Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 11:13:40 AM EDT
I bought one of these recently knowing that a lot of people have issues with them running with the comp and decided to roll the dice. Well mine is one of those. First half of the mag whether 17rd or 23rd it seemed to do well but after that it constantly choked. Fail to feed every few, sometimes every round. I pulled the comp off at the range and it ran 100%.

Has anyone bought one of these, experienced the issue and resolved it while retaining the comp? I think a lighter recoil spring would fix the problem but I’m hesitant to put an aftermarket in because I don’t like running aftermarket parts on carry guns. Everything seems smooth so I’m not convinced this is something that will go away with break in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What ammo?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It did it with HST, AE, and Speer. It’s not an ammo issue, this is a known issue with this model gun when running the comp.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I get a spring calibration pack from Wolff Gun Springs and find the one that works for you.

Or un hotter ammo.

Does the Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo work (for range/practice use?)  That is noticeably more recoiling in my M&Ps than run of the mill FMJ ammo (CCI, Win 115 grain, Federal, etc.)  Another higher recoiling ammo is the Win. 115 grain FMJ with the flat nose.

Might try locking the slide back and letting it sit in a storage location like that for a week or so.  I know everyone says that won't make the spring weaker but it sure seems to make magazine springs shorter (and sometimes weaker.)  I just had an issue with my Shield Plus with my four carry magazines.  All full loaded (mix of 13 and 15 round mags.) that don't get used for range practice.  I was working on a second Shield Plus 4" 9MM a few weeks back and found none of those four magazine would lock the slide back when empty.  Thought I had some issue with the 4" conversion and got out my carry Shield Plus and they wouldn't lock the slide back on it either.  The few times I have shot one empty they've worked.  Now they don't

All the magazine springs in those 4 mags were removed and they're "shorter" than the springs in the newer magazines.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 1:20:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobweaver] [#4]
Is the comp loosening up and turning slightly?  That’s what was creating stoppages on mine. Fixed that with my own thread locker and now it’s tuning perfect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:
I get a spring calibration pack from Wolff Gun Springs and find the one that works for you.

Or un hotter ammo.

Does the Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo work (for range/practice use?)  That is noticeably more recoiling in my M&Ps than run of the mill FMJ ammo (CCI, Win 115 grain, Federal, etc.)  Another higher recoiling ammo is the Win. 115 grain FMJ with the flat nose.

Might try locking the slide back and letting it sit in a storage location like that for a week or so.  I know everyone says that won't make the spring weaker but it sure seems to make magazine springs shorter (and sometimes weaker.)  I just had an issue with my Shield Plus with my four carry magazines.  All full loaded (mix of 13 and 15 round mags.) that don't get used for range practice.  I was working on a second Shield Plus 4" 9MM a few weeks back and found none of those four magazine would lock the slide back when empty.  Thought I had some issue with the 4" conversion and got out my carry Shield Plus and they wouldn't lock the slide back on it either.  The few times I have shot one empty they've worked.  Now they don't

All the magazine springs in those 4 mags were removed and they're "shorter" than the springs in the newer magazines.
View Quote

I’ve had similar experiences leaving mags loaded and might try that. I’ve got no interest in running aftermarket springs to make this thing run though.

I haven’t shot Winchester ammo in years because it’s so damn filthy. I shoot AE 147gr FMJ for range because it shoots to the identical POI as the 147gr HST that I carry and have no interest in changing that. Tried some Speer 115gr FMJ I had just in case it was a feeding issue with the flat nose 147’s or hollow points and it made no difference.

I’m going to call S&W Monday and see what they say but typically the CS people aren’t much help and just give canned answers or say to send it in. I figure there’s gotta be someone out there that has this same model and found an actual solution to the problem aside from removing the brake.

If I can’t make it work I’ll probably just pick up a standard barrel for it and run it like that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
Is the comp loosening up and turning slightly?  That’s what was creating stoppages on mine. Fixed that with my own thread locker and now it’s tuning perfect.
View Quote

Nope it had a healthy dose of red loctite. I couldn’t get it off without getting the barrel hot AF.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
124 Gr on mine runs perfectly. 115 Gr does not feed every round. It took going to a 13 to 14 lb recoil spring to feed like it should. I have found if the compensator company states it was designed to not require recoil spring tuning, mine have run perfectly. Just my experience. I use comps on 90 % of my pistols and will not carry any until they work right. NATO spec runs perfectly in all of them
As well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top