Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2019 12:03:42 PM EDT
While the prices are reasonable I took advantage and ordered a Star BM and Beretta 92S from Classic Firearms. I got a surplus Century import model 10 revolver years ago for my son, and while it had some holster wear, it's one hell of a shooter. These pistols are the best I've seen in some time. They seem to be coming in great shape. I had an opportunity to buy a used Canik and Glock at very reasonable prices recently, but passed on them. These...not so much. I plan on giving the Star to my son (he has small hands yet, and prefers my compact 1911) and the 92S to my GF (she likes my 92FS Centurion and wants one as a nightstand gun) for Christmas. That gives me plenty of time to test them out and make sure they work
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Those Stars are seriously tempting.  Once they dry up in a year or so value is only going to increase.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The price is right , but I would prefer a S&W 59 .
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a line on a clean model 39 once. I just couldn't do it. Beautiful guns, though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The Star BM is a nice pistol and cheap but extra mags are frigging pricey. Dealers stealing them out of the box, selling the gun with one mag and asking $40 for an extra mag
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Star BM is a nice pistol and cheap but extra mags are frigging pricey. Dealers stealing them out of the box, selling the gun with one mag and asking $40 for an extra mag
View Quote
I've seen that. Classic sells them for $50 less with only one mag while only J&G seems to have mags right now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've seen that. Classic sells them for $50 less with only one mag while only J&G seems to have mags right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@cwm1150 @Rick_A

Look for BKS magazines or Sig P225/P6 mags to convert
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Ordered a Star from  J&G yesterday.  In chatting with my dealer he said some vendors are already out of them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ordered a Star from  J&G yesterday.  In chatting with my dealer he said some vendors are already out of them.
View Quote
there's boatloads of 'em still out there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought three European cop surplus P7s back when they were all over the place, but then foolishly traded traded 2 of them off for something forgettable.

You never know when the supply of some very decent guns will dry up for the duration. Get them while you can.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought three European cop surplus P7s back when they were all over the place, but then foolishly traded traded 2 of them off for something forgettable.

You never know when the supply of some very decent guns will dry up for the duration. Get them while you can.
View Quote
yeah those P7's were a steal back then.  Same with the P6's that dried up super fast at $250 each.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#11]
The Star BM is a fine pistol, especially once you take the magazine disconnect out
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Star BM is a fine pistol, especially once you take the magazine disconnect out
View Quote
That's what I've been hearing for years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@cwm1150 @Rick_A

Look for BKS magazines or Sig P225/P6 mags to convert
View Quote
That'll be a last resort. Mags are plentiful at about $45 shipped or so at this time. I'd be happy with one spare.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

there's boatloads of 'em still out there.
View Quote
I predict they will be gone within a year and then double in price.

At least that's my investment/retirement strategy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I remember picking up a Yugo SKS from AIM for $130- cleaned up real nice.  I paid $85 locally for a '38 (IIRC) Mosin- great shooter.  Those deals are long gone now!

Recently picked up my first cop trade-in HK pistol from Summit, which was also my first .40S&W handgun, and was very impressed- I am at about 80% that it was never fired after leaving the factory.  I think I paid around $400 for the gun w/box so when I see 'used' USPs selling for $700 or more I get a happy feeling inside.

There are some good deals out there.  Right now I'm picking up some lowers before the new laws in July, but I hate to see the good deals pass me by!

EDIT to add: I remember back in 2005ish there was a dealer in Lakewood that had several P7s that looked really nice; he was asking $900 but I felt like it was too much.  Oddly, as much as I would LOVE to own one, I still don't think they're $900 guns.  So no regrets other than I know I could get almost double for it now- but my firearms purchases tend to be steered towards 'utility' - in other words, the gun must fill a gap somewhere and be useful.  I don't own safe queens or investment guns.  Too many other competing interests/hobbies.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I predict they will be gone within a year and then double in price.

At least that's my investment/retirement strategy.
View Quote
People predicted that a year ago when the first shipments arrived.  Dealers have since had to LOWER the price on them to $179 to get em to move...there's literally tons available and they are sitting at $180-200/per.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one in pretty good shape, a local shop has a few in Very good condition, I may pick up another. These grips really make it shine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#18]
The Star was a little rough cosmetically and it rattles like a well worn GI 1911. It has obvious signs of significant use. The trigger seemed amazing. Still, at the range I did not do that well with it. It was a little disappointing. It's rougher shooting than I expected for a steel framed pistol. It's a sturdy gun, nontheless. I'll probably remove the magazine safety and drift the rear sight a bit. Those four rounds on the left hand periphery were all me.

20190524_160309 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20190524_160339 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

The Beretta was in great shape, save for some speckling on the front and back of the grip frame. It looked to hardly have been fired at all and felt like what is consistent with a new in box commercial gun. It was effortless to shoot and smooth shooting.

20190524_160251 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20190524_160331 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Overall, I don't mind the Star and love the Beretta. The Beretta came with an older (alloy baseplate) 92FS magazine...so the baseplate juts out a bit. I plan on grabbing a newer one with the plastic baseplate and trimming it down.

All said, for the money the Star is good and the Beretta is great.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have one in pretty good shape, a local shop has a few in Very good condition, I may pick up another. These grips really make it shine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/428750/52631613_285701155443767_3127614099983171584_n_jpg-956784.JPG
View Quote
That's a nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Good shooting with that Beretta
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
especially when you consider the piss poor sights they come with
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

The sights aren't that bad...they're the right width...just a bit stubby.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks.

View Quote
I've owned one before, they're bad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I own one now...they're fine.

I shoot various fixed sight revolvers often...so the sight picture is familiar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top