Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2024 9:55:12 AM EDT
I'm looking to have the grip angle changed on my Gen 3 17L. Tired of fighting the high pointing hump; the Glock angle was somewhat tolerable for the last 20 years with irons, but now with a red dot it's just so obvious the grip angle is way off for my hand/wrist combo.

I don't want any fancy stippling, just want the grip angle changed, and the finger grooves knocked off. I'll just wrap what's left in hockey tape.

Any suggestions for who can do the grip work?

(I'm modding the grip vs buying a new frame because I dont trust the reliability of the aftermaket frame options.)
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]
There are many YouTube videos on how to do this yourself and it's not difficult.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
A quick search brought up several places, charging $160-300+.  Done with wait times of up to 12 weeks.  That's just the pricing on grip hump removal.

If you're a DIY guy, you can buy this for $100, the flat backstrap he sells for $18 and do it yourself. Especially if you are covering up the grip with take afterwards.

https://store.otdefense.com/products/gripfix-hump-eliminator  

You could always sell the jig when you're done, or do a few cuts for friends (IIRC, no FFL needed if dropped off and completed same day, but IANAL).  

The front strap is a Dremel tool away!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Boresight Solutions. Ben is the OG grip man and does fantastic work
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A quick search brought up several places, charging $160-300+.  Done with wait times of up to 12 weeks.  That's just the pricing on grip hump removal.

If you're a DIY guy, you can buy this for $100, the flat backstrap he sells for $18 and do it yourself. Especially if you are covering up the grip with take afterwards.

https://store.otdefense.com/products/gripfix-hump-eliminator  

You could always sell the jig when you're done, or do a few cuts for friends (IIRC, no FFL needed if dropped off and completed same day, but IANAL).  

The front strap is a Dremel tool away!
View Quote

Damn, I watched the video, I thought it would be much harder but that really does look super easy.

Just gotta buy a cheap vice that can clamp to a folding table (apartment living is a drag).

I might end up going with this, that could let me do any future Glocks I might acquire...

Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Index with your thumbs. Grab your pistol with a Thumbs forward grip, point your thumbs at the target, and the sights will be where you want them. I love the Glock angle but I understand if you don’t like it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I know you don’t want to consider another frame but  they are cheap and you won’t risk mangling your original frame. I switched my Gen 3 17L to a Lonewolf frame with a GPT trigger and it works great. I think it’s better than the newest Gen 5 version.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know you don’t want to consider another frame but  they are cheap and you won’t risk mangling your original frame. I switched my Gen 3 17L to a Lonewolf frame with a GPT trigger and it works great. I think it’s better than the newest Gen 5 version.
View Quote

I had always like the look of the LoneWolf frame, but had seen mixed reviews. But didn't know they could use the new GPT trigger, which is something I'm very interested in for my 17L. Did the GPT require any mods to work with your gen 3 upper? Did you buy their stripped frame or their complete version?

And do you happen to have a pic? curious how the 17L upper looks on the lone wolf frame.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Index with your thumbs. Grab your pistol with a Thumbs forward grip, point your thumbs at the target, and the sights will be where you want them. I love the Glock angle but I understand if you don’t like it.
View Quote

Doesn't help one handed.

Just tired of having a grip angle I have to think about. I've shot Glock for 95% of my shooting for 20 years, but unless I am practicing very regularly, when I first pick up the pistol and press out the sights are high.

I barely even touch my CZ's, much less do that much shooting with them, yet I can just pick one up and press out, and the sights are aligned and flat on target.

Glock Gen 6 needs grip angle changing removable backstraps rather then the 'stack on' backstrap they currently use, which just makes the hump progressively larger.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn, I watched the video, I thought it would be much harder but that really does look super easy.

Just gotta buy a cheap vice that can clamp to a folding table (apartment living is a drag).

I might end up going with this, that could let me do any future Glocks I might acquire...

Thanks for the suggestion.
View Quote

Post results if you go this way.  I think it's a neat system that's pretty thought out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 on photo request.  I've thought of picking up a compact/full frame one day (or is it full/compact?, it's the G45 style).
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

The Timberwolf frame is smaller in circumference to the Gen 5 and has no hump. Although it does come with an extra very small humped blackstrap if you want one.

A GPT can easily be fitted to it by trimming off a small amount of plastic off the lower trigger assembly of the GPT. You will also need a Gen 5 rear plate or modify your old Gen 3 plate with a small file.

The best feature I like is the extended beaver tail as it  avoids slide bite with glocks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Ben @ Boresight will take care of you.  I have a few of his LVL-2 reduction w/Razorback mod.  They present perfect for me.  Some of the most comfortable and ergonomic guns I've shot.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Whatever you decide, just make sure you use someone that knows what they are doing.  I have had to repair a lot work, upto and including some of Robars stuff.  

Boresight does excellent work, as well as Bowie Tactical.  Before I got into the game, I had Bowie and Robar do a few for me.

I also research how the company does theirs.  Texturing applied via epoxy, or a spray on texturing, won't last very long.

TXPO
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52218/IMG_2214_jpeg-3242560.JPG

The Timberwolf frame is smaller in circumference to the Gen 5 and has no hump. Although it does come with an extra very small humped blackstrap if you want one.

A GPT can easily be fitted to it by trimming off a small amount of plastic off the lower trigger assembly of the GPT. You will also need a Gen 5 rear plate or modify your old Gen 3 plate with a small file.

The best feature I like is the extended beaver tail as it  avoids slide bite with glocks.
View Quote

Looks slick!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
A very clean look!  

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
Whatever you decide, just make sure you use someone that knows what they are doing.  I have had to repair a lot work, upto and including some of Robars stuff.  

Boresight does excellent work, as well as Bowie Tactical.  Before I got into the game, I had Bowie and Robar do a few for me.

I also research how the company does theirs.  Texturing applied via epoxy, or a spray on texturing, won't last very long.

https://i.imgur.com/0wAtGL8l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1nI5Y3El.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pikxNC7l.jpg

TXPO
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#16]

When your doing it for customers, it has to be clean.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I duplicated the Grip Fix hump eliminator by clamping two pieces of flat stock to the grip and sawing the hump off.  Then flattened the sawed off piece with a heat gun. I then molded it back on the grip and finished it off with JB Weld.  When the JB was dry, I smoothed it off and polished it nice and flat and topped it off with some flat black paint.  It turned out quite nice and others I showed it to had to look hard to see the difference.

I also was stupid enough to post on GD when the job was half through with a disclaimer that it was a work in progress.  The beating I took was epic.

Now when I grip the gun, my red dot is right there with no searching.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope the JB weld lasts.

I'm in the camp of not cutting or using any proxies, agreeing with TXPO, it doesn't last.  Cold Bore Customs gets it!

I've done one frame, just heated up the back strap with a candle, pushed it in some, then sanded it smooth, and stipled backstrap & frontstrap with soldering iron, turned out great, looks good, & more importantly  gives excellent purchase to the grip.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, I had what you want done to my G19. I did however opt for the "fancy stippling" . Tactical Texture LLC did it. Very happy with the turnaround time.

ETA: I don't think they're in business anymore.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You can still find copies of the old “grip force adapters”

Edit:  Supposedly the original, but ordering is a little sketchy
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/0wAtGL8l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1nI5Y3El.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pikxNC7l.jpg

TXPO
View Quote

I call bullshit.  Done by Robar 25 years ago.  Still looks and feels exactly the same as the day I received it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I call bullshit.  Done by Robar 25 years ago.  Still looks and feels exactly the same as the day I received it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/153587/20160313_171521_jpg-3266515.JPG
View Quote

Call it what you want, but I had a G23 reduced and textured by Robar back in the early 90's and after 6 months of getting banged around in a patrol car, the finish was flaking off.  It went back to him to get retextured, and again it started flaking off after a while of carrying.  Top that off with the fact that I have had numerous, at least 40 frames that had been done by Robar through my shop for repair and redoing the reductions, I can confirm, your example of one isn't the norm.  

Texturing the parent polymer is far more durable than applying any coating, that's just physics.  I will say despite your finish still be in tact visually, the black paint coating Robar sprays over their coating has worn of off.  Robar spray painted their grips with a black paint to cover the gray epoxy texturing material.  So yours actually doesn't look exactly the same as it did when new.  

I had a lot of conversation with Robbie Barkman back when they were still in business.  The process I came up with addressed what I believed to be negatives of Robar, and a few others reduction processes.  Filling the the backstrap, grinding off material and then applying an epoxy or spray on finish to achieve the texturing was the original way of doing reductions.

In my experience with this process, the texturing and finishes never held up.  Again, yours is the only one I have seen in almost 30 years, that doesn't appear to have any flaking to the finish, and that is rare.  There is a reason, no company uses this process for their reductions any longer.  Every company I know of now, including myself uses a different process for reductions, and textures parent polymer on the frames to eliminate flaking and finish failures.  It also allows for different patterns to be used.  Robar had one pattern only and it was due to the process they used to apply the textruring.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Call it what you want, but I had a G23 reduced and textured by Robar back in the early 90's and after 6 months of getting banged around in a patrol car, the finish was flaking off.  It went back to him to get retextured, and again it started flaking off after a while of carrying.  Top that off with the fact that I have had numerous, at least 40 frames that had been done by Robar through my shop for repair and redoing the reductions, I can confirm, your example of one isn't the norm.  

Texturing the parent polymer is far more durable than applying any coating, that's just physics.  I will say despite your finish still be in tact visually, the black paint coating Robar sprays over their coating has worn of off.  Robar spray painted their grips with a black paint to cover the gray epoxy texturing material.  So yours actually doesn't look exactly the same as it did when new.  

I had a lot of conversation with Robbie Barkman back when they were still in business.  The process I came up with addressed what I believed to be negatives of Robar, and a few others reduction processes.  Filling the the backstrap, grinding off material and then applying an epoxy or spray on finish to achieve the texturing was the original way of doing reductions.

In my experience with this process, the texturing and finishes never held up.  Again, yours is the only one I have seen in almost 30 years, that doesn't appear to have any flaking to the finish, and that is rare.  There is a reason, no company uses this process for their reductions any longer.  Every company I know of now, including myself uses a different process for reductions, and textures parent polymer on the frames to eliminate flaking and finish failures.  It also allows for different patterns to be used.  Robar had one pattern only and it was due to the process they used to apply the textruring.  

TXPO
View Quote

Negative on your assessment of the spray paint.  

I specified to Robar on the work order that my frame not be spray painted after texture from Robar as Wiley Clapp recommended back in the day.  Outside of some slight sheening on the factory polymer, it looks exactly like the day it came back to me.  I also specified no reduction due to the fact that I did not have a problem with the Glock grip angle or size, so no back strap filling or grinding was necessary.  I merely wanted an improved texture (which surely did and still does).  Would I have the same process applied now?  No.  But texturing of the actual polymer was not commonly performed back then.    

Admittedly, my gun is only an example of one and I also have never had to bang the gun around in a patrol unit or be subjected to open carry duty work, only carried concealed.  

Possibly the spay paint could be the reason you've had so many problems with the examples you've encountered?  Could the chemicals in the spray paint have done something to break down the epoxy and cause it to flake or the actual paint not adhere to the epoxy, causing it to flake?

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
The Grip Force adapter works for me and it is an inexpensive solution to the Glock grip angle issue.
KEN HACKATHORN - GRIP FORCE ADAPTER DEMONSTRATION

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Negative on your assessment of the spray paint.  

I specified to Robar on the work order that my frame not be spray painted after texture from Robar as Wiley Clapp recommended back in the day.  Outside of some slight sheening on the factory polymer, it looks exactly like the day it came back to me.  I also specified no reduction due to the fact that I did not have a problem with the Glock grip angle or size, so no back strap filling or grinding was necessary.  I merely wanted an improved texture (which surely did and still does).  Would I have the same process applied now?  No.  But texturing of the actual polymer was not commonly performed back then.    

Admittedly, my gun is only an example of one and I also have never had to bang the gun around in a patrol unit or be subjected to open carry duty work, only carried concealed.  

Possibly the spay paint could be the reason you've had so many problems with the examples you've encountered?  Could the chemicals in the spray paint have done something to break down the epoxy and cause it to flake or the actual paint not adhere to the epoxy, causing it to flake?

View Quote

It could have.  ALl of the ones I have seen and worked on, including my own, had a black finish on the epoxy.  The filler material itself could also have something to do with the texturing epoxy not adhering.  The majority of texturing loss does usually happen on the back when compared to the sides.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#26]
The best looking ones I’ve seen were by Cold Bore Custom. I’ve been intending to have him do one of mine for a while now. I did a beater 17 myself (chopped to 19 length and backstrap reduced) and it feels so much better than original, and I’m a Glock guy. My work just doesn’t look pretty.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The best looking ones I've seen were by Cold Bore Custom. I've been intending to have him do one of mine for a while now. I did a beater 17 myself (chopped to 19 length and backstrap reduced) and it feels so much better than original, and I'm a Glock guy. My work just doesn't look pretty.
View Quote
@Texaspo might know something about that place.

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had always like the look of the LoneWolf frame, but had seen mixed reviews. But didn't know they could use the new GPT trigger, which is something I'm very interested in for my 17L. Did the GPT require any mods to work with your gen 3 upper? Did you buy their stripped frame or their complete version?

And do you happen to have a pic? curious how the 17L upper looks on the lone wolf frame.
View Quote
I have a LoneWolf frame and find it points more naturally and feels better all around.  Can't comment on performance since I haven't taken it to the range yet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Texaspo might know something about that place.

View Quote

TXPO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top