Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#1]
It's about time. I have been wondering when they were going to get around to making one, especially for the Shield Plus. Between the newer flat trigger and the comp, I am gonna have to get one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#2]
Meh, swing and a miss. Its not a real carry comp - they just ported the end of the barrel and cut the slide to look superficially like a blended-in compensator. Having built and shot several ported 9mm M&P pistols, I can confidently say this is snake oil that will offer marginal effectiveness at best. I am sure the Guntubers will swoon over it, but the only way to get significant performance improvement is a real compensator threaded onto the muzzle (which I have ultimately settled on). Also, it looks like their "innovative clear sight cuts" might get in the way of mounting an SRO... we will see I guess. Lastly, the iron sights are nice, but too short for use as BUIS with an optic.

S&W have some great relationships with top USPSA/IPSC competitors - why they don't actually ask them for their feedback is a mystery.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d bet it’s significantly cheaper to do the ported barrel vs a fit comp but who knows. I’d already have a Staccato XC if it wasn’t so expensive. I’d think they could do it at OEM level. I think Sig did a 320 that’s similar but I think it’s expensive.

The polymer guns seem to struggle when they get too expensive. Most people really seem to want the $400-$600 pistols.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I’d bet it’s significantly cheaper to do the ported barrel vs a fit comp but who knows. ...
View Quote

Not necessarily - S&W offered a Spec Series with muzzle comp last year for the same price, but overall length was too long for reasonable carry and the comp was some cheesy aftermarket thing that looked like ass... I can do that myself . What they need is a true carry length gun (say 4.5"-equivalent max including the muzzle compensator) and a nice cosmetic blend of the comp to the slide (like the Staccato XC you referenced). Not rocket science.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 4:23:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#5]
That full-size makes me feel things

Video says they fixed the LCI venting gas straight on the optics lens issue.   Floyd’s Custom shop M&P from the factory basically.  

Sure good thread attached  actual comps work better but ported barrels work well too.  snake oil is not what I’d use to describe it. They aren’t marketing it as an open gun.

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If the grip on the shield plus was just a little longer, I would get one for sure. I especially love that they aren't forcing you to get their low-end CT red dot in order to get the package. That's one reason I haven't gotten the long PC shield plus already.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Nice.

Hoping we see a 5"

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The ones I've seen have Springfield MA on the frames and Maryville TN on the slides.  Sup with that?
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BigSky171:
The ones I've seen have Springfield MA on the frames and Maryville TN on the slides.  Sup with that?
View Quote

I think they are still making plastic stuff in Springfield.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#11]
The slide serrations are not doing it for me at all. Wish it had their normal "fish-gill" look or the slide design of their new Bodyguard 2.0.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Why tf did they have to make the slide LGBTQ?
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Who asked for this? I'll keep my Shield Plus with a comp on it
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
The compact checks a lot of boxes for me.  I'm just not a big fan of plate mounted optics.  I wish I could get one direct milled for an RMR, or RMS footprint.  I would actually prefer RMS footprint for a full size EPS.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking to pick up one of these in full size. As far as I can tell it should fit my current holsters. While the built in comp won't be quite as effective as a full size aftermarket one it should be quite a bit more reliable than the spec series is proving to be.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
...Also, it looks like their "innovative clear sight cuts" might get in the way of mounting an SRO...
View Quote

I think you're off on this.  It looks like all they did was leave off the slide half of the circular cutout that is on previous optics ready M&Ps.  The slide is still flush with the barrel hood as always.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By KissMethod17:
The slide serrations are not doing it for me at all. Wish it had their normal "fish-gill" look or the slide design of their new Bodyguard 2.0.
View Quote

That 2.0 is a slick design. If they just increase the dimensions in every way, it'd be sweet!
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]
We tested the carry comp against other slides and my personal impression is the comp brings very little to the table. You can see the recoil in this video.
Examining recoil with various M&P slides.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Mlazarus:
We tested the carry comp against other slides and my personal impression is the comp brings very little to the table. You can see the recoil in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVY4fQH7TYg
View Quote

That's kind of disheartening.  I know some of it is perception with comps but the P365 Macro Comp I had, seemed to make a difference in recoil compared to a non-comped P365. I wonder, if anything, the Shield Comp model will do. Thanks for the video.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:24:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ag04blast] [#20]
I want one in the Shield Plus version!  I need to find one in person.

Big plus for me is the 3 mags each of different capacity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top