Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2024 11:48:12 AM EDT

Old guy here and all this photo bucket stuff sorta overwhelms me. I do have pics that I can email.

Ruger Police Service Six, blue, 2 3/4" BBL, .357 mag.  

I picked this up awhile ago from a friend. It was carried for years by a deputy and looks it ( 75 % cosmetic condition ? ) but my opinion based on usual tells that it hasn't been fired thousands of times. The bore, chambers, forcing cone, top strap are all very good as is the timing & lockup and it passed my multi step used revolver checklist. I did get to fire it a few cylinders years ago when she got it and it worked as it should. It was never fired again after that initial test outing, was cleaned, oiled and locked in a humidity controlled safe.

I'm going to try to sell it locally here in the Omaha, NE metro and will appreciate & thank you in advance for your estimates on a price that's fair to a buyer and yet current to the seller. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#1]
Originally Posted By Geo1957:

Old guy here and all this photo bucket stuff sorta overwhelms me. I do have pics that I can email.

I picked this up awhile ago from a friend. It was carried for years by a deputy and looks it ( 75 % cosmetic condition ? ) but my opinion based on usual tells that it hasn't been fired thousands of times. The bore, chambers, forcing cone, top strap are all very good as is the timing & lockup and it passed my multi step used revolver checklist. I did get to fire it a few cylinders years ago when she got it and it worked as it should. It was never fired again after that initial test outing, was cleaned, oiled and locked in a humidity controlled safe.

I'm going to try to sell it locally here in the Omaha, NE metro and will appreciate & thank you in advance for your estimates on a price that's fair to a buyer and yet current to the seller. Thanks.
View Quote

I’d say $600 from your description. Love mine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a blued 38 in the EE for $400 that has had no interest.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Paid $500 for mine but that was 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
150 series or later?  The 150 series is a pain to find grips for.

A 2 3/4 Service Six is somewhat uncommon.  Most in that barrel length were Speed Sixes.  Only difference is a slight change in grip profile but the market tends to value the Speed Six higher.  

Value in the condition you describe, in my book, is $400 to $500.  $400 should sell reasonably quick, $500 will sit a while.  Historically Rugers of that era don't do well on the used market. The blueing is a weak point, it tends to wear worse than Smith or Colt. Being 357 will help a bit, a lot of the Service Sixes were in 38 Special.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 4:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
150 series or later?  The 150 series is a pain to find grips for.

A 2 3/4 Service Six is somewhat uncommon.  Most in that barrel length were Speed Sixes.  Only difference is a slight change in grip profile but the market tends to value the Speed Six higher.  

Value in the condition you describe, in my book, is $400 to $500.  $400 should sell reasonably quick, $500 will sit a while.  Historically Rugers of that era don't do well on the used market. The blueing is a weak point, it tends to wear worse than Smith or Colt. Being 357 will help a bit, a lot of the Service Sixes were in 38 Special.
View Quote

That’s why I was thinking $600. OP can always lower the price if it doesn’t move. His gun (like mine) is stamped “Police Service Six.”

Those models were specifically marketed to L.E. My gun is a late 158-series model in .357. It wears an original and hard-to-find Tyler T-grip.  In fact mine belonged to a long-since-retired city police Lt. and was his off-duty gun.

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is a later series and IIRC was made in 1979.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 1:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#7]
I would agree with $400 to $450 if there is blueing wear like you said and I would probably closer to the $400 number. It may not have been shot often but there are other options to be had in that price range like a GP100, S&W model 10 or 66, etc., as I have bought a couple of those at that price recently at my local ffl dealer. While they are neat guns, parts are not easy to come by for some of the older guns which could make it obsolete if anything breaks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one in stainless with (I think) a 3" barrel.  It's a really, really nice size and weight for a 357 revolver.

Absolutely on par with all of my pre lock S&W K frames.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
Originally Posted By Geo1957:

IMO I'd think that is too high, although it's a good gun that will offer great service.

$600 is in pre-lock S&W range around here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top