Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2024 12:20:28 PM EDT
I know that Ruger doesn’t currently make this model, but at one point didn’t they make a 5.5” barrel, .41 magnum, most likely a Bisley?  And make that blued as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Model #0471. There may have been others over time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Model number 0471 was in stainless steel. I don't remember a blued Bisley in 41 Magnum with a 5.5 inch barrel; I think all the blued Bisley's in 41 Magnum had 7.5 inch barrels. The standard grip frame blued 41 Magnum models came with 4 5/8, 5.5 and 7.5 inch barrels. There were some 44 Specials in the newer, smaller 357 frame that were blued Bisley's with 5.5 inch barrels.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 2:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paradude54] [#4]
It doesn’t need to be a Bisley, I’m changing the grip and grip frame anyway, I just like the engraved cylinder on them. But it does need to 5.5”, to me that’s the perfect balance point with the right appearance. I suppose that I could always cut and recrown the barrel but right now I have so many projects that I’m just shooting for finishing them all before I drop dead from old age.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember the Bisley has a lower hammer.  The lower hammer and the plow handle (whichever version you choose, all of them will fit and there are some aftermarkets as well) don't necessarily play well together the larger your hands are.  I bought a Bisley hammer for my Blackhawk and installed it but even with my large/sometimes XL hands depending on the gloves the hammer is just barely above the web of my hand and if I'm wearing gloves, such as during hunting season when it gets colder and I'm wearing wool gloves, the hammer sometimes catches on the gloves when I pull the trigger so I went back to the factory hammer.  Just something to keep in mind, others may not have this problem.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Paradude54:
It doesn’t need to be a Bisley, I’m changing the grip and grip frame anyway, I just like the engraved cylinder on them. But it does need to 5.5”, to me that’s the perfect balance point with the right appearance. I suppose that I could always cut and recrown the barrel but right now I have so many projects that I’m just shooting for finishing them all before I drop dead from old age.
View Quote

Do you already have a grip frame? If not, and seeming as you don't have time to work on a project, I would treat yourself to the best of the best. A Freedom Arms model 97 can be had in 5 1/2" 41 magnum.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

Do you already have a grip frame? If not, and seeming as you don't have time to work on a project, I would treat yourself to the best of the best. A Freedom Arms model 97 can be had in 5 1/2" 41 magnum.
View Quote

I do love Freedom Arms, but I already have a Colt grip frame and Bisley hammer, I just need a gun to go along with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

View Quote

I wouldn't buy one since I'm not set up for reloading but man I'd love to try a Freedom Arms in .41.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 5:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#9]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

I wouldn't buy one since I'm not set up for reloading but man I'd love to try a Freedom Arms in .41.
View Quote

41 magnum is one of those rounds that is much more popular than it is perceived to be. Sure some little bait/hunting store with nothing but a single rack of ammo might not carry it, but 41 magnum ammo is not hard to find. There's actually a surprising variety of it if you buy online. It's the same price as 44 mag.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a .45 Blackhawk so no need for a .41, I just like them, same as .44. I do, or did for a while anyways, reload with a simple Lee Loader.  Those older straight wall cartridges are easy to reload even with the slower hand loader.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
It’s like Poke Man, gotta get ‘em all.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a .45 Blackhawk so no need for a .41, I just like them, same as .44. I do, or did for a while anyways, reload with a simple Lee Loader.  Those older straight wall cartridges are easy to reload even with the slower hand loader.
View Quote

I would love to have a simple setup for 45-70 and 480Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I got my Lee Loader off ebay for next to nothing, but that was years ago.  If it was used before I got it I couldn't tell.  As much as I'd love to have a full Dillon setup, I sadly don't have room nor do I shoot enough anymore to justify the expense.  I used to reload .45 sitting on my porch and I've even done it at the range when I was messing around with different loads.  Definitely not high tech or fast, but you can crank out 50rnds in a pretty short period with a little practice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]

I got my Lee Loader off ebay for next to nothing, but that was years ago.  If it was used before I got it I couldn't tell.  As much as I'd love to have a full Dillon setup, I sadly don't have room nor do I shoot enough anymore to justify the expense.  I used to reload .45 sitting on my porch and I've even done it at the range when I was messing around with different loads.  Definitely not high tech or fast, but you can crank out 50rnds in a pretty short period with a little practice.
View Quote

Thing is, I don't have the space. My garage is full of tools, my car, 2 motorcycles and junk I need to get rid of.

How m7ch are components going for? I figure if I buy that, it'll get me motivated to buy a simple loader.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Thing is, I don't have the space. My garage is full of tools, my car, 2 motorcycles and junk I need to get rid of.

How m7ch are components going for? I figure if I buy that, it'll get me motivated to buy a simple loader.
View Quote

For reloading it definitely pays off quickly! I use a simple RCBS single stage and powder measure. Mine is bolted to a 2 foot square of plywood that takes up very little space stored in the garage.. when I need to reload, I bolt it to my home office desk then remove and store when finished.
Used single stage presses can be found for easily under 50 bucks, and my Dillion digital scale was under 100. I was lucky a friend went to a progressive Dillion and I got my powder measure and press for free.

A typical box of lowly 38 special runs around $25 today. Even with the increased cost of powder and primers I can still load about 150 rounds for the cost of one box of factory, and in the bigger or less common calibers the savings is even greater. For example 45 colt, which is hovering around $50 a box, I can load 300 rounds for cost of a single box of factory
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I cut my teeth reloading on the .41 Mag.  Used to reload on a Lee Classic Reloader in the barracks or rucksack while in West Germany.  I sold my Blackhawk .41 Mag 6.5" but just got a great deal on same gun but .44 Mag.  Last .44 Mag I had (Model 29-2 6.5" w/presentation case) I gifted to my oldest son.  I'm still a .41 nut and cast bullet loader.  I only pay for powder and primers.

Some of my .41s.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 6:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Somerled] [#17]
A Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in any caliber is sweet. The recoil is far more manageable and is faster back on target than the standard Blackhawk for me. I tend to like the 4 5/8" as for balance goes.The .41 would have a little more heft back in the hand,which I like, than the .45 Colt. I had an old model 5 1/2" Blackhawk in .41 Mag with very-worn finish. I should have gotten that taken care of and kept the critter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top