Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2022 8:26:51 AM EDT
Found myself researching both the staccato C2 and the springfield prodigy.

I'm not one to customize my guns, nor do I really shoot them much more than the average joe.

So for out of the box usage, no accessories, just the way the come, which one is the go to pick, and why?

I do appreciate the 5-700 dollar price difference the prodigy affords, but that's not the an issue if the C2 is wholly a better piece.

I love the commander size frame and I've never owners a 9mm 1911.  Thinking a one and done type purchase that I intend on shooting exactly as it comes from the factory.

Also, bonus points, which one will appreciate more in the future??

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The prodigy has had a ton of issues so far. The staccato is good to go out of the box.  If I was buying one, I’d spend the extra money rather than be a beta tester for Springfield.

(Should also add, I’ve had 2 staccato P and a C…haven’t had a prodigy….there have been  threads here detailing the issues many have experienced)
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to shoot with Staccato staff and got to check out the new CS- be sure to give that a look as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to shoot with Staccato staff and got to check out the new CS- be sure to give that a look as well.
View Quote

What did you think of the cs?
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a P (2019) and a C2.  I just ordered a Prodigy 4.25 last week.

I'm looking at ordering a C2 DUO next.  I could just find someone to mill the C2 but I'd rather just get another gun and have a spare.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If price isn’t a big factor and out of the box performance is, then the Staccato is the way to go. If you’re willing to tinker if needed and price is a factor then the Prodigy is less expensive but appears more likely to have issues (though most seem easily solved).
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I would go Stuccato, and maybe 6-12 months from now you have trouble free prodigys on the shelf
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What did you think of the cs?
View Quote

I found it to be a really nice shooter, but I personally feel that for this type of pistol I’m more of a full-sized P guy. They had it set up with a red dot and it shot very smoothly with no hiccups.  I also shot the P that day and of course the larger, heavier pistol stayed on target a little better than the CS.  That CS is definitely a beautiful pistol though.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of the box? Staccato. If you want to save some money and don't mind maybe doing some tinkering? Prodigy. A comparable optics ready Staccato P is $2500+, I paid $1274 for my Prodigy. It ran flawless out of the box (4.25'' variant) but I changed the disconnector to help smooth up the trigger pull. Amazingly accurate gun with a great trigger now. I threw a PA RS10 on it for now until the optic plates ship. I have a Holosun EPS Carry ready to go for that.

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Out of the box? Staccato. If you want to save some money and don't mind maybe doing some tinkering? Prodigy. A comparable optics ready Staccato P is $2500+, I paid $1274 for my Prodigy. It ran flawless out of the box (4.25'' variant) but I changed the disconnector to help smooth up the trigger pull. Amazingly accurate gun with a great trigger now. I threw a PA RS10 on it for now until the optic plates ship. I have a Holosun EPS Carry ready to go for that.

https://i.imgur.com/pMWogTu.jpg
View Quote

Would you bet your A$$ on your prodigy? Serious question. The DS prodigy is reminiscent of the Ford 6.0 powertstoke. Some people loved them, some said they were the worst engine. Some ran 300k miles trouble free, some had major failures before 100k.

It’s difficult to gauge wtf is going on with them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Would you bet your A$$ on your prodigy? Serious question. The DS prodigy is reminiscent of the Ford 6.0 powertstoke. Some people loved them, some said they were the worst engine. Some ran 300k miles trouble free, some had major failures before 100k.

View Quote

Yes.  800 rounds with no issues (Lawman, Magtech, S&B - 124 gr. fmj).  I made sure it was reliable with my own hand tuning/fitment.  
Feeds Federal 124 gr. +P HSTs and Speer Gold Dots 124 gr. +P without issues.  Trigger weight is a hair over 4 lbs. for a carry gun with stock parts (measured with weights and not a spring puller).  
Accuracy speaks for itself (15 yards with a reduced target).  Awaiting RMR plate to be shipped.  

SA still has great CS and will take care of any issues if needed.

OP - if your not familiar with 1911 mechanics, stick with Stackatoe.  Even then, you might get a lemon.
You already answered your question in the post.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes.  800 rounds with no issues (Lawman, Magtech, S&B - 124 gr. fmj).  I made sure it was reliable with my own hand tuning/fitment.  
Feeds Federal 124 gr. +P HSTs and Speer Gold Dots 124 gr. +P without issues.  Trigger weight is a hair over 4 lbs. for a carry gun with stock parts (measured with weights and not a spring puller).  
Accuracy speaks for itself (15 yards with a reduced target).
https://i.imgur.com/5tzCiAe.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/S1HWBJq.jpg

SA still has great CS and will take care of any issues if needed.

OP - if your not familiar with 1911 mechanics, stick with Stackatoe.  Even then, you might get a lemon.
You already answered your question in the post.
View Quote

Thanks for the in depth response. I am glad to hear you are having good results with yours. I have have taken an interest to the “2011” guns but due to some unexpected medical expenses I need to figure out what’s going on with that before I buy anything besides groceries, gas, and rent.

Thanks again and happy shooting.

I’d be interested to hear specifically what you tweaked / inspected in your prodigy? I am a mechanic, but have never him smithed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Staccato, this isn’t a Ben close.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure would. Most of the issues seem to be related to tight chambers. Mine seats everything great, I’ve tried 6 different FMJ loads as well as HST, Sig JPH, and at least two other HP loads. No issues with feeding, extracting, firing, etc for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sure would. Most of the issues seem to be related to tight chambers. Mine seats everything great, I’ve tried 6 different FMJ loads as well as HST, Sig JPH, and at least two other HP loads. No issues with feeding, extracting, firing, etc for me.
View Quote

Good deal. Is youre piece the 4.25 or the 5"?
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own neither, yet.
But I’ve been following the release of the prodigy.  It does seem most of the issues are chamber related.  Shouldn’t be that way but it is.  Either send the whole thing back to springer or spend 40 bucks and send the bbl off for a reaming, that appears to be a thing with other 9mms built with a so called match chamber.
Most have been flawless, we mostly hear about the bad ones.

Then there’s the Staccato C2.   I just saw on their website vets can get 10% off.  Gun comes with 3 mags too.
Probably 2100 to get one here.  Not much more than the prodigy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for the in depth response. I am glad to hear you are having good results with yours. I have have taken an interest to the “2011” guns but due to some unexpected medical expenses I need to figure out what’s going on with that before I buy anything besides groceries, gas, and rent.

Thanks again and happy shooting.

I’d be interested to hear specifically what you tweaked / inspected in your prodigy? I am a mechanic, but have never him smithed.
View Quote

Take care of your health.  Can't shoot if you're not around.

Not my 1st foray into 1911s.  After inspecting the gun at the shop and passes muster (i.e. no barrel movement when slide is closed, and after mag released and hammer back, slide fitment, and safety checks.  Then the cosmetic stuff). Once home, I tear it completely down, remove factory grease and check fitment of parts.  Polish with Flitz and Dremel wheel the disconnector, disconnector hole channel in frame, channel under slide, feed ramp, inside top of chamber (path of bullet into chamber), check and tweak extractor tension, trigger bow where it contacts sear/disconnector, tweak middle sear leg of spring, trigger rides within frame, hammer strut where it contacts mainspring plug, mainspring plug where it contacts hammer strut, firing pin stop, sear and hammer engagement angle, mag release, frame and slide rails as needed for smoothness/hand lapping.  Then Lucas oil parts and reassemble for range session.  Add loctite where needed.  

No weak sauce ammo like UMC.  I use higher pressure 124 gr. Nato spec to get in a faster break in.  Then test for defensive ammo.  Hilton has a similar run thru with mags/break in/eval.  

Easy peasy.  That's the labor intensive part that cost more coin.  Nothing wrong with stock parts.  MIM will last or will be replaced as needed.  Lots of parts from EGW, Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Staccato abound.  1911s like to be ran wet.  12 lb. factory recoil spring for standard ammo, 13 lb. for just in case and 15 lb. for +P ammo.  You can also replace the 22 lb. hammer spring for a 19 lb. version.  Some folks replace the titanium FP and FP spring also.  I left mine stock for now.          

SA did use the smaller chamber SAAMI spec on some guns.  If you don't know how to ream and polish or have machinery, send back to SA on their dime to do.  Most of the 5" guns I've seen on UTube, the noob can't get the slide to open and it's a hard lock on an out of spec round.

ETA...  I did have one problem.  Lost fiber rod at 250-300 round mark.  Called SA, they sent several (red and green).  Easy replacement install.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I own neither, yet.
But I’ve been following the release of the prodigy.  It does seem most of the issues are chamber related.  Shouldn’t be that way but it is.  Either send the whole thing back to springer or spend 40 bucks and send the bbl off for a reaming, that appears to be a thing with other 9mms built with a so called match chamber.

Then there’s the Staccato C2.   I just saw on their website vets can get 10% off.  Gun comes with 3 mags too.
View Quote

Sign up on Primary Arms with id.me and your prodigy would be $1274 as well. That’s $800+. Not exactly pocket change for most people
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
s
Quoted:

I own neither, yet.

View Quote

Staccato - LE gets 15% off, 6 mags and optic plate.  Just hard to swallow the cost to play.  Still $2100 for P.  

Eight bills is another gun.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sign up on Primary Arms with id.me and your prodigy would be $1274 as well. That’s $800+. Not exactly pocket change for most people
View Quote

Thank you, didn’t know that one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would go Stuccato, and maybe 6-12 months from now you have trouble free prodigys on the shelf
View Quote
Probably this.

My 4.25" Prodigy has been really good, but if you're actually willing to spend the money on a semi-custom gun, you'll be happier with the semi-custom.

Im a longtime Springfield 1911 guy. Never owned a different brand of 1911, in fact, but their mid-tier guns have enough shortcuts to kinda make you roll your eyes. Slide/barrel/frames are good. Almost every other part is cheap (but decent). The Prodigy is no different. Top end and the frame is full of the same cheap shit parts as their $700 models, it's just that frame cost them a bit to design and machine.

All depends what you wanna do with it. An upgradable project? Springfield in a couple months. Something that might me more or less good to go out of the box? Staccato should be the better bet.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I own neither, yet.

View Quote

I didn't realize vets get a discount.  But, you can get a c2 from gunbroker shipped to your house for 1999+ tax.  For some reason the DUO option adds a considerable amount to that price, even before an optics plate...

Was thinking the standard DLC/SS configuration.

But, if I had a chance to mess with a prodigy in person I might like it more, who knows.

I'm thinking after reading this thread and watching every video I could find on it, the staccato is probably my pick because based on what I've seen and read I know I would like it day one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#23]
If I get the staccato it would be the duo/optic ready, with the up charge.
I fired them off an email to see how the mags would work out.  16 rounders and we have the 15 round BS.
My local GS can get the prodigy with the standard cap mags, he pulls the floor plates before transfer.  Mag parts lol.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I fired them off an email to see how the mags would work out.  16 rounders and we have the 15 round BS.
My local GS can get the prodigy with the standard cap mags, he pulls the floor plates before transfer.  Mag parts lol.
View Quote

@DVCER

what does this mean?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@DVCER

what does this mean?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@DVCER

what does this mean?

Colorado has a 15rd limit on magazines
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#26]

What gun is that? I didn’t think Staccato did one with the flush dust cover/rail.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What gun is that? I didn't think Staccato did one with the flush dust cover/rail.
View Quote
It's a 2019 P. They went to the current look in 2020.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gun is that? I didn't think Staccato did one with the flush dust cover/rail.

Thanks. I love the look and ended up with a couple Tactical 5.0’s.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Colorado has a 15rd limit on magazines
View Quote

Thank you.  True, 16 rd are not allowed.   I believe the staccato ships with 3 ea 16.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thank you.  True, 16 rd are not allowed.   I believe the staccato ships with 3 ea 16.
View Quote

Yeah sorry I didn't realize there was a mag restriction in your state.

You're right the staccato ships woth 3 16rd mags according to their Web site and most of the GB listings I've been looking at.

The prodigy ships with 1x 17rd and 1x 20rd mag.

I've heard that they are compatible between the two, cannot certify that statement though.

The more I look at them side by side, the staccato seems a bit more polished as far as the frame/slide goes.  I've also watched some videos of the prodigy where there's complaints if the slide release being recessed.  Not sure I'd love that, but even my full size Kimber is hard to manipulate one handed.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not my 1st foray into 1911s.  After inspecting the gun at the shop and passes muster (i.e. no barrel movement when slide is closed, and after mag released and hammer back, slide fitment, and safety checks.  Then the cosmetic stuff). Once home, I tear it completely down, remove factory grease and check fitment of parts.  Polish with Flitz and Dremel wheel the disconnector, disconnector hole channel in frame, channel under slide, feed ramp, inside top of chamber (path of bullet into chamber), check and tweak extractor tension, trigger bow where it contacts sear/disconnector, tweak middle sear leg of spring, trigger rides within frame, hammer strut where it contacts mainspring plug, mainspring plug where it contacts hammer strut, firing pin stop, sear and hammer engagement angle, mag release, frame and slide rails as needed for smoothness/hand lapping.  Then Lucas oil parts and reassemble for range session.  Add loctite where needed.  

No weak sauce ammo like UMC.  I use higher pressure 124 gr. Nato spec to get in a faster break in.  Then test for defensive ammo.  Hilton has a similar run thru with mags/break in/eval.  

Easy peasy.  That's the labor intensive part that cost more coin.  Nothing wrong with stock parts.  MIM will last or will be replaced as needed.  Lots of parts from EGW, Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Staccato abound.  1911s like to be ran wet.  12 lb. factory recoil spring for standard ammo, 13 lb. for just in case and 15 lb. for +P ammo.  You can also replace the 22 lb. hammer spring for a 19 lb. version.  Some folks replace the titanium FP and FP spring also.  I left mine stock for now.          

SA did use the smaller chamber SAAMI spec on some guns.  If you don't know how to ream and polish or have machinery, send back to SA on their dime to do.  Most of the 5" guns I've seen on UTube, the noob can't get the slide to open and it's a hard lock on an out of spec round.

ETA...  I did have one problem.  Lost fiber rod at 250-300 round mark.  Called SA, they sent several (red and green).  Easy replacement install.
View Quote

This is what I did and I’m happy with my 5” Prodigy now. I had issues at first though. I’m now close to 500 rounds through it without any issues and plan to carry it AIWB.

I agree with others though, that if you aren’t comfortable with potentially having to do some of this then go with the Staccato. I found the small amount of work well worth the $1000 or so cost savings when compared to an optic ready Staccato.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

My health is good, this was a stupid / freak incident and my own ignorance.

I am a mechanic, I think with some Utube videos I could do these checks / adjustments if I bought a prodigy. I just watched the “how to adjust extractor tension” video from WC And it seemed pretty straight forward , maybe even common sense. Thanks for sharing what you tinkered with. Let’s see what happens with buying one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I got the 4.25 in Springfield , the right guy must of built mine , I did change the recoil spring , gave a shine up on the moving parts and the trigger was pretty good on this one , I like it , I could get the hi dollar one but so far this one works for me there is a lot of difference in price and I could get a Stacutto if I wanted one .
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm still wondering if there will be a magwell available for the Prodigy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never seen the grip module off of either one.  Do the grips flank a frame or would the grip module just be flared at the bottom

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’d think there would have to be given what looks like index points for a magwell on the Prodigy grip module.

There are several that fit. Most that are designed for Gen 1 STI grip modules, which the Prodigy is mostly a copy of. I know the TTI Classic Magwell fits and works with all Dura-Mag lengths and base plates.

From what I’ve read, they are just a tight fit due to the index points in the Prodigy grip modules that are not present on Gen 1 STI grip modules.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You'd think there would have to be given what looks like index points for a magwell on the Prodigy grip module.

There are several that fit. Most that are designed for Gen 1 STI grip modules, which the Prodigy is mostly a copy of. I know the TTI Classic Magwell fits and works with all Dura-Mag lengths and base plates.

From what I've read, they are just a tight fit due to the index points in the Prodigy grip modules that are not present on Gen 1 STI grip modules.
View Quote
I can't see how they would fit unless the Prodigy grip is slightly narrower and the index points compensate for the difference.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I have two C2's, and a P.  They run like tops, but you have to watch the magazines, like all "2011" platforms.   I have two buddies with Prodigy(s), one is a 5" and the other the shorter slide.  I would get the C2, over the 5" Prodigy, no contest.  His is a chit-show, and is at a 'smith right now.  The C2 versus the other is a closer question. I do prefer the Prodigy grip texture, though. The C2 should have the "tactical grip" option like the P which is closer to the Prodigy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't see how they would fit unless the Prodigy grip is slightly narrower and the index points compensate for the difference.
View Quote

That may be the case because I got my Dawson Precision magwell for Gen1 STI frames today and it fits. It’s just tight. The index points are narrower than the inside of the magwell. The 17, 20, and 26 round Dura-Mag’s all fully seat without issue.

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I didn't realize vets get a discount.  But, you can get a c2 from gunbroker shipped to your house for 1999+ tax.  For some reason the DUO option adds a considerable amount to that price, even before an optics plate...

Was thinking the standard DLC/SS configuration.

But, if I had a chance to mess with a prodigy in person I might like it more, who knows.

I'm thinking after reading this thread and watching every video I could find on it, the staccato is probably my pick because based on what I've seen and read I know I would like it day one.
View Quote

Consider doing what I did....I purchased a regular C2 with vet discount and then sent the slide off to Vulcan to be cut and refinished in DLC.  I got a lower optic cut and am all the way happy.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Found myself researching both the staccato C2 and the springfield prodigy.

I'm not one to customize my guns, nor do I really shoot them much more than the average joe.

So for out of the box usage, no accessories, just the way the come, which one is the go to pick, and why?

I do appreciate the 5-700 dollar price difference the prodigy affords, but that's not the an issue if the C2 is wholly a better piece.

I love the commander size frame and I've never owners a 9mm 1911.  Thinking a one and done type purchase that I intend on shooting exactly as it comes from the factory.

Also, bonus points, which one will appreciate more in the future??

View Quote

If saving $500-700 is an issue...

If you know how to tune a 1911 then go with the Prodigy.   If you've never done any gunsmithing to a 1911 then Staccato.  The chances are you'll have to do some minor gunsmithing to the Prodigy to get it to run reliably.  I rarely, if ever, hear of a Staccato having issues. Also the Staccato is going to have way better parts quality and fitment than the Prodigy.

If money isn't an issue...

Staccato

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Staccato for sure, yeah they're expensive as all fuck but they're actually good guns.  Springfield is a shit company and pumps out mediocre guns at best.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, I bought one today.

And, despite what I figured I would have walked away with, I actually went with the Prodigy.

I had a chance to compare them side by side, the C2 and the Prodigy, and honestly, I liked the Prodigy better.

Things that I noticed about the C2 that I liked:
* trigger was great
* smooth slide
* 3 mags in the box and an nice range bag

Things that I noticed about the C2 that I didn't like:
* even though the trigger was great, the actual trigger was plastic, and I didn't like that.
* the grips are nice looking, but I didn't like the 'feel' of them

Things I noticed about the Prodigy that I liked:
* trigger was great
* not quite as smooth of a slide as the C2, but far greater than any 1911 I own.
* the inclusion of an additional optics plate, that I may or may not ever use.
* grip is fantastic, its like velcro in my hand and fits perfectly

Things that I noticed about the Prodigy that I didn't like:
* the 'range bag' is a joke, its cheapy Chinese nylon and hardly any padding. I wouldn't think it to protect anything especially with another mag tossed about in the bag.
* tool required for disassembly, THIS almost killed it for me but hopefully some day there will be an accessory to overcome this.

In a true side by side comparison, I went with S.A.  Plus, even though I was prepared to spend the extra money on the Staccato, the difference was nearly close to 1k at the store.  The S.A. was 1400, and the C2 was 2299.  I spent some of the savings on black-friday ammo sales and a 30 dollar lower they had in stock.  With plenty of dough left over for an RMR and a mounting solution once that comes available.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  My choice really surprised me but I got what I feel to be the best fit for me.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well, I bought one today.

And, despite what I figured I would have walked away with, I actually went with the Prodigy.

I had a chance to compare them side by side, the C2 and the Prodigy, and honestly, I liked the Prodigy better.

Things that I noticed about the C2 that I liked:
* trigger was great
* smooth slide
* 3 mags in the box and an nice range bag

Things that I noticed about the C2 that I didn't like:
* even though the trigger was great, the actual trigger was plastic, and I didn't like that.
* the grips are nice looking, but I didn't like the 'feel' of them

Things I noticed about the Prodigy that I liked:
* trigger was great
* not quite as smooth of a slide as the C2, but far greater than any 1911 I own.
* the inclusion of an additional optics plate, that I may or may not ever use.
* grip is fantastic, its like velcro in my hand and fits perfectly

Things that I noticed about the Prodigy that I didn't like:
* the 'range bag' is a joke, its cheapy Chinese nylon and hardly any padding. I wouldn't think it to protect anything especially with another mag tossed about in the bag.
* tool required for disassembly, THIS almost killed it for me but hopefully some day there will be an accessory to overcome this.

In a true side by side comparison, I went with S.A.  Plus, even though I was prepared to spend the extra money on the Staccato, the difference was nearly close to 1k at the store.  The S.A. was 1400, and the C2 was 2299.  I spent some of the savings on black-friday ammo sales and a 30 dollar lower they had in stock.  With plenty of dough left over for an RMR and a mounting solution once that comes available.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  My choice really surprised me but I got what I feel to be the best fit for me.

View Quote

5" or 4.25" ?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#45]

I put a box of ammo through it without any issues last night.  115gn cheapy stuff from the black friday sale.  It is shooting low at 12 yards, I think, there's probably not a way to fix that is there?  Until I can figure out an RMR solution in the mean time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I put a box of ammo through it without any issues last night.  115gn cheapy stuff from the black friday sale.  It is shooting low at 12 yards, I think, there's probably not a way to fix that is there?  Until I can figure out an RMR solution in the mean time.
View Quote

I’d have someone else shoot it just to confirm. If anything the current SA 1911 pattern guns will shoot a little high because they use sights designed for a 6 o’clock hold.

The only 4.25” tool-less guide rod I’m aware of is the Atlas version that is sold out. It’s unlikely their reverse plug will work, but the guide rod itself should work with the stock SA plug.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#47]
That's a good point, I will have my son shoot it when he's able to see how it does.

I really like the sights on it.  At dusk the front blade was exceptionally visible and added another 10 minutes to my shooting time easily.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The only 4.25" tool-less guide rod I'm aware of is the Atlas version that is sold out. It's unlikely their reverse plug will work, but the guide rod itself should work with the stock SA plug.
View Quote
The Atlas tool-less guide rod looks like the Dawson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top