Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2024 8:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567]
The Kimber K6xs.  

Just a little bigger than a J frame.  About the size of a Colt Detective Special and even uses the same speed loaders
6 shots of .38 spl. +P
Better sights than most J frames
Better trigger than most J frames or Ruger LCR's
weighs 1 oz more than your standard S&W 442/642
A true 2 inch barrel vs. Ruger or S&W's 1.87" That little extra length of barrel can actually affect velocity and HP expansion.

Probably the best video I've seen comparing it to a J frame.

New Kimber K6XS 6 Shot Alloy Frame Revolver

I've got large hands, so I run a larger grip.  But there's also smaller boot grip options.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya prob not bad . I ll stick w my Smith n Wesson .

Im surprised someone else is getting imto the revolver game .  But glad to see it .
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Have one IWB at the moment.  Love it.  Swapped the grips for the smaller ones that came with my K6.  Shoots 125gr +P Golden Sabers about 2” high at 7 yds.  Very shootable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bwcaq:
Have one IWB at the moment.  Love it.  Swapped the grips for the smaller ones that came with my K6.  Shoots 125gr +P Golden Sabers about 2” high at 7 yds.  Very shootable.
View Quote

I took a bunch of my snubs out and tested different loads to see what each gun preferred. Most liked the Rem. GS.  I wrote it all down in a log book for future reference.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I like snubbies, and the thought of an innovative one from a new manufacturer sounds great…

…but with the absolute dogshit quality control and customer service I’ve experienced with kimber 1911’s and rifles, I can’t make myself try one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ranman223:
Ya prob not bad . I ll stick w my Smith n Wesson .

Im surprised someone else is getting imto the revolver game .  But glad to see it .
View Quote

Same here. I've been wanting to buy the all stainless version for a few years, but other stuff just takes interest. I already have a handful of snubbies, so this would just be an add-on to the collection.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#6]
It looks like a tool-room prototype that just got shoved into production.

They should hire someone that knows how to give a gun a soul.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Any idea where poi is with 148gr WC ?
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Hard pass if it runs like the Kimber 1911s I've had.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 9:35:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#9]
I still like my old Colt Agent. Light, small, works. Agent on top, Marshal on bottom.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 9:57:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#10]
Originally Posted By D-der:
View Quote

Probably be an individual gun issue.  I can say when I had my two-steel frame K6s', both clocked Double Tap 148 gr WC's at around 730-740 fps.  Which is probably ideal velocity for penetration with these rounds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dump1567:

Probably be an individual gun issue.  I can say when I had my two-steel frame K6s', both clocked Double Tap 148 gr WC's at around 730-740 fps.  Which is probably ideal velocity for penetration with these rounds.
View Quote

That's what I carry in 38 snub's, hence the question.
The idea of a problem free 6 rd pocket-able snub with usable sight's that hits to the sight's with em has my attention but,
If POI is all over the place from gun to gun I think I'll pass and just stick with 5 in my 642 UC and LCR.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
They even have a model with real sights. If they came in a 7 shot 327 federal, they would have a sale.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#13]
the RUGER LCR is ugly, but lighter then a J-frame Smith, and has a better trigger, and sights.

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

the RUGER LCR is ugly, but lighter then a J-frame Smith, and has a better trigger, and sights.

https://i.imgur.com/qDA25tb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY3XP8Ghe1E
View Quote

The LCR has better sights than my 642 Pro but, the UC has an 8.5 lb trigger, better sights than the LCR and...
It ain't ugly
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Ruger LCRx, same bang for less bucks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#16]
The Kimber K6xs.  

Just a little bigger than a J frame.  About the size of a Colt Detective Special and even uses the same speed loaders
6 shots of .38 spl. +P
Better sights than most J frames
Better trigger than most J frames or Ruger LCR's
weighs 1 oz more than your standard S&W 442/642
A true 2 inch barrel vs. Ruger or S&W's 1.87" That little extra length of barrel can actually affect velocity and HP expansion.

Probably the best video I've seen comparing it to a J frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMiTPNMjN6c

I've got large hands, so I run a larger grip.  But there's also smaller boot grip options.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19737/IMG_0950_jpg-3316035.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19737/IMG_0951_jpg-3316032.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19737/IMG_0949_jpg-3316033.JPG
View Quote
It seems surprisingly nice for a Kimber.

They can call me when they make one in .32
My 632UC is a high bar to clear for the BUG/deep carry peice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Today's carry guns.  You can kind of see the comparison in size to my 642.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
It seems surprisingly nice for a Kimber.

They can call me when they make one in .32
My 632UC is a high bar to clear for the BUG/deep carry peice.
View Quote

If they did do a .32, it could probably be a 7 shot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

View Quote

I don't think the LCR is ugly personally. It's got a certain utilitarian appeal to it.
The lines are there. And the plastic doesn't bother me.

The Kimber just looks... wrong. Like a Cybertruck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
LCR' s may be on the homely side but, in my experience they're good shooter' s. I've been pocket carrying / shooting my 9mm for the last 3 days.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Mine is GTG with wadcutters out to 25 yards.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 3:56:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BorderShift:

Mine is GTG with wadcutters out to 25 yards.
View Quote

Thanks, you happy with it, no issues?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#23]

If they did do a .32, it could probably be a 7 shot.
View Quote
That would be a nice selling point.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:31:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billbotts] [#24]
Kimber got it right.  They hired Grant Cunningham to come out of retirement and help them with their revolver designs.  This has a far better trigger than all of the D frames and J frames I have owned over the last 40 years.  I ditched the factory grips for some VZ boot grips and for me they are just right.  The K6xs has replaced the 642-1, Cobra, and Agent as the airweight revolver that goes out the front door with me because it is simply a better shooter than all of those.

My LCR has a good trigger and good ergonomics, but not better in terms of my shooting performance, so why sacrifice the 6th round for no gain, I won't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#25]
I'll just stick with my pre-lock S&W Model 342. It is stupidly light and being a .38 Special only gun, it isn't punishing on the hand either. It weighs in under 13 ounces. The Kimber weights in just under 16 ounces.

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By billbotts:
Kimber got it right.  They hired Grant Cunningham to come out of retirement and help them with their revolver designs.  This has a far better trigger than all of the D frames and J frames I have owned over the last 40 years.  I ditched the factory grips for some VZ boot grips and for me they are just right.  The K6xs has replaced the 642-1, Cobra, and Agent as the airweight revolver that goes out the front door with me because it is simply a better shooter than all of those.

My LCR has a good trigger and good ergonomics, but not better in terms of my shooting performance, so why sacrifice the 6th round for no gain, I won't.
View Quote

I get that Kimber gets a lot of 1911 hate but they really got their revolvers dialed in. K6 w/ 125gr .357 GS and K6XS w/ 125gr .38+P GS are incredibly shootable for me.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I had been looking at the Kimber K6xs off and on, but wanted to wait until I saw/handled one of the Lipsys S&W. I chose the Kimber. I never thought I'd like anything as well as my trusty 642, but the Kimber has taken its place. Excellent trigger, very shootable sights, good ergos, and 6th shot for mot a lot of extra size and weight.

I've got about 350ish rounds through mine and it has been excellent. Shoots to POA with 158gr ammo and 148gr wadcutters. I couldn't be happier. It's definitely a sleeper for sure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve read lots of complaints about the front sight being too tall so they shoot low.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll keep my S&W 642 UC
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
I’ve read lots of complaints about the front sight being too tall so they shoot low.
View Quote

Like any fixed sighted snubby, you have to find the ammo that works with your gun.  Regardless of manufacturer.  I’ve played this game with all my snubs from various makers.  In fact, I’ll be out tomorrow morning doing that with my SP101’s.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I wanted one of those, still kinda do. But Im hoping if I wait long enough, they will release a hammer version.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Probably true for a lot of ammo, I run Hornaday CD 110gr stuff and that shoots pretty close POA/POI at 15 yards.  When the NRA technical staff tested that round in real ballistic gel it did pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Probably true for a lot of ammo, I run Hornaday CD 110gr stuff and that shoots pretty close POA/POI at 15 yards.  When the NRA technical staff tested that round in real ballistic gel it did pretty well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What’s “pretty close”?

The complaints I was reading were all ammo shooting low to the point of having to file down the front sight
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I have both the stainless SA/DA model with a 2” barrel and the stainless DAO version with a 3” barrel.

Both have exceptionally smooth and light for the type DA triggers.  They are very accurate for the type and have been very reliable.

It’s an innovative design in that it offers 6 rounds in a package about the same size as a Ruger SP101, with a few extra ounces of weight that makes it more controllable and comfortable to shoot with .357 Mag loads.

It benefits from a larger rubber, recoil absorbing grip when shooting .357 Mag.

The looks are an acquired taste.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#35]

What’s “pretty close”?

The complaints I was reading were all ammo shooting low to the point of having to file down the front sight
View Quote

Heavier bullets will usually accomplish the same task.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:25:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#36]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
I have both the stainless SA/DA model with a 2” barrel and the stainless DAO version with a 3” barrel.

Both have exceptionally smooth and light for the type DA triggers.  They are very accurate for the type and have been very reliable.

It’s an innovative design in that it offers 6 rounds in a package about the same size as a Ruger SP101, with a few extra ounces of weight that makes it more controllable and comfortable to shoot with .357 Mag loads.

It benefits from a larger rubber, recoil absorbing grip when shooting .357 Mag.

The looks are an acquired taste.
View Quote

I got it in my head that I wanted a 2 1/2"-4" medium frame wheel gun to carry and went to a few shops yesterday to look around.  One of the options was a used 3" DASA.  And it was probably my favorite due to size and trigger.  But I didn't want to spend the $840 price tag OTD it would have cost me.  I ended-up spending that anyway though, as a came home with a used unfired Colt Night Cobra for $518 and an old PPD marked trade-in (I'm assuming Phoenix PD) Model 10-6 HB (Jim Cirillo special) for $350 OTD.

Attachment Attached File

I shot both this morning and was really impress with the Colt.  This is the first newer trigger design Colt I've owned.  The Colt was also the most forgiving in shooting POA/POI with the ammo I brought out (110, 125, 158).
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

That's one of the rounds I carry (if it shoots to POA in that particular gun).  And it's Gun Sams (You Tube guy that does Ballistic testing) number one choice for .38 spl. based on all his research and ballistic testing.  It also did really well in the late Paul Harrell's meat target testing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

What’s “pretty close”?

Usually.

In case I’m speaking unclearly. People who know revolvers were finding the Kimber shot low with every bullet weight. To the point owners resorted to filing the front sight. If Kimber has corrected that problem, great.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#39]

Usually.

In case I’m speaking unclearly. People who know revolvers were finding the Kimber shot low with every bullet weight. To the point owners resorted to filing the front sight. If Kimber has corrected that problem, great.
View Quote

It isn't an uncommon issue with revolvers for sights to need "adjusting".  Does the man'f suggest a bullet weight for regulation?  I handload so can typically get a gun to shoot where the sights say it should.

Some dudes just have a load they like and won't vary from it for sight regulation, so they have to "adjust" the sights.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#40]

I got it in my head that I wanted a 2 1/2"-4" medium frame wheel gun to carry and went to a few shops yesterday to look around.  One of the options was a used 3" DASA.  And it was probably my favorite due to size and trigger.  But I didn't want to spend the $840 price tag OTD it would have cost me.  I ended-up spending that anyway though, as a came home with a used unfired Colt Night Cobra for $518 and an old PPD marked trade-in (I'm assuming Phoenix PD) Model 10-6 HB (Jim Cirillo special) for $350 OTD.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19737/IMG_0977_jpg-3318409.JPG

I shot both this morning and was really impress with the Colt.  This is the first newer trigger design Colt I've owned.  The Colt was also the most forgiving in shooting POA/POI with the ammo I brought out (110, 125, 158).
View Quote

Sweet deal on the colt, I was watching a used one on Gun broker not long ago for considerably more money
(Not to diss the 10+6)
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 7:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#41]

Sweet deal on the colt, I was watching a used one on Gun broker not long ago for considerably more money
(Not to diss the 10+6)
View Quote

Thanks.

Pretty much why I bought it.  I wasn't really in the market, but for that price, I couldn't pass it up.  And that DLC finish seems easier to clean than blue or stainless.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19737/IMG_0977_jpg-3318409.JPG

View Quote
The Colt is a rebadged and slightly modernized SF-VI.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a-tale-of-revolver-decline-and-the-rebirth-of-the-prancing-pony/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:41:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#43]
The K6s SADA in 2" is my favorite carry option in a Harry's Icon 2.0

The trigger is smoother than my S&W 586 with custom work.

I really like this pistol a lot. Fantastic shooter. My kid shot mine and ran out to buy a 3" for himself the next day.

Both are pretty amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top