Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2024 11:07:44 AM EDT
https://atakaindustries.com/firearms/pistols/

Ataka Industries has a bunch of surplused Model 10s (10-8 in nickel, 10-10 in stainless, Model 64s, etc) for sale, for cheap, depending on stocks. They're all 4" bull barrels. I got a "grade B" 10-8 in nickel with wood stocks in....it looked pretty bad when I got it. Detail disassembled, put all the large parts in an ultrasonic with Simple Green/water, and let it run for a half hour or 45 minutes while I cleaned the rest of the small parts with other cleaners that didn't have ammonia (don't use Hoppes #9 or anything with ammonia on nickel guns!). When it came back out, it was...well, scratched up a bit; I mean it was in a security guard's holster/security company's safe for like 40 years...but internally it was pretty clean and the springs were still good; locks up tight, very little endplay, overall a very healthy gun.

The feeling I'm getting is they're a reseller/dropshipper but I could be %100 wrong.

Pardon the blotchy/mottled look - this was taken outside on a %95 humidity day, a couple minutes after I took them outside from a cool A/C controlled inside, so they condensated almost immediately...tried to wipe it off a couple times but oh well. This was after a range trip, and before I cleaned the two guns in the photo:

The guns are marked TWC - The Wackenhut Corp - a security company a-la Brinks, stuff like that.

The only functional change I did was back the strain screw out a full turn; it was cranked all the way in. DA was really nice as it was; it's even nicer now and touched off everything I fed it (which was admittedly not a whole lot). Shot great. I've got a set of VZs, same checkered stocks as on the Model 19 Carry Comp in the picture, just black, coming in soon. I also have a BK grip adapter coming in as well in case I feel like using the Magnas some more (they're nice and all but not really designed for people with huge hands...like me )

I'm seriously considering buying a second one

Yes - factory nickel - frame and cylinder marked "N".
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Good price for a solid, serviceable revolver. What grade did you buy?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#2]
confused....because a model 10 in stainless is not a model 10....its a 64
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_Ed] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Landpimp:
confused....because a model 10 in stainless is not a model 10....its a 64
View Quote

Yeah, I don't know if he meant to put in nickel, or what...and it's S&W; they might have made a run of 10-10s in stainless and forgot to mark them 64s. Who knows. I'm considering ordering one of those too, so...maybe I'll find out soon?

Looking at the pictures though - I see some wear at the muzzle that seems to me would be something a Nickeled gun would have, not stainless...so the description might be wrong.

Edit - not that it matters...they appear to be sold out
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:

I got a "grade B" 10-8 in nickel with wood stocks in...
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Also just ordered another Grade B, this time with one of the rubber grips, since it's all they seem to have left in the grade Bs

And now I need to sell some stuff to pay for it all
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ameshawki] [#6]
Best price on a Model 10 in a long time.  If I didn't already have twenty plus I'd order one.

The strain screw is supposed to be cranked all the way in.  Backing it out is asking for light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:24:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#7]
How reputable is the company? Where are they located? I don't see an address anywhere on their site, unless I am missing it.

OP, are you G. O. by chance? I saw a pic on "X",thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
@Chase45
@MRW
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Neat, I sold an old 10-5 to buy a .357, kinda wished I didn't, just because I wanted to rebarrel to a heavier barrel and make it 3".
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, I could have bought my service model 10 Nickle, for $75
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By patw:
How reputable is the company? Where are they located? I don't see an address anywhere on their site, unless I am missing it.
View Quote

The gun shipped out of VA, so I think they're located there (though like I said, maybe it's being drop-shipped? No real idea). They've got some of the gun twitter sphere in their back pocket, they came recommended from some folks I trust there, and the guys who mentioned them would go nuclear on a scam, so...I think they're legit. They did take a couple days to ship, but they also mentioned the delays on twitter since that seems to be mostly where their word of mouth is working, so...YMMV?

They're probably a small warehouse or something like that, and they only seem to take online payments though I don't know if you contacted them if they'd take a check, and if they'd give you an address that way if you really needed one.

I mean clearly they're not a scam; they did ship what I ordered..
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
Neat, I sold an old 10-5 to buy a .357, kinda wished I didn't, just because I wanted to rebarrel to a heavier barrel and make it 3".
View Quote

These are factory nickel guns so while you could cut it down I think you'd probably have to have it stripped first so it wouldn't look like ass.

Since I dunno how S&W does nickel (electroless? Copper underneath?) I'm afraid to use Hoppes on it

The internals were pretty good btw - I took it all the way down just to make sure they weren't all rusty inside but the internals were really clean, if dry. The thumb latch for sure needed some scrubbing and under the stocks did as well; while it looked like "rust" from afar it was just grime/dirt/skin
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Never ever back a stain screw out. All the way tight is the only way. A partially loosened strain screw WILL loosen more and cause light strikes.

My rule I
A heavy trigger gun that goes bang every time is FAR superior to a light trigger gun that misfires
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I bought two C grades.  Hopefully they’ll be good project guns.

Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#16]
They seem to take 4-5 days to ship; I ordered my 2nd B-grade in the middle of last week and got the shipping notification this morning.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
They seem to take 4-5 days to ship; I ordered my 2nd B-grade in the middle of last week and got the shipping notification this morning.
View Quote

I haven’t gotten an invoice from them yet to pay.  I’m assuming it’s because I ordered them over the weekend. There’s a note during checkout saying it may take up to one business day for them to send it.  I’ve been checking my junk mail, just in case.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ARnTN:

I haven’t gotten an invoice from them yet to pay.  I’m assuming it’s because I ordered them over the weekend. There’s a note during checkout saying it may take up to one business day for them to send it.  I’ve been checking my junk mail, just in case.
View Quote

Yeah ordering over the weekend, they don't invoice until someone checks and sends one; I ordered my first one on a Saturday I think and didn't get the invoice until Monday - a little surprised you haven't gotten one yet today, but maybe they got socked in...who knows?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARnTN] [#19]
Yeah, I’m in no rush. You’re post on arfcom might’ve been what swamped them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ARnTN:
Yeah, I’m in no rush. You’re post on arfcom might’ve been what swamped them.
View Quote

Nah, I found them through gunbro twitter...I'm sure I'm not the only one
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 8:11:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_Ed] [#21]
Got my 2nd one in this afternoon, detail disassembled it into my too-small ultrasonic...

...and one of the extractor pins went missing One of them was in the cylinder and one of them came out with the extractor; I figured no big deal, they'd stay in their respective parts, right? Nah...when it was all done I pulled the cylinder out and it had no pins in it; I pulled the extractor out and it had no pins either. I very carefully started emptying the cleaner, got about half the liquid out (I figured the pins would stay at the bottom and not go out when I was pouring it out, at a not very steep angle; just deep enough so I could get my gloved hand in), and grabbed a magnet. Scoured the bottom and got one, but...the other must have gone over the side, somehow

The holes in the cylinder are blind holes; they don't go all the way through so it's not like one pin went in super deep or went through it. Sigh, oh well. Poppert's has pins in stock so I ordered a couple from there, maybe they'll have a factory nickel one too...who knows.

Otherwise - the 2nd gun wasn't as "great" as the first one; it had been banged up a bit more for sure; some dents here, dents there, stuff like that. Under the side plate was pretty grimey; lots of sweat collected. Same under the grips. Pretty much all of it came out in the ultrasonic; I hit it with a brush as well to loosen it up half way through. Bore looks good; no remarkable endshake, no pushoff. The nickel itself is pretty beat up in some spots but it's not flaking or anything (it's also a factory nickel gun; N on the cylinder and on the frame under the stocks). All in all another pretty good shooter (probably) for less than $300. Not quite ratty but you can tell it spent a lot of time banging around in a holster; doorframes, counters, etc etc etc.

Once I make sure it shoots, I'll probably just zip it up in a case and leave it in the back of the truck with a handful of speed strips and a couple boxes of ammo Hell it should survive MN winters just fine...

Top is the first one I got in (painted the front sight red and added the BK grip adapter) - bottom one is the one I just got. The other side has a bit more marks and wear on it but still not bad.

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Wonder how those Tarass m82s are?
Never owned one.
I do have 15-20 s&w revolvers of various configurations and vintages. m10, post war pre m10 and HE pre war types 38.
Nothing rare or worth any serious money.
Which is why I can't get that excited.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ll be interested to see what the C grades look like.  Yours cleaned up pretty nicely.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Good post if any are left in a week I might grab one. Gotta wait on payday
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By meistermash:
Wonder how those Tarass m82s are?
Never owned one.
I do have 15-20 s&w revolvers of various configurations and vintages. m10, post war pre m10 and HE pre war types 38.
Nothing rare or worth any serious money.
Which is why I can't get that excited.
View Quote

I wouldn't even consider one of the Tauruses - they're not that much cheaper ($10?) for the respective grades, and the odds of them being off in some fundamental way is much higher. At least the Smiths you could probably send back to the factory for a refresh if you needed...I doubt it on the Taurus. Remember these were probably carried a ton and banged around, but I doubt they were fired more than 50 rounds every few years for qualifications.

The two examples I have have very minimal cylinder end shake and absolutely zero yoke end shake. One of them was damaged a bit by flicking the cylinder in but appears to still be in time and lock up solid, so the peening and raised edges seem to be more cosmetic than functionally detrimental.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top