Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2024 8:27:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette]
I’ve got plenty of Glocks and HK’s but they rarely come out of the safe anymore.  I composed a list of what I’ve bought since the middle of ‘22:

Henry Big Boy Side Gate All Weather 44 Magnum
Smith 586-ND 4” 357 Magnum
Smith 67-ND 4” 38 Special
Smith 15-4 2” 38 Special
Henry Big Boy Model X 357 Magnum
Beretta M9a1 9mm
Smith 625-8 JM 4” 45acp
Henry Big Boy Classic 44 Magnum
Smith 34-1 4” nickel 22lr
Smith 10-9 2” 38 Special
High Standard Model B 6-3/4” 22lr
Colt Trooper Mk III 4” 357 Magnum

With the exception of the Beretta as it came from the estate of a friend, all wheel guns or lever guns.  Well, and the High Standard, but it’s from the 1930’s.

The only AR’s I’ve shot in the last 12 months were my SP1 carbine (4x Colt scope) and my A2 (irons).  Auto pistols have all been 1911’s.

Enough blathering.  Some pictures instead.

The last range trip:

The Trooper and the Diamondback:

The Smith 22’s (including the nickel 34)

The 10-9 along with a 19-4

The 625-8 with its 325NG little brother

The 586, 624, and 629

The 67 and the 15

Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice collection!
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billbotts:
Nice collection!
View Quote

Thank you.  It’s just a small sample.  I’ve got nothing compared to the guys on the Smith & Wesson forum.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Some additional random revolver pics:

The 67 with a 64-2

Couple of newer 66’s

27, 586, and a 19

Diamondback and a 10 after the range

Nickel 29-2 with some new “shoes”

29-2 and the Henry AW

Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Over the decades, I swung back and forth between old classics and black tactical phases in my accumulations but every time the tactical phases became shorter and the old classics phase longer. I have concluded I like the old classics better, and while I do have a few modern types ( AR,glock) for specific purposes most of my shooting enjoyment does come from the old guns.
I shoot a revolver very well, and prefer them to autos most of the time.

One of my favorites is a 2” model 34 square butt, that makes the trip to the range just about every time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Must suck to be OP

I find myself going through gun-spurts   .

Sometimes it's all rifles for a few months, AR's bolts, levers.
Lately it's been more pistols, semi's and revolvers.
Sometimes I mix em up, like today.

Let em sit for a while and if I don't off them I 'dig' them again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Incredible collection, thank you for posting.  I made the decision a decade ago to forgo modern tactical firearms for more expensive (and in time, I think, more collectible) traditional firearms.  Revolvers, lever actions, and the random shotgun or two.  Again, very impressive and inspiring.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a 586 pre-lock a month or so ago, and a SP101 early this month.

But I also found a nice Colt Trooper for $499.

I really don't think I need it, but now I'm starting to want it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m in the same state of mind. My trips to the range these days are usually made with revolvers heavily influenced by the writings of Skelton, Keith, Venturino  and Taffin and lever action rifles. I still regularly shoot my AR’s and auto pistols to maintain proficiency but I find more enjoyment from the former.

My most recent acquisitions have been vintage S&W revolvers and a pair of rifles in 300 Savage and I don’t see this trend changing anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice collection and I'm right there with you.

I just bought my very first striker fired pistol and when the wife and I got back into town this afternoon, I ran a couple of magazines through it. Excellent trigger and quite accurate. But this evening when I hopped in the side-by-side to do some work in the pasture, just like always I strapped on a revolver; this time my old batter 4 5/8" Blackhawk .41 Magnum.

I have far, far more revolvers than semi's and more levers than AR's.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice collection.  I've gotten to the point where I only own 1 semi auto pistol, and 1 semi auto rifle.  The rest are lever guns, revolvers, all pared down to 38/357/44s/44m calibers.  I just find ARs, AKs, glocks, and all of it boring as hell.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
At the beginning of February 2023, I owned 3 S&W revolvers-a 4" 686-2, a 2" 10-5, and a 2" 38-2.

Since then, I've bought 41 more (two of which I've sold or traded for one I wanted more). I have another currently on layaway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 7:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elmanotejas] [#12]
I'm with ya op.

I've had (and still have) my share of Ar's and tupperware 9s.

The plastic fantastic handguns and ARs that are
basically a plumbing construct, have lost my fascination. My most recent purchases have been a Henry Big Boy  Case in .357, a 3" Kimber K6s DASA and a Springfield SA35 Hi-Power clone. I have other firearms for serious applications, but these are my most recent
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:10:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#13]
Nice collection.

I was heavy into S&W's in the mid 2000's.  Now I pick one up from time to time.  I went through a snubby revolver phase a few months ago & still have a few left.  I try to focus on guns I'll carry, and that usually means more than 5-7 rounds.  But I think I'm going to start carry wheel guns a little more.  I usually always carry a J frame as a back-up anyway, so I always have a quick 5-6 more rounds if I need it.

I've been doing the 1911 thing recently, but I picked-up these SP101's Friday & Saturday. 1990 3" .38 Spl & 2004 2 1/4" .357.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
At the beginning of February 2023, I owned 3 S&W revolvers-a 4" 686-2, a 2" 10-5, and a 2" 38-2.

Since then, I've bought 41 more (two of which I've sold or traded for one I wanted more). I have another currently on layaway.
View Quote

lmfao and I thought that was a lifetime collection when I see your pics
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:19:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#15]
Originally Posted By chase45:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chase45:
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

Nope, it's just been the driving force of my collection for the last year and a half. I've bought some other guns during the same time, but the majority of my purchases have been S&W wheel guns.

Over the last few years, a lot has changed in my life. Between a divorce and a much better paying job, I'm now in a position where I have more disposable income and nobody to tell me I can't spend it how I wish. (Oh, and I have primary custody of my two daughters, so I actually get child support from my ex-wife. LOL)
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I feel I should be blaming you for this, OP:

Recently purchased a Colt Trooper MKIII, took it out, shot wonderfully.

Colt along with my pre-lock Smith 586. Now I need a .357 Ruger to complete the set.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]
It's just way more fun to hunt around for older Colts and S&Ws. Like the OP, I have my 'tactical' rifles and plastic framed handguns, but they're like Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys...they're reliable tools that you really shouldn't get excited about.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#18]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
I feel I should be blaming you for this, OP:
https://i.imgur.com/lGJn0GL.jpg

Recently purchased a Colt Trooper MKIII, took it out, shot wonderfully.

https://i.imgur.com/WXQNvup.jpg

Colt along with my pre-lock Smith 586. Now I need a .357 Ruger to complete the set.
View Quote

Nice!  Now swap the hammer spring in the Trooper with a Wolff 13# and you’ll like it even better.  I know the Trooper isn’t “pretty”, but I like it more than I thought I would.  It’s got a bit of an “industrial/military” feel to it with the chunky frame and less polished finish.  My Diamondback is prettier, and I love all my various Smiths more, but there’s something about that Trooper…

Oh, and more revolver pics:

66-1

Pre-27

Another 66-1, this one went to the Smith Performance Center

Some random snubs

A Colt SAA and a New Frontier

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Very nice OP.

I also have given up on the plastic fantastics.

Metal for me. Revolvers, 1911s or semi-autos only.  
Just a sample.

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Came in here expecting to see non modern firearms. Left disappointed.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 12:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#21]
The first handgun I was legally allowed to purchase on my own was a S&W 629, when I was 21. I then got into the semi-auto handguns more and sold the 629 to fund the next venture but now I am really liking/preferring revolvers again now. Not that I don't like my newer semi-autos but revolvers just have a certain charm about them.

On a side note, if you like revolvers, wait until you get a hold of a lever gun. Another rabbit hole I fell into.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Came in here expecting to see non modern firearms. Left disappointed.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443141/IMG_0933_jpeg-3310456.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443141/IMG_0934_jpeg-3310457.JPG
View Quote

How far back you wanna go?

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Some very nice guns in this thread.

I used to carry a revolver often but I switched to semi-autos for most carry other than in the woods- I never quit shooting and practicing with them though and I always take at least one any time I go shooting and I still consider myself proficient with them.  While I can definitely see and appreciate the utility of modern striker fired/polymer framed guns, I've never really warmed up them, they're just a tool to me.  Same with ARs vs lever and bolt guns.  There's just something about holding and shooting a good revolver and lever gun that puts a smile on my face.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In before Smashy shows us all up.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah I find myself in the same situation. The only modern auto-loading firearm I have at this point is an AR15 just because I guess everyone ought to have atleast one semi-auto "military style" rifle for "interesting times". And I have plans to ditch it for a 5.56 AK soon enough. Because AKs just got a vibe.

Beyond that, I've gradually sold my semi-auto pistols and other rifles, and am down to just bolt-action rifles, pump-action shotguns, and revolvers. Planning to get a single shot Henry 12ga eventually. And maybe build a bolt-action handgun similar to an XP100 just for shits and grins.

And I'm not even a codgery old fudd. I just like manual-operated guns. Just like people enjoy manual transmissions. There's certain mechanical purity to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top