Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2024 8:51:16 AM EDT

I have some ammo for self-defense out of short .38 Special barrels, so just looking for more plinking/target ammo.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-special-ammo/500-round-case-38-special-fmj-130-grain-prvi-partizan-ammo-pph38sf

Or is Winchester a better choice for $30 more per 500 rnds?

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-special-ammo/500-round-case-38-special-winchester-130-grain-fmj-ammo-q4171

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the PP but have never used the Win'
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have fired Prvi-Partisan in 9mm and .30 Cal M1 Carbine.     Average accuracy, maybe slightly under-powered, but zero malfunctions.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
In case you are planning on reloading also, I found that PPU has quite thin walled casings. The Winchester would be more suitable for reloading but both are ok for casual shooting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By darg508:
In case you are planning on reloading also, I found that PPU has quite thin walled casings. The Winchester would be more suitable for reloading but both are ok for casual shooting.
View Quote

Thanks, guys.  I read every post even if I don’t quote and comment.

I don’t reload.  I have other PPU ammo calibers and I really like them.  Just making sure the .38 Special doesn't anything obviously wrong with it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used them both in a S&W 442.  They're fine.  If you're using TK custom moon clips, IIRC the web of the PPU was a bit too thick to fit.

I think if you're out of more potent self defense ammo, the Winchester bullet with a meplat will do more damage than the round nose PP so there's a slight advantage to the Winchester.

The last time I bought Winchester, it was $14 a box and I only bought 10 boxes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_314:
I've used them both in a S&W 442.  They're fine.  If you're using TK custom moon clips, IIRC the web of the PPU was a bit too thick to fit.

I think if you're out of more potent self defense ammo, the Winchester bullet with a meplat will do more damage than the round nose PP so there's a slight advantage to the Winchester.

The last time I bought Winchester, it was $14 a box and I only bought 10 boxes.
View Quote

Thank you!  Yeah, ammo prices have not been kind to us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top