks I “fixed” at matches and classes just swapping them out for all kids of aftermarket gimmick RSAs people bought as an “upgrayydd.”

I don’t give a shit what you put on your pistol but I’ve seen variations of this same thread come up a few times a month for 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#22]

It’s not my outlook, it’s just a fact.

I used to keep a ziplock bag full of OEM RSAs in my range bag. I lost count of how many malfunctioning Glocks I “fixed” at matches and classes just swapping them out for all kids of aftermarket gimmick RSAs people bought as an “upgrayydd.”

I don’t give a shit what you put on your pistol but I’ve seen variations of this same thread come up a few times a month for 20 years.
View Quote

I generally agree with above

My question is if the OP is a K9 handler kthis implies law enforcement work and most agencies frown upon or outright prohibit modification of duty guns, so I am wondering how he is getting away with this?
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 8:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ANDREWBISGNAR] [#23]
Originally Posted By captain127:

I generally agree with above

My question is if the OP is a K9 handler kthis implies law enforcement work and most agencies frown upon or outright prohibit modification of duty guns, so I am wondering how he is getting away with this?
View Quote

Hello! I am a LE K9 handler, that's correct. Here on the West Coast it's pretty common for agencies to allow for personal firearms. This includes rifles and pistols. Our issued pistol is currently a Glock 45, RMR and x300 turbo while my team runs the OZ9 and Spear LT. No one is getting away with anything, cool your jets
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you removed the Ramjet and tested with stock RSA and barrel?
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 9:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ANDREWBISGNAR] [#25]
Originally Posted By spud:
Have you removed the Ramjet and tested with stock RSA and barrel?
View Quote

The ramjet is on my current slide and runs with no problems. I have tested both slides, which I’m hoping to switch to, with the OEM, Zev and Ape barrels with no luck. The ramjet doesn’t fit either new slide so I didn’t mess with it. OEM parts kit is on the way so that has yet to be tried in either slide.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

There's no reason to get butt hurt because what you said was true.  

It's also not just here, but everywhere.  When somebody says their Glock is not running, 97% chance it's aftermarket parts involved.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

There's no reason to get butt hurt because what you said was true.  

It's also not just here, but everywhere.  When somebody says their Glock is not running, 97% chance it's aftermarket parts involved.
View Quote

This was another really informative post. Thanks, I hadn’t figured that out yet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#28]
While I agree that OEM parts belong in life saving tools for this very reason, his delivery was too aggressive for the tech forums. Some times GD leaks in here, ya just have to look past that.

Let us know what combination solves your issues, might be something we can all learn from.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#29]
While I agree that OEM parts belong in life saving tools for this very reason, his delivery was too aggressive for the tech forums. Some times GD leaks in here, ya just have to look past that.

Let us know what combination solves your issues, might be something we can all learn from.
View Quote

Will do for sure, man! Another member linked an OEM parts kit and that should be here tomorrow. If all goes as planned, I should have that slide the-assembled and out on the range by 0900. I’ll report back as soon as I can get some shooting in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 10:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ANDREWBISGNAR] [#30]

View Quote

Went to the range with the plan to replace each part individually and test to see where the failure point was. Replaced the firing pin assembly (conveniently pre-assembled in the OEM kit) first and now it runs like a top. Can’t say I’m any less confused but I’m stoked it’s up now. Put around 1200 rounds through it today and I feel pretty comfortable saying this pain in the ass is done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Went to the range with the plan to replace each part individually and test to see where the failure point was. Replaced the firing pin assembly (conveniently pre-assembled in the OEM kit) first and now it runs like a top. Can’t say I’m any less confused but I’m stoked it’s up now. Put around 1200 rounds through it today and I feel pretty comfortable saying this pain in the ass is done.
View All Quotes

The real question is how are your thumbs doing after loading 1200 rounds in one range session? I hope you had a lot of mags and a Lula loader.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 10:25:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ANDREWBISGNAR] [#32]

The real question is how are your thumbs doing after loading 1200 rounds in one range session? I hope you had a lot of mags and a Lula loader.
View Quote

Lula, twelve mags and a sizable .50 ammo can with the rounds pre-spilled. Took a Bill Blowers pistol instructor class a few years ago and did 4000 rounds in four days so….this doesn’t even come close. My thumbprints were replaced by blisters  
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Glad you got it figured out.

Link Posted: 10/12/2024 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Glad it’s running.

We went through a handful of people trying aftermarket slides and found that they did nothing but increase failures and provided zero performance benefits.  

The gen 5 guns are inherently scary accurate, and upon demonstrating this via resting them, most people plopped the OEM slides and barrels back on.

With aftermarket plates filling the MOS quality gaps, I only recommend factory gen 5 Glocks now, and strongly encourage FCD plates to allow optic swaps.  

Personally the only thing worth doing might be a performance trigger with an aftermarket shoe and a + connector.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 11:08:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ANDREWBISGNAR] [#35]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Glad it’s running.

We went through a handful of people trying aftermarket slides and found that they did nothing but increase failures and provided zero performance benefits.  

The gen 5 guns are inherently scary accurate, and upon demonstrating this via resting them, most people plopped the OEM slides and barrels back on.

With aftermarket plates filling the MOS quality gaps, I only recommend factory gen 5 Glocks now, and strongly encourage FCD plates to allow optic swaps.  

Personally the only thing worth doing might be a performance trigger with an aftermarket shoe and a + connector.
View Quote

Thanks, man! My go-to in the past was direct milling OEM slides. My agency has about 50 slides we sent to Jagerwerks and they have always been awesome. If I could go back and do this whole process over again, I probably would just buy another OEM slide and send it in for an ACRO mill....that being said, the newer MOS options available (front serrations, decent ACRO options), look pretty good compared to the MOS platform of Christmas past. It's super rad that FCD has an ACRO plate, too. Just looked it up and noticed thats available. I think that looks like a solid option and I have always enjoyed Forward Controls' stuff. Another great option is the overwatch precision trigger shoes. I don't mess with the lower internals at all but OEM trigger parts with a flat trigger shoe has been really great compared to that of a stock glock trigger - which is miserable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Thanks, man! My go-to in the past was direct milling OEM slides. My agency has about 50 slides we sent to Jagerwerks and they have always been awesome. If I could go back and do this whole process over again, I probably would just buy another OEM slide and send it in for an ACRO mill....that being said, the newer MOS options available (front serrations, decent ACRO options), look pretty good compared to the MOS platform of Christmas past. It's super rad that FCD has an ACRO plate, too. Just looked it up and noticed thats available. I think that looks like a solid option and I have always enjoyed Forward Controls' stuff. Another great option is the overwatch precision trigger shoes. I don't mess with the lower internals at all but OEM trigger parts with a flat trigger shoe has been really great compared to that of a stock glock trigger - which is miserable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Glad it’s running.

Gen 5 MOS with FCD plates is the way. Not a big ACRO fan but I use them on all of my RMRs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top