Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2024 8:30:50 PM EDT
So ever since I got my MkI, I was curious how it compared to my MkXIX.

Backstory:
I started out with a MkVII 44 mag 20 or so years ago. Loved it, but always wanted a 50. I ended up selling it and buying a 50AE probably 10 or so years ago.
I then got a 44 barrel for it.
Then I got a 357 barrel and bolt.
I then got tired of taking apart the slide to swap the bolts when I wanted to shoot 357. SO, I bought a 2nd DE. I keep it dedicated to 357.
I added the 10in barrels in all 3 calibers.

Then I started getting a desire for the old 14 inch barrels.
Well, you know where this is going.
I ended up finding a MkI that came with complete barrel and slide in 44 and 357. Since the barrels were different sizes back then, you had to swap the slide and the barrel when changing calibers.

I have had the MkI for a couple months now, but have not had a chance to shoot it yet.
I got wondering, how the different models compared to each other. If the recoil was any different, since the MkI was lighter and smaller.
Well, I drug them all out today and decided to give it a go.

Years ago, never would I have thought I would have 3 desert eagles.
When I was younger, I never thought I would have one period, it was always just a dream of mine (that finally came true).
I also do not even want to think about how much money is setting in this picture, and it does not even include the 10in barrels.

I started out putting the 44 barrel on the 50.
I then shot the MkI right after.
What I noticed: The MkXIX has a slightly more and sharper recoil and less muzzle flip, compared to the MkI having a lighter and smoother recoil impulse, but more muzzle flip.
Kinda strange and had to describe. But the MkI just felt smoother and less snappy, but the muzzle would flip up more, while the MkXIX would kick a little more and sharper, but less muzzle flip.
Both shot the same ammo from the same box. A handload of mine that is just a plinking load of a 200 gr bullet and 25gr of H110.
The MkXIX would throw the brass about 2 feet to the right and 1-2 feet behind me.
The MkI, would throw the brass about 15 feet behind me, and about 2-3 feet to the right.

Accuracy was not hugely different, but the MkXIX seemed to be a little better.
MkXIX on the left, MkI on the right.
Group sizes are my poor skills, shooting standing unsupported. Distance was 18 yards.

I swapped on the 357 slide and barrel onto the MkI and then did the same side by side comparison between the the MkI and MkXIX.
Load was a 158gr bullet with 16.2gr of W296.
It pretty much mimicked the 44 mag. The MkI had a smoother and softer recoil, but more muzzle flip, while the MkXIX had slightly sharper/snappier recoil, but less muzzle flip.
The 357 MkI slide has a adjustable sight, it shot noticeably lower than the MkXIX, so I need to adjust it.
Accuracy was not hugely different, but there was a slight edge to the MkXIX.
Same standing unsupported at 18 yards with my poor skills.
Brass ejection mimicked the 44 almost exactly.

MxXIX on the left, MkI on the right

So there is a small but noticeable difference, but nothing huge. Still really fun.

I will say the single stage trigger the MkI came with SUCKED. Long creepy and just plain bad. I ended up finding a good used Mk VII/XIX two stage trigger unit on ebay for a decent price and swapped that in. It is so much better. I did that before I even fired the gun, the old trigger was that bad.
I will also say, the MkI slide release is about useless. Small and smooth. You pretty much just have to slingshot the slide.
The MkVII/XIX slide release is so much better. I will be looking into finding one of those too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
good post.  interesting observations.  nice that you have the various generations to compare.  You should try one of the Integral Muzzle Brake (IMB) barrels, I really like mine on the 44, having both the IMB and std 44 barrels.

thanks for posting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#3]
While I'm sure the comps do some good, I personally do not care for the looks of them on the DE. I think it ruins the aesthetics of them.
The (for lack of a better term) gen 1 brake/comp that bolts to the front of the barrel with 3 screws is not too bad, but I can not bring myself to have any of my barrels drilled for them.
But the current style that is integral to the barrel I think looks crappy. Plus you lose that much barrel length.
But that is just my opinion.  

However I'm sure they do help with muzzle rise a good bit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I was too distracted by my 14in barrels and seeing how the MkI compared to the MkXIX, I completely forgot to grab my chronograph. I have the new little garmin and love it.
Would have been cool to see the velocity difference between the 6in and 14in barrels.
When I reload the brass I will have to give it a go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top