Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2024 11:01:21 AM EDT
I’m helping with an estate.  I have requested serial numbers but don’t have them yet.

Is this a prelock Model 19?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have no idea about this one

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Top appears to be stainless steel. That would make it a model 66. Pinned barrel would make it Pre 1982.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Open the cylinder and look for the model inside the frame.   The first gun looks like a Model 66 based on the trigger and hammer vs a nickel 19.    

The second appears to be an M&P or Pre Model 10.    Older with the extra screw.  A solid old example with some nice looking grips.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah. I think the first posts nailed this. The spot to check is just inside where the cylinder swings down when opened.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The blued M&P looks to be a refinished BSR .380/200. Barrel also looks like it was shortened from 5" to 4". After WWII many surplus BSRs were sold on the post war commercial market, with the modifications I mentioned as well as being re-chambered to .38 S&W Special. This made them more appealing to U.S. buyers
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  All I have is pictures.  I’ve asked for serial numbers and model information but it’s an old lady and I don’t know if she can even open the cylinder 🙂
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The blued M&P is a pre-WWII gun with the "long action", you can tell by the visible hammer pin partially under the cylinder release. Need to find out if the right side barrel caliber rollmark says 38 S&W, or 38 S&W Special.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 12:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlvinYork] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rrbgeb:
Open the cylinder and look for the model inside the frame.   The first gun looks like a Model 66 based on the trigger and hammer vs a nickel 19.    

The second appears to be an M&P or Pre Model 10.    Older with the extra screw.  A solid old example with some nice looking grips.  

View Quote

this. it will also tell you which variation of the revolver it is. Contact whoever is holding them and ask them to do it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 looks like stainless not nickle.  66 most likely.  There are nickeled model 19s.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#9]
Those grips on the bottom gun look exactly like those on my M&P 1905, 4th Change. They're plastic and are known as Franzite grips. They were made by a Chicago company, Sports, Inc, from the 1930's until the 1960's and were popular many years ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As an aside, the company which created Franzite grips, Sports, Inc., was owned by Peter von Frantzius, who, as the owner of von Frantzius Sporting Goods, supplied guns to various members of the Chicago underworld, to include guns which were used in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre (the store and the guns are mentioned in the coroner's inquest into the massacre).
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Bottom gun looks like a war model or early post war m&p model by looking at the end of the ejector  rod knob , has a half round  front sight, and a long throw hammer. Could tell more with a serial #
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:55:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunrunr] [#11]
Looks like the barrel has been shortened.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Here to confirm people's suspicions. Top gun is 100% a 66. Bottom gun has 100% been shortened and refinished, original caliber as .38 S&W does suggest it's a British Service Revolver from early WWII. It's probably been reamed for .38 Special too.

First gun is fairly valuable, say $800. Second gun is not, maybe $350 at most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top