Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2024 9:20:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ErikTaylor]
Ball n Chain wanted to go to the fun show this past weekend to pick something up for herself that is tiny and easy to carry with lighter clothing while doing pool service outside in this stupid Florida heat. No excuse needed for me to go to a fun show lol. I told her to look for an LCP and didn't even know the Max existed. She found the 75th edition and she goes, "I'll get one if you do..." so figured what the hell. It may be a decent gun to carry while working and would be much lighter than the Staccato CS I normally carry in the fanny. I gotta say I normally work in gym/basketball shorts and this does not pull my shorts down at all. I was really excited about it, but was praying it was a good shooter. Crazy to think something this tiny has 10 rounds in the standard mag and 12 in the extended mags.

So, we bought and came home with them on Sunday. We finally made it to the range today with some excitement but also some anxiousness. My bodyguard is a paperweight despite several trips to S&W. My TCP is fairly reliable but I haven't been able to bring myself to carry that.

We brought 200 rounds of Winchester ball ammo for each pistol. We both shot each gun with not only the factory mag that came with it, but also alternated two additional (for each gun) extended factory mags we found at the fun show. Out of the 200 rounds we both had literally not a single issue or malfunction with putting 200 rounds through each gun. These were shot as they came out of the box, without taking apart and lubing them. The trigger isn't bad at all for pocket pistol (quite good actually, mine has a solid wall) and it was a pleasure to shoot. Unlike my TCP or Bodyguard, I could shoot this pistol all day.

Below is my 200 round group from 7 yards. I did have a couple of flyers to the low and left (outside of my cluster that's low left haha), and my last mag I tried hitting the "A5" which are those higher ones up in the dome. Overall very consistent and actually excited about it.

For a gun this small I came home very impressed with this one... so far...

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang, you wife had to drag you to a fun show, and then twist your arm into buying guns?...she got an identical twin sister that'll get along with my wife? lol

Great little gun.  I really enjoy mine.  Massive improvement over the original LCP is used to carry, or the Airweight I used to carry.  I'm also a summer gym shorts, and sometimes winter sweatpants carrier.  If I could offer a recommendation, you might try out a turbo cheap kydex holster and add an ulticlip to it.  Way better than pocket carry when you don't have a belt, and I imagine the wife would love it, what with women's lamentable lack of deep pockets in their shorts and pants.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:
Dang, you wife had to drag you to a fun show, and then twist your arm into buying guns?...she got an identical twin sister that'll get along with my wife? lol

Great little gun.  I really enjoy mine.  Massive improvement over the original LCP is used to carry, or the Airweight I used to carry.  I'm also a summer gym shorts, and sometimes winter sweatpants carrier.  If I could offer a recommendation, you might try out a turbo cheap kydex holster and add an ulticlip to it.  Way better than pocket carry when you don't have a belt, and I imagine the wife would love it, what with women's lamentable lack of deep pockets in their shorts and pants.
View Quote

You know I was about take her temp and make sure she was feeling ok haha. As for your recommendation, thank you, that's exactly what we did. We got a couple of Kydex holsters for it with the ulticlip and they are fantastic! I really can't wait to put some defensive rounds through this, and a couple more boxes of ball to finish off the breaking in.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Love my LCP max. It's my shorts carry gun. If I'm wearing  a belt I carry my Hellcat pro.  If gym shorts.  lcp max.
Jim
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jsg7162:
Love my LCP max. It's my shorts carry gun. If I'm wearing  a belt I carry my Hellcat pro.  If gym shorts.  lcp max.
Jim
View Quote

Exactly the use I'll be implementing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
CDNN had them on sale today for $239.99. They sold out fast.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-lcpr-max-75th-anniversary-380acp.html
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ErikTaylor:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jsg7162:
Jim

It’s a great pocket gun. There is also some nice appendix holster options for it. I carry mine a lot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BigSky171:
CDNN had them on sale today for $239.99. They sold out fast.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-lcpr-max-75th-anniversary-380acp.html
View Quote

Wow that’s a steal at that price. I thought the $299 we paid was a good deal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 3:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#8]

Wow that’s a steal at that price. I thought the $299 we paid was a good deal.
View Quote

I paid ~$300/used for mine off the EE here with (2) extra magazines. Thought that was a very fair price.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought my wife one. Ordered a Kydex holster with the push off tab so she can carry it in her purse. Need to go shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By defenderhome:
Bought my wife one. Ordered a Kydex holster with the push off tab so she can carry it in her purse. Need to go shoot it.
View Quote

Make sure you shoot it too. You may want to get one yourself.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Wish they would make them in .32 ACP, as I could replace my LCP II .22 as my 'walk the dogs' gun.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#12]
It would rust too much for ankle carry, so I kept my Kahr CM9
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:
It would rust too much for ankle carry, so I kept my Kahr CM9
View Quote

The anniversary edition has a stainless slide.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:42:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fullyloaded] [#14]
I've had the LCP Max for about 3 years. It jammed every couple of shots.  Sent it to Ruger. They replaced the slide and barrel. It now shoots fmj great.  I can't find a hollow point ammo that will feed properly.  I contacted Ruger about this again. They said there is nothing else that they can do. Other than the feeding issue I love the gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought I’d like the Max, was about to upgrade from my gen 1 LCP but then I shot one and it just didn’t do it for me. I was really wanting to like it, too. Made me fall back in love with my LCP, though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fredegar:
I thought I’d like the Max, was about to upgrade from my gen 1 LCP but then I shot one and it just didn’t do it for me. I was really wanting to like it, too. Made me fall back in love with my LCP, though.
View Quote

What about the Max would possibly make you fall back in love with the original LCP?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
My go to pocket EDC with Precision One 90 gr XTP. Never has failed reliability with fmj/90xtp load, easy shooting and accurate, barely prints and has been dropped on pavement a few times accidentally without popping off a round. Single stack LCPs sit in the safe now with a spare lcp max 75th edition for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Fullyloaded:
I've had the LCP Max for about 3 years. It jammed every couple of shots.  Sent it to Ruger. They replaced the slide and barrel. It now shoots fmj great.  I can't find a hollow point ammo that will feed properly.  I contacted Ruger about this again. They said there is nothing else that they can do. Other than the feeding issue I love the gun.
View Quote

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried the Federal Micro HST's? Mine fed/shot those perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

What about the Max would possibly make you fall back in love with the original LCP?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nate19:

I didn't like the way the Max felt in my hands. I shot both back-to-back. My LCP feels more natural to handle and shoot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#20]

I didn't like the way the Max felt in my hands. I shot both back-to-back. My LCP feels more natural to handle and shoot.
View Quote

Have you noticed a difference in the snappiness? The LCP max I can shoot all day. My TCP or BG it gets old after a couple of mags.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I still carry my Gen 1 LCP occasionally, but I love the Max.

I did replace the trigger on mine as I was getting pinched at the bottom of the original trigger.

It’s great either carried IWB or in a pocket.

Looking through my log book I was surprised to see that I’ve only shot 100 rounds through it in the last year.
I’ve got 500 rounds of fmj ammo coming.

Need to get out and shoot it more!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Fullyloaded:
View Quote

@Fullyloaded, have you tried Hornady Critical Defense?
It’s a hollow point with a plastic insert that gives it a fmj profile.
Also had excellent penetration and expansion in gel tests.

Feeds great in my LCP and Max.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I picked up 2 of the 75th anniversary LCP max models. They have been 100% reliable so far in the few hundred rounds I have put through them. I do get a little trigger bite on my trigger finger after firing a couple mags. Not a big deal for a part time carry gun that isn't usually fired a lot. I'm not really impressed with the accuracy either, its ok for close range use but that's it. My original LCP is very accurate and I have used it for rabbit hunting and such.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone had trouble with some mags not wanting to activate the slide lock after the last round?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought mine when they first came out.
Failure to feeds all over the place with all types of ammo.
I sent it back to Ruger who replaced the slide and barrel.
Since then, it's been 100% reliable with every type of ammo I've fed into it except for Fiocchi FMJ.
It hates Fiocchi. Every 3rd shot or so will cause a jam that is very difficult to clear.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#26]
Originally Posted By timb3:
Has anyone had trouble with some mags not wanting to activate the slide lock after the last round?
View Quote

Yes. I contacted Ruger about this and they wanted me to send the gun back. I told them, no.. send me a new slide assembly, barrel, recoil spring, etc. They did. When I got the new full slide assembly, I went to install it and couldn’t get my original slide to not lock back on the magazines like it was before.

I’ve noticed that my Max locks back consistently when actually shooting the gun and going empty. If I’m dry firing and manually manipulating the slide that’s when I was having issues with it locking back.

So now I just have a spare slide assembly for a rainy day. Ruger customer service is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By timb3:
View Quote

Yes I've noticed that with the two factory extended the mags. The 10 rounder seems to lock back every time without fail.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Have you noticed a difference in the snappiness? The LCP max I can shoot all day. My TCP or BG it gets old after a couple of mags.
View All Quotes

The Max felt snappier in my hands. Maybe I am the only one
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#29]

The Max felt snappier in my hands. Maybe I am the only one
View Quote

I don't have a non max LCP to test against. My other two pocket pistols are snappy AF.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#30]
My dad decided he needed one for some reason so I bought him one.  We put about 250 rounds through it when we picked it up, a mix of what PSA had in stock plus some .380 hollow points I had on hand- Speer GDHP, a magazine of Winchester HP and some Remington HP.  No issues, accurate (I think the furthest I ran the target to was 20yrds) and easier to shoot than my original LCP.  He wanted a kydex IWB clip on holster for it so I guess he's carrying it now instead of the 642 I gave him years ago.  I like the stainless slide on the 75th anniversary model, my old LCP rusts if I don't keep it oiled up; it's the gun I often carry running/mountain biking.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
My dad decided he needed one for some reason so I bought him one.  We put about 250 rounds through it when we picked it up, a mix of what PSA had in stock plus some .380 hollow points I had on hand- Speer GDHP, a magazine of Winchester HP and some Remington HP.  No issues, accurate (I think the furthest I ran the target to was 20yrds) and easier to shoot than my original LCP.  He wanted a kydex IWB clip on holster for it so I guess he's carrying it now instead of the 642 I gave him years ago.  I like the stainless slide on the 75th anniversary model, my old LCP rusts if I don't keep it oiled up; it's the gun I often carry running/mountain biking.
View Quote

Your dad will love it if it is behaving anything like mine is. It just runs. Another 500 rounds through it without a single hiccup.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 3:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunjunki] [#32]
I had the slide lock problems too

both types of magazines. I took the baseplates of both types and stretched the springs out about an inch. Reassembled. Slide locks back by hand and while shooting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I like my Max very much and have carried and shot it since they came out.  

Now try the S&W Bodyguard 2.0.  It is much nicer to shoot than my Max.  S&W really hit it with this design.
Lower bore axis really reduces snappiness.  Also it fits in the hand better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Your dad will love it if it is behaving anything like mine is. It just runs. Another 500 rounds through it without a single hiccup.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

He did well with it although watching him shoot it I can't help but wonder if he'd do better with the new S&W as his hands aren't as steady as they used to be.  He did complain of it starting to wear on his finger but I can't see him shooting it a lot so mostly a moot point; he used to shoot frequently but it can be like pulling teeth to get him to go anymore.  Of course if he were to change his mind that means I could end up with the LCP Max but I've been thinking about replacing my original LCP with one of the new Smiths myself.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By GrumpyinStL:

I like my Max very much and have carried and shot it since they came out.  

Now try the S&W Bodyguard 2.0.  It is much nicer to shoot than my Max.  S&W really hit it with this design.
Lower bore axis really reduces snappiness.  Also it fits in the hand better.
View Quote

I’ll check that out. Thanks for the message.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 7:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#36]
Yes I've noticed that with the two factory extended the mags. The 10 rounder seems to lock back every time without fail.
View Quote

I have a few 12 rounders… two had issues. I pulled them all apart… the ones that worked had longer/more coiled springs. The two that didn’t work had identical springs to the 10 rounders.

Emailed Ruger, and they sent two replacements for free. I tossed the other magazines in my parts bin. If Magguts ever does kits for the Max, I’ll rebuild those to get two extras.

That being said, minus a few failures to lock back on those two magazines… my gun has been 100%. Very happy with it. Did MCARBO upgrades and had metal redone by CCR.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top