Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2024 6:24:30 PM EDT
Fixing to get a S&W 638 off layaway, idk why but this little gun just speaks to me. I’ve owned several 442/642/640 variants, but never a 638. Local shop had one used with box for what I considered a solid price ($400) so I put it on layaway.

Fixing to pick it up and seriously considering doing the lock delete cause I hate the safety aspect. Anyone else done this?

Also, what’s a good recommendation for some grips? I picked up a set of Herret grips and a BK grip adapter but don’t know if they’ll work for my intended goal of having a smaller conceal carry piece for ankle carry/pocket carry
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The 638 is a solid choice. My favorite revolver grips are Lyman Diamond rubber grips.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used a few of these to remove the lock:
https://www.originalprecision.com/slug-install.html

Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used a few of these to remove the lock:
https://www.originalprecision.com/slug-install.html

View Quote

@duneshoot

How hard was it?
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done a few of them and it's not hard. Find some good video's and use the correct sized screwdriver to remove the side plate screws.
Jerry Miculek has a good video of how to take the gun apart but not the safety. While you're in there mite as well replace the main and trigger springs. Wolf or Wilson are $20'ish for a set.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I've simply ground down the tiny nub on the safety-flag itself, then put it back in. FYI, the nub that sticks out into the slot in the hammer. Just be certain what part is what, it really is pretty simple surgery... This functionally removes the safety, yet doesn't cost me anything.
-Or leave a little gap next to the hammer when you replace the flag thing with a plug...

The 2 I've done the nub-surgery method on are a Model 637 and Model 60

Of course my 2 686s I bought the delete kits for...

No matter what, I support your decision to remove or castrate your lock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top