Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 6/2/2024 11:58:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer]
Aside from the obvious issue that the P7 is worth more than the combined total of everything on you - it's not a bad carry gun.

Yes, there are smaller, but not smaller 4" BBL 9mm.  That was kind of in the design criteria.

The P7 is about the absolute safest gun on the planet that you can load and toss in your pocket. Since it's completely decocked while carried, and unable to fire.  Until you squeeze it.  It will draw out of a loose pocket quite smoothly, and get up on target nice with a nice very good trigger, once you squeeze the gun.

The biggest issue is the weight. But it's not THAT absurd.  Pocket carry one depends on the pocket.  In Blue Jeans it won't work so well.  Cargo pants are much better.  5.11 work pretty good.  Thin cargo pants less so, as it'll flop around - and then the weight starts to suck.  

Obviously, it's a P7 - I'm not doing that for a 6 hr stretch in a sweat including setting.  But for a quick store run while wearing rip-stop gage cargo shorts - it's actually kind of great.

Aside from that, the other risk factor is a stress induced fire from sympathetic trigger finger squeeze while squeeze cocking.  All I can say there is know your gun.  If you have a P7 you might consider carrying, you probably have at least 1000 rounds through it too, since nobody is going to pocket carry a P7 safe-queen.

Now that titanium and aluminum framed units are being made again, with modern finish and red-dot slides are coming out. I suspect this will come up more!
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#1]
I'm not a big fan of packet carry especially with a loaded P7M8 weighing over 2 pounds.  I found a MS Versa Max years ago, as an IWB, it's hard to beat being as thin as it is.  The only issue is for a extended carry the need for a dual magazine holder and the cost of H&K P7 magazines.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice pistol, but better CCW options now exist (double stack w RMR) .

18Z50
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:

18Z50
View Quote

You can get a new production P7 with RMR now.  

Fpr personal defense, double stack is vastly overvalued.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Aside from the obvious issue that the P7 is worth more than the combined total of everything on you - it's not a bad carry gun.

Yes, there are smaller, but not smaller 4" BBL 9mm.  That was kind of in the design criteria.

The P7 is about the absolute safest gun on the planet that you can load and toss in your pocket. Since it's completely decocked while carried, and unable to fire.  Until you squeeze it.  It will draw out of a loose pocket quite smoothly, and get up on target nice with a nice very good trigger, once you squeeze the gun.

The biggest issue is the weight. But it's not THAT absurd.  Pocket carry one depends on the pocket.  In Blue Jeans it won't work so well.  Cargo pants are much better.  5.11 work pretty good.  Thin cargo pants less so, as it'll flop around - and then the weight starts to suck.  

Obviously, it's a P7 - I'm not doing that for a 6 hr stretch in a sweat including setting.  But for a quick store run while wearing rip-stop gage cargo shorts - it's actually kind of great.

Aside from that, the other risk factor is a stress induced fire from sympathetic trigger finger squeeze while squeeze cocking.  All I can say there is know your gun.  If you have a P7 you might consider carrying, you probably have at least 1000 rounds through it too, since nobody is going to pocket carry a P7 safe-queen.

Now that titanium and aluminum framed units are being made again, with modern finish and red-dot slides are coming out. I suspect this will come up more!
View Quote

Love me some P7 but 1980 was almost half a century ago.

The biggest issue the gas piston heats up the gun above the trigger guard after 3-4 mags to the point it’s unusable.

A carry gun you can’t train with is not viable.

They are out of production and parts /competent armorer services are not common. A gun which actual gets shot will need at least preventive maintenance/ springs.

The P7 operating system is good but unique enough that if carrying for serious use you should be primarily shooting that system. Hard to do with $3k out of production guns.

Carry gun implies a gun that will be used in a defensive shooting. Having had guns go into evidence after OIS do you want your $3k P7 rusting in an evidence room for 2-3 years ?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 18B30] [#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

18Z50

We must agree to disagree on the value of having many, many bullets during a life/death event……..18Z50..winner of a gunfight long ago in a country far away.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#6]
View All Quotes

Apparently I'm living under a rock.

As for the "modern finish", P7s were gas or plasma nitrided.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:31:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#7]

We must agree to disagree on the value of having many, many bullets during a life/death event……..18Z50..winner of a gunfight long ago in a country far away.

View All Quotes

18Z50

Depends on setting.  Your mission statement was combat.   Round count matters bigly in combat

My own CHL mission statement is personal defense in a civilian setting. Indivual round count rarely matters. But being slim to carry, does.  Same reason zi don't fuck with RDS.  Is it small, safe, handy, and fits in my pocket - sure, I'll grab it.  Is it fat, complex, with bulky glass shit sticking up that might work (my last "here use my red dot" hand-to-me didn't work. It was broke)  and a fat grip?  That gun stays home.

I'm going into Bagdad, is a very different conversation than going to Heim BBQ at noon surrounded by middle aged dudes with about a 40% carry rate.

I'm not here to ( nor WANT to!) change your mind.

You?  You I want carrying a 5" combat pistol with RDS and 90 rounds.  That's what I want you carrying ;)  so... thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Apparently I'm living under a rock.

As for the "modern finish", P7s were gas or plasma nitrided.
View Quote

Huh.  I would have expected better rust resistance.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#9]

Depends on setting.  Your mission statement was combat.   Round count matters bigly in combat

My own CHL mission statement is personal defense in a civilian setting. Indivual round count rarely matters. But being slim to carry, does.  Same reason zi don't fuck with RDS.  Is it small, safe, handy, and fits in my pocket - sure, I'll grab it.  Is it fat, complex, with bulky glass shit sticking up that might work (my last "here use my red dot" hand-to-me didn't work. It was broke)  and a fat grip?  That gun stays home.

I'm going into Bagdad, is a very different conversation than going to Heim BBQ at noon surrounded by middle aged dudes with about a 40% carry rate.

You?  You I want carrying a 5" combat pistol with RDS and 90 rounds.  That's what I want you carrying ;)  so... thanks!
View All Quotes

18Z50

I know that came across smart-ass, but on a personal note - kinda true : I've seen you around enough I'd totally want you there too if there were an incident!

But back to the thread: P7's are cool ;)  and do still work.   I very probably will get one of the new aluminum framed and nitride-slide ones at some point, and give it a go.  Personally, I'll probably skip the RDS.   I might get the rail for a light.. might not.  I like a smoother frame, so haven't committed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]
This pistol is being produced again?
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:
View Quote

Yes.  

P7Pro.  Titanium, steel, or aluminum.  RDS and rail options.   Modern finish.

I'm hoping to get chance to handle and fire one in a couple months.  There are youtubes starting to show up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Yes.  

I'm hoping to get chance to handle and fire one in a couple months.  There are youtubes starting to show up.
View All Quotes

Yes.  

My google-fu is weak as fuck.  Is HK making these,  or some other company?
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:49:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#13]
Would be nice if they tooled up for the P7 M13 and found a company to produce new magazines for it.

View Quote

It's some other company, not HK. https://p7pro.com/
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:
Would be nice if they tooled up for the P7 M13 and found a company to produce new magazines for it.

View All Quotes

Thanks.

Damn, that's spendy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The M8 and even the M13 were great carry guns, but quite heavy in the grip. Due to their rising value, and the release of the p365, they were retired from rotation.

The milt sparks versa max is a great holster. The TT Gunleather IWB is very derivative, and an excellent choice as well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#16]
For the price they want, you might get the real thing. I can't believe how much these things are going for now. I wish I kept my Chantilly P7M8.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Thanks.

Damn, that's spendy.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

Damn, that's spendy.

It is - but this is the same forum that a 9mm 1911 Stucatto for $2500 is a non-item no big deal at all.  and a $1200 ACOG scope is perfectly reasonable.  And everyone should have a spectrum of $1000 +($200 stamp) supressor's or is a rude self centered luddit jerk.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Pricey but damn!

I guess need to get one before they disappear again.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AR18:
Pricey but damn!

I guess need to get one before they disappear again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I would like to use my P7M8 along with my SP5 for two gun competitions at my local range.

I need a good OWB holster...The problem is the gun finish is perfect.

The gun is mostly a Range Queen now.  Not sure if that is good or bad.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By STJ:
I would like to use my P7M8 along with my SP5 for two gun competitions at my local range.

I need a good OWB holster...The problem is the gun finish is perfect.

The gun is mostly a Range Queen now.  Not sure if that is good or bad.
View Quote

I wouldn't.  I'd use an ugly beater.  Or one of the new ones
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#22]
The P7 makes for a fine carry gun. Accurate and reliable, which is most of what you need in a carry gun.

Mine gets hot after a box of ammo or so, more so in the summer, such that I cover it up with a towel while fooling with targets to keep it out of the sun.  But you can shoot more than enough to practice with it.  Once you're fired a certain number of rounds in your life, you can pick up and practice just a bit with a gun to be fine with it.  Not ever gun you buy when you're in your 40's has to have 1000 rounds fired through it to be able to use it - hopefully some of the previous work you're put in transfers over.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Yes.  

View Quote

Not listed on their website that I could find? I regret not getting one when all the surplus ones were being imported.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

That's neat. Not $2600 neat
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had five P7s of different flavors/sizes over the years, love them, but... not the greatest CCW carry gun IMHO. Duty holster? Fine.
Butt-heavy, so they flop over in the belt even with a stiff belt and good holster. Heats up under the trigger guard, so training is a low-round count thing.
Heavy in general, low capacity for the size.

These were wonderfully accurate guns, neat all around, but history fun pieces now compared to many new, better solutions.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:20:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#26]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1055981047
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:21:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#27]
Double.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Mitch Rosen offers his ARG holster for the P7M8. This, in a 1.25" slot width, has always stayed flat against my hip with no flopping around.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#29]
When I reported to a job in Northern Virginia they had already scheduled me for a week-long pistol refresher.  I elected to use my Government Model but one of the other fellas (some other agency, don't know who -- maybe US Park Police or Utah Highway Patrol) shot a P7M13 all week.

That thing shot crazy fast and accurate -- like a slow MP5 or a fast PCC.

Almost 35 years ago one of the USSOCOM commanding general's aides carried a P7, and a retired Utah Highway Patrol work colleague had a pair and a stack of spare parts from when they retired their HKs and converted to something else.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
When I reported to a job in Northern Virginia they had already scheduled me for a week-long pistol refresher.  I elected to use my Government Model but one of the other fellas (some other agency, don't know who -- maybe US Park Police or Utah Highway Patrol) shot a P7M13 all week.

That thing shot crazy fast and accurate -- like a slow MP5 or a fast PCC.

Almost 35 years ago one of the USSOCOM commanding general's aides carried a P7, and a retired Utah Highway Patrol work colleague had a pair and a stack of spare parts from when they retired their HKs and converted to something else.
View Quote

Interesting.  I never really was a big fan of the M13.  It's a bulky high-round count gun that can't actually deliver sustained high-round count due to the heat building up after the 2nd magazine.  The P7 is a gun-fighters gun, not a combat gun.  The M13 tried to make it into a Combat gun, and just resulted in a bulky uncomfortable gun-fighters gun.  Relevance being a modern gun-fight is typically under 5 rounds.  It just takes time to send rounds.  Sending 13 rounds is a long gun-fight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I tried carrying mine, gave up and went to a glock.  Too different for the amount of training I needed.

Great guns, i made a mint when I sold them and miss them only a little.

Much better carry options exist.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top