Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2024 2:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Philmore]
Never had to send a gun in for any service.  
New in box Wrangler appeared to have a lot of daylight btw the cylinder face and barrel forcing cone.  

I ran up to .011 feeler gauge thru the barrel/ cylinder gap.  Doesn’t appear to have much end shake at all.  

That seems wide enough to me to send it back.  Am I thinking correctly on that gap?

Edited for update.  

From Ruger:
“We have examined the above-referenced firearm and have concluded that the firearm is beyond repair. We understand and recognize the frustration created by this type of incident, therefor we are offering to replace the firearm with a new firearm model 2042 at no charge.

The replacement firearm will bear a new serial number and must be shipped to a dealer of your choice to ensure compliance with the laws of the transfer of a firearm.

Accepting the replacement firearm will result in Ruger retaining the damaged firearm, to ensure it is disposed of properly. We will amend our records to reflect disposition of the new firearm to you in conformance with the Gun Control Act of 1968. If you decide to decline the offer, Please be advised that, in its current condition we consider the damaged firearm to be unsafe and strongly recommend against any attempt to use it.

Please note by signing this letter you are also confirming you’re above the age of 18 to purchase a rifle or above the age 21 for revolver or pistol and a legal us citizen.  As well as you are the legal owner of this firearm.

Please indicate your acceptance or decline of this offer by signing the line in the proper space and returning the signed copy to myself via email or fax.”

Hopefully its replacement will be better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot it yet? Please do. Unless you're getting spitting (the shaving of lead) coming out and hitting you, then I wouldn't worry.

I have a Super Wrangler and the air gap appears (by eye) to be around .008-.010, so measuring .011 on your's doesn't seem out of line to send in. Some people measure tight, some snug and some too loose, then think there's a problem. All measurements should be lightly snug, which means that .011 thousandths isn't off by enough to worry about.

The Wrangler's being a rimfire, the air gap is larger than on centerfires, due to having a forcing cone to help align the revolving cylinder to barrel since the ammo primer is off to the edge and not direct center of ammo primer as in a centerfire. It's a revolver version of a bullet ramp due to having 2 kinds of play. A end to end play by the machining tolerance of cylinder to forcing cone and will always be there from recoil to push cylinder back and side to side play of the cylinder's center drill hole to cylinder holding pin.

What you can do is first take your feeler gauge and place at the forcing cone, then slowly turn the cylinder to see if there's any binding when you turn cylinder. If so, there's a possibility of a machining error of the cylinder and THEN you need to return to have Ruger replace the bad cylinder or a bent cylinder holding pin, which in a rimfire is doubtful in a Wrangler because the cylinder doesn't swing outwards with a release like a S&W Diamondback does.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:28:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#2]
I'm pretty sure spec for both Ruger and S&W is .010" if not .012" max, so you are still basically in spec. For what that gun is, I would not worry about it at all.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my favorite revolvers and one of the best shooting ones has a gap about .009".
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to send back a brand new Ruger Mark IV. I diagnosed it as an over clocked barrel. I contacted Ruger customer service and explained the symptoms. They sent a return label in an hour. Sent it back and they contacted me in a few days saying the pistol was un repairable and sent me a new gun. Whole process took three weeks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Almost certainly within spec.  Unlikely Ruger will do anything.  Smith says .012 is spec anymore, Ruger is probably the same.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Almost certainly within spec.  Unlikely Ruger will do anything.  Smith says .012 is spec anymore, Ruger is probably the same.
View Quote

Is that for all revolvers or just for their rimfires?

Off the top of my head max factory was 0.006”, optimal was 0.004” for Smith at one time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#6]
OP, if it does go back it shouldn’t take long.

I had my brand new SP101 4.2” .327 go back for at first a crooked front sight (rotated in the dovetail) but while I was waiting for the mailed shippe label I found that the lead in the barrel was actually streaks of pitting, also there was a gap between the barrel shroud and the face of the revolver frame where the barrel was not bottoming out to time correctly.

Two weeks there and back to me and a new barrel.   So far so good.   Going to shoot it more today!
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I did find it odd on their service phone line......the decision tree had an extension just for wranglers.   Rifles, semiautomatic pistol, revolvers but not wranglers and then press 5 for wranglers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Off the top of my head max factory was 0.006”, optimal was 0.004” for Smith at one time.
View Quote

That was a long time ago.  Been .012 for quite some time.  Not all have that much of a gap, but it is the current spec with Smith.  It's not something Smith or the others broadcast.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I did find it odd on their service phone line......the decision tree had an extension just for wranglers.   Rifles, semiautomatic pistol, revolvers but not wranglers and then press 5 for wranglers.
View Quote

Probably their biggest seller.  At the price point it's bound to have a higher warranty rate.  And possibly unrealistic expectations.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Had to send my back. The cylinder was dragging on the face wall. They fixed it no problem.  They are 200 dollar guns. Just a step above a heritage. I didn't expect alot.

It's been great since. Super accurate with cci mini mags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#11]

View Quote

That's all revolvers. Ruger and S&W would go out of business if all their BC gaps had to be held to .003" to .006". That's more on the Freedom Arm's level, but they go more for .001" to .003" level. I doubt a double action maker would ever want less than .003" gap just because of expansion from rapid fire and the resulting heat, which isn't a problem in a single action (for most mortals).

That's just one of the things a $2900 FA 83 verses an $800 Ruger Blackhawk gets you. You are never going to get that level of precision on a $200 Wrangler.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Philmore:
Never had to send a gun in for any service.  
New in box Wrangler appeared to have a lot of daylight btw the cylinder face and barrel forcing cone.  

I ran up to .011 feeler gauge thru the barrel/ cylinder gap.  Doesn’t appear to have much end shake at all.  

That seems wide enough to me to send it back.  Am I thinking correctly on that gap?
View Quote

This is considered "within spec", but it is getting towards the upper end of the acceptable range.

Shoot it and see how it performs. I doubt you'll notice any issues with it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Wranglers have so many issues there’s a separate extension when you call customer service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top