Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2024 12:55:46 AM EDT
Just recently bought a SP101 in .22 LR, I like the look of the stock rubber grip with the inserts, but they are smaller than I would like. Are there any that are big enough for a 3 finger hold, yet still have the grip inserts, or is it an either or case and I can either get a larger rubber grip, or a larger wooden grip?
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Houge
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 1:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ecgRN:
Houge
View Quote

NO, H-o-g-u-e

They feel great in my hand but I have short sausage fingers.  If you have giant ham fists well they may not do it for you but likely will be better than the 3/4 scale OEM grips.  My gun is a 4.2” barrel, no reason to have the mini snub gun grips for concealment.  

Sadly my brand new 101 is going back,.....crooked front sight and pits in a brand new barrel.

Edit, they do give more length to help the dangling pinky finger.   My pinky finger was half off the OEM grip.  I did not put them on my gun as my new gun has to go back for some problems.

Pinky finger has a home on the Hogues.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 7:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#3]
Hogue makes the smallest SP101 grip there is, but it's still surprisingly usable for what it is. It's way better than the garbage that comes on the SP101.

I don't have a good recommendation for you, as I searched for years to find a solution. I've owned pretty much every SP101 grip you can get, and not one of them was very big. Technically the biggest, most hand filling grip out there is the Lyman Pachmayer, and I like them on other handguns, but the angle on the SP101 is so bizarre. It's like you have to break your wrist all the way down to a nearly uncomfortable level. I think Ruger is missing by a mile on what the SP101 could be a a light field gun, and in 357 magnum or 327 federal with 4" barrel it can be a fine hunting handgun on it's own, but without the grip, it's just not that great. All of the grips out there are orientated for concealed carry and are quite small. There is no full sized field grip out there for an sp101. Most of them are awkward. The Hogue is both one of the smallest, and one of my favorites.

I even called some custom grip makers. Harretts would not do it when I checked, but they are my go-to, they are great. One guy I called basically laughed at me saying it's a tiny gun, it needs a tiny grip. Yet the LCR, a smaller and much lighter revolver comes with a bigger grip, and aftermarket has bigger grips than anything you can get for an sp101. The Hogue tamer for the LCR is a great grip, its really, really stupid they don't make that exact same thing for the sp101.

Unfortunately what I did was sell my SP101's. I had two with a 3" barrel, and one with the 4". One was even a custom 3" with fully adjustable sights, but without a good grip they will never be that fun. The LCRx is better than the SP101 for shorter barrels, and if you want the longer barrel, the GP100 is all around a better handgun, with the exception of being bigger and heavier of course. Another option is the single six, which if you are ok with a single action, they are great shooters.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I put the hougueueue on my wife's SP101.  It fits her hand and mine, which is a L or XL depending on which glove I wear.
Here it is with some of the other 357s.

Link Posted: 8/5/2024 10:16:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#5]
I did think of one other grip I have that is even smaller than the Hogue. I remember I bought it on ebay, some guy in either China or Thailand hand makes them. They look big in the pictures, but they are comically tiny, like for a 6 year old kid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 8:56:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#7]
fg you’re right on a lot of 101 issues.

When you look at the 4.2” SP101 out of the box it looks like they 3/4 scaled the entire gun down like that Browning .22 1911.  

I could use the grips as is but they are undersized and it is a shame and wasteful.  I get short grips on snubs but I would think a bigger grip would make more sense on the longer barrels.  All they needed was the exact same grip but add 3/4” of length.  My 4.2” is a range and field play gun that will see a diet of .32 S&W longs and .32 H&Rs.  

All I want is a good grip and a field trail holster.   Good luck finding holsters for the longer barrels in leather off the rack.  I have a cheap Triple K holster that iirc came with a Python or a 686.  I never used it for whatever gun it came with.  It fits the SP101 very good including the thumbsnap over the hammer,  Good enough for yard work or woods bumming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top