Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/12/2024 7:11:20 PM EDT
Local gun store has one they just traded in.
I have been kinda sorta looking for a new carry gun.
I am a USP fan (I have several fullsize ones, as well as a Mk23), but have not ventured to any of the other HK models.
I am not a striker fired fan and prefer DA/SA. So the P30SK ticks that box.
I have handled (but not shot) a couple USP compacts as well as the P2000, but neither one really jived with me for some reason.

I handled the P30SK today and really liked it. It felt really good in my hands, I liked all the controls, it seems like a nice smooth rounded carry gun.
I like the 13+1 mags.

My current carry gun is a springfield XD-E 9mm. I have never had a moments trouble out of it and it has shot great, and accurate for the short barrel length.
However being single stack and holding 9+1, I do feel a little under gunned and would prefer a little more capacity.
I have no issues with carrying the XDE and looking at the specs between the two, they are both really close in size and weight.

The P30SK does feel more comfortable to hold, I actually like the HK paddle mag releases (I know some people do not), I like the added mag capacity, and it is still current production.
The XDE is discontinued, has lower capacity, and while the grip is comfortable, it does feel "thin". It also feels and looks a little top heavy. But again, I will mention I have never had a single issue with it.

The only thing stopping me is do I really need/want to spend the money to upgrade. And also hoping to get some real world opinions from owners and not some gun website or youtube review.
They have it priced at $599, but used guns they usually will give me a little break on the price. It looks brand new and can not have more than a couple mags through it. Comes with the original box and 2 mags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the size and the placement of the decocker. I think they hit it out of the park by going to the back of the slide area. I'm not a DA/SA guy but found that feature pretty intuitive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
For AIWB a DA-SA is ideal and that’s a good choice.
The most popular carry guns seem to be Glock43X, Sig P365, S&W Shield Plus.

I don’t own any of these and carry a Glock 22 the most. Probably my all time favorite carry gun was an Sig P 220 or H&K P9s .45ACP  both were single stack DA-SA . Personally I would prefer the full size P30 or P30L to the SK version
https://grabagun.com/heckler-and-koch-p30l-v3-9mm-4-45-barrel-17-rounds.html
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#3]
It’s my goto carry gun
15+1 124gr +P HST & another 17 on tap, TLR7x, and shoots very well

Stock trigger is nothing great, can be improved with rework from lazywolf, gray guns, or ltt in whatever trigger configuration you prefer

ETA: old pic prior to the new +2 factory mags & TLR7x
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to add that CDNN has the full size P30 for $599, and you get a voucher for 3 more mags when you purchase a new gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Trigger is difficult to make better but it can happen.  I have A lem and a DA/SA and carry the lem more.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I appendix carry IWB, just my preference.  
Never been a glock fan or striker fired pistols in general (regardless of brand) But I am not a 1911 "cocked and locked" fan either.
I have always preferred a DA/SA. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, that is just mine.
That was what led me to the XDE when I bought it. At the time, it had not been out very long (I can not remember exactly when they came out or when I got it) but there was not tons of other options out there for DA/SA compacts that I liked, and I liked the XDE "good enough" to choose it. It is not a bad gun, I just want more capacity.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry one with a lem trigger.  If you want a compact da this is the best thing going in my book. Honestly this is the only pistol I would carry appendix. You cannot pull the trigger if your thumb is on the hammer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get a some pieces that can Lower the DA  for 7-8 pounds
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The P30SKS is my current carry gun. Love it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#10]
My daily carry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#11]
It's been my edc for YEARS.  Love it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't carry mine anymore but I should.  I did the p2000 baseplate mod to mine before they came out with higher capacity mags for it.  So mine only holds 10 and I still love it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I stopped back by the shop on my way home and it was still there.
They let me have it for $580.
Has the original box, manual, all the grip panels, and a 10 round flush fit mag. Had the 13 round extended mag while on the shelf. CC date code, so only a couple years old.

I got it home, field stripped it, cleaned and lubed it.
It can not have more than a mag or two through it.
I played around with the grip panels and back straps and came up with the medium ones as my favorite. It fits my hand so well.

Added bonus, it fits the same holster I was using with my old carry gun. It fits it like a glove! So I will not have to buy a new holster.
I will pick up a extra mag for it. Probably another 13 round, or I may get the 15 round.
Is there much length difference between the 13 and 15 round mags?
The 17 round mags (based off the pictures) do look a noticeable amount longer.

What mags are you guys running in yours?

Not sure if I will get to shoot it this weekend, as it is supposed to rain pretty much all weekend. But if there is a break in it, I will be going outside and putting 50 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 6:38:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#14]
Good Job OP!  I use the medium grip panels too.  Neglected to mention the ergos in my post before.  It feels so nice to hold and shoot.  Most guns with ergos that good are not as good looking as this gun.

About the mags, I'd carry with the 13 and keep a 15 as backup, but again I only have experience with the 10s.

Also one suggestion, the holster designed for the other gun will probably safely get you by in the near term, but if you use it for a long time it might put pressure in the wrong spot and wear down the finish there.  A holster fit for the HK will have more even pressure across its surfaces and have more positive and reliable retention for you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 6:45:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sticklebackbob] [#15]
The new sk mags are 12 and 15 rounds now. The 12 being flush, and the 15 with the extra pinky bit. I pretty much only use the 10/12 rounders with the Xtech pinky extension.

I don’t care for the long reset on the p30 line at all, and I’ve put the Gray Guns short reset in all of mine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MTNShewter:
Good Job OP!  I use the medium grip panels too.  Neglected to mention the ergos in my post before.  It feels so nice to hold and shoot.  Most guns with ergos that good are not as good looking as this gun.

About the mags, I'd carry with the 13 and keep a 15 as backup, but again I only have experience with the 10s.

Also one suggestion, the holster designed for the other gun will probably safely get you by in the near term, but if you use it for a long time it might put pressure in the wrong spot and wear down the finish there.  A holster fit for the HK will have more even pressure across its surfaces and have more positive and reliable retention for you.
View Quote

Here is the funny thing about the holster.
Local gun store (same one I just got the P30SK from) had a basket full of some holsters they were clearancing out for cheap a year or so ago. They were lot of various sizes of leather holsters made by 1791 holsters.
They looked well made and I hated the old holster I was using.
I brought the XDE in and tested it in all of them and found one it fit perfectly, even though the label did not list it as fitting it.
I have been using it ever since and have loved it.
When I tested the P30Sk and it also fit perfectly, I decided to look on 1791's website and looked up the P30Sk and sure enough, that exact holster is listed as one of the ones it fits.
So turns out, the holster actually is meant for the P30SK, I have just been using it with the XDE with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Sticklebackbob:
The new sk mags are 12 and 15 rounds now. The 12 being flush, and the 15 with the extra pinky bit. I pretty much only use the 10/12 rounders with the Xtech pinky extension.

I don’t care for the long reset on the p30 line at all, and I’ve put the Gray Guns short reset in all of mine.
View Quote

The mags that came with this one are a 10 round flush mag and a 13 round that is the full round style (not sure what to call it). It is not the angled one with the pinky rest, but it basically looks like a extension of the whole grip.
This one here:
https://hkparts.net/all-parts/h-k-13-round-hk-vp9sk-p30sk-9mm-magazine-black/

I greatly prefer this to the flush 10 round. With the flush 10 round it feels too small and I can not get a good grip.
Carrying around the house, the 13 round mag feels no different than my old gun, so I see no reason for the 10 round for my needs.

Found a post on another forum showing side by side pictures of the mags.
Looks like the 15 round is noticeably longer than the 13's. But kinda hard to tell from a picture if I would be able to tell much difference when carrying.
I would just hate to drop $50 for a mag and not use it.
I may just pick up a couple 13's and call it good.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
That's pretty funny about the holster.  I was assuming you were using kydex, which would cause a lot more wear if it wasn't fit for the gun.  Those 1791 leather goods look much more like a universal fit like some of my galco iwb sleeve style holsters, which work ok but don't hide very well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:

The mags that came with this one are a 10 round flush mag and a 13 round that is the full round style (not sure what to call it). It is not the angled one with the pinky rest, but it basically looks like a extension of the whole grip.
This one here:
https://hkparts.net/all-parts/h-k-13-round-hk-vp9sk-p30sk-9mm-magazine-black/

I greatly prefer this to the flush 10 round. With the flush 10 round it feels too small and I can not get a good grip.
Carrying around the house, the 13 round mag feels no different than my old gun, so I see no reason for the 10 round for my needs.

Found a post on another forum showing side by side pictures of the mags.
Looks like the 15 round is noticeably longer than the 13's. But kinda hard to tell from a picture if I would be able to tell much difference when carrying.
I would just hate to drop $50 for a mag and not use it.
I may just pick up a couple 13's and call it good.
View Quote

Hk did a mag update on the internals for the vp9/p30 and their sk pistols a couple years ago that added more capacity. The 15 rounder your referencing is probably the 15 of yesteryear, and now the 17 rounder.

Here’s the new 15 round sk and p2000 only mag:
https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Magazines/VP9SK-P30SK-9mm-15rd-magazine/p/50257860
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MTNShewter:
That's pretty funny about the holster.  I was assuming you were using kydex, which would cause a lot more wear if it wasn't fit for the gun.  Those 1791 leather goods look much more like a universal fit like some of my galco iwb sleeve style holsters, which work ok but don't hide very well.
View Quote

Ugh, I HATE kydex holsters. WAY too stiff and feels like I am trying to conceal a dinner plate.
I much prefer a nice soft leather holster.
And yes, I am pretty sure it is a universal fit holster. However it fit both the old XDE and the new P30SK like a glove!
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Sticklebackbob:

Hk did a mag update on the internals for the vp9/p30 and their sk pistols a couple years ago that added more capacity. The 15 rounder your referencing is probably the 15 of yesteryear, and now the 17 rounder.

Here’s the new 15 round sk and p2000 only mag:
https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefront/hk/en/Handgun-Parts/Magazines/VP9SK-P30SK-9mm-15rd-magazine/p/50257860
View Quote

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
So I am guessing the one I linked to is older stock?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally had a break in the weather this afternoon.
I loaded it up with some blazer 115gr just to get a few rounds through it.
First shot and the left dot on the rear sight went bye bye. No idea which direction it went, but it flew off somewhere.
I looked everywhere all around me in about a 10ft circle to no avail.
It is just a dirt area with some stick and leaves from the storms the last couple days. I would have thought that dot would have been easy to spot, but I guess not.
Other than that, it ran perfectly. I put 50 rounds through it. It did ok with the blazer 115gr.
I shot the 10 rounds of the federal HST 124gr I had in my old XDE, as it was time to shoot it as I had been carrying it for about a year.
It really liked the HST and shot it very well. I was shooting at 18 yards and it hit POA.

I also brought out the XDE and put a few rounds through it just to give a side by side comparison. Using the same blazer 115gr, it was not as accurate as the P30, but it does have a softer recoil impulse. It has always shot high and today was no exception.
The grip on the P30 is much better, night and day better. The trigger is also slightly better.

I am very happy with it short of losing the dot on the rear sight. It is the glow in the dark dot and not the tritium sights.
Going to contact HK and see if it is possible to get a replacement dot. If not, then I guess I will pop out the other one with a needle and fill the holes with some white paint.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 4:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scollins] [#23]
Shooooootttt....

Noticed one of my distributors carries a P30SK Light LEM with LTT upgrades (RMR cut, trigger job, Gray Guns stuff...)

The cost/retail though.... ooofff.

Better not have a few too many adult beverages one night, might hit the "buy" button in a moment of weakness....

Seems the P30SK is roughly the same size a Glock 26.  Recently bought a G26Gen5 and had it optic cut.  The debate now is selling that for the P30SK.  Might check the local rental range and see if they have one in the case to try out...
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I sent a email to HK customer service last night with a picture and description of what happened, asking if I could purchase a replacement dot for it.
They emailed me back today and said they will send me a replacement sight for free.

So major props to HK customer service!

I hope to get some more time this weekend to put some more rounds down range.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 12:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex_F] [#25]
I recently switched from EDCing Glocks to an HK P30sk (DA/SA).

I should've gotten the LEM model, that's my only regret.  I use the smallest grip panels on it.  

It carries very well, the accuracy is more than adequate, and rapid fire follow up is excellent once I'm past the long double action pull.

I may end up with another in LEM, as well as a P30L for duty belt carry.

Link Posted: 9/17/2024 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried a LEM trigger on a USP once and hated it. Just not my thing.
I completely hate striker fired too. Do not like the trigger pull and I can not bring myself to trust them. Same way I just really do not trust a SA "cocked and locked" either.

I am a DA/SA guy, probably for life. Everyone likes what they like.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

P30sk, CDA4.1 lem kit installed.  13 rnd mag and I carry the 15 as a spare.  I really like how this pistol carries  and shoots.  Trigger reminds me of a striker fired pistol if riding the reset.  No pictures, but the holster I use is from R. Grizzle.  A High Country, with 15 degree rake.  I had a 0 straight drop, but my shoulder likes the 15 better.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:28:43 AM EDT
[#28]
The P30SK has been my CCW for 5 years now. excellent firearms!

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Put another 50 rounds through it today.
Ran flawlessly as expected. (its a HK, why would it not!)
I was using some blazer brass 115gr and accuracy was very surprisingly good given the bulk/cheap ammo. It also shot exactly POA at 18 yards.
I was shooting the same ammo out of a grand power x-calibur and the grouping on the P30 was pretty much the same. The x-calibur is a fullsize pistol, so this little compact holding its own against it was surprising to me.

I have never had any compact pistol I really liked as accuracy was always crap and they were snappy recoil and just not really that great to shoot. I greatly prefer fullsize pistols.
This P30SK has completely changed my mind and I actually love shooting it and really like it way more than I ever thought I would.

This will help motivate me to shoot it more also and get more practice with it.
I spent a couple mags today shooting two shot drills.
I would draw and fire two rounds, then decock, holster and then repeat.
I am starting to get better at it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#30]
It is a smooth shooter for sure.  I also carry mine with a 13rnd mag as it just feels right,  and have 15s and 17s as backups. It shoots like a much larger gun than it is,  even if it's still a bit on the chunky size.

I have a comptac minotaur IWB which is probably my favorite holster I own.  It's comfort is pretty unmatched over even some all leather holsters I've tried and the blend of kydex and leather makes everything just work.

Sadly my oldest daughter has claimed it as her own,  and I'll be purchasing another soon as this gun is my high capacity carry gun compared to my HK45c which I've been carrying for over a decade. 16 vs 9 matters though when I travel to certain areas.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 10:01:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#31]
Well I stopped back by the shop on my way home and it was still there.
They let me have it for $580.
Has the original box, manual, all the grip panels, and a 10 round flush fit mag. Had the 13 round extended mag while on the shelf. CC date code, so only a couple years old.

I got it home, field stripped it, cleaned and lubed it.
It can not have more than a mag or two through it.
I played around with the grip panels and back straps and came up with the medium ones as my favorite. It fits my hand so well.

Added bonus, it fits the same holster I was using with my old carry gun. It fits it like a glove! So I will not have to buy a new holster.
I will pick up a extra mag for it. Probably another 13 round, or I may get the 15 round.
Is there much length difference between the 13 and 15 round mags?
The 17 round mags (based off the pictures) do look a noticeable amount longer.

What mags are you guys running in yours?

Not sure if I will get to shoot it this weekend, as it is supposed to rain pretty much all weekend. But if there is a break in it, I will be going outside and putting 50 rounds through it.
View Quote

Not a bad price if it’s lnib. It’s a great pistol, you just have to get used to the decock button. My favorite mag is the 13 rounder. I have a bunch of 15s but don’t carry them and even my spare is the 13. The 15s I keep loaded in a pack for travel or shtf. The 10 with pinky extension doesn’t even conceal much better than the 13 but the 10 flat baseplate does a little bit. I have 10s too and carry them as spares, they’re less heavy and bulky than the 15s and 13s.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my replacement rear sight from HK yesterday. Currently waiting on my sight pusher to come in. I finally decided to break down and buy one. Got too many pistols to not have one now.

They originally sent me the wrong sights. They sent me the tritium night sights, even though I told him mine was the luminous sight and not the tritium ones.
When the wrong ones showed up, I emailed him back and told him, he promptly sent the right one and told me to keep the night sights. I even offered to send them back on my dime but he said not to worry and keep them.  
So Now I have a set of night sights for it I will never use.
It has to be pretty much pitch black to see them, and the dots do not stand out during the day enough for my liking (I prefer dots on my sights, like the factory ones).
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I have been a long time DA/SA person and after buying and trying many smaller 9mm hand guns the P30_SK v3 was like heaven sent. Everyone's body and eye geometry is different and this gun was my perfect match. It points more   natural for me than anything else I have shot and is therefore the most accurate gun I have. This is my go to piece and I could now get rid of some of the ones I no longer use but that probably won't happen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I carry AIWB.  Striker fired gives me mild concern.  Prefer an SA/DA.  Wouldn't do a single action.

I carried the 3913 and 642 in the past but wanted more firepower, so compromised on a smith MP compact and later walther PDP.  

I handled the P30 sk at a shop.  I like it, but want to shoot one.

Good thread keep the info coming!
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#35]
OP, be careful HKs are addictive, I started with one and now have six, I carry the P30 most of the time but they all get carried. Great choice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Got my replacement rear sight from HK yesterday. Currently waiting on my sight pusher to come in. I finally decided to break down and buy one. Got too many pistols to not have one now.

They originally sent me the wrong sights. They sent me the tritium night sights, even though I told him mine was the luminous sight and not the tritium ones.
When the wrong ones showed up, I emailed him back and told him, he promptly sent the right one and told me to keep the night sights. I even offered to send them back on my dime but he said not to worry and keep them.  
So Now I have a set of night sights for it I will never use.
It has to be pretty much pitch black to see them, and the dots do not stand out during the day enough for my liking (I prefer dots on my sights, like the factory ones).
View Quote

I don’t get why HKCS gets such a bad rap. They’ve been nothing but good to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By owlless:
I carry AIWB.  Striker fired gives me mild concern.  Prefer an SA/DA.  Wouldn't do a single action.

I carried the 3913 and 642 in the past but wanted more firepower, so compromised on a smith MP compact and later walther PDP.  

I handled the P30 sk at a shop.  I like it, but want to shoot one.

Good thread keep the info coming!
View Quote

Just do it!
I HIGHLY doubt you will be disappointed in it.

I am the same way. Appendix carry inside the waist band and I have never, and will never trust any striker fired gun with one in the chamber. I just cant do it.
Single action with safety is the same way.
DA/SA for life for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By awmp:
OP, be careful HKs are addictive, I started with one and now have six, I carry the P30 most of the time but they all get carried. Great choice.
View Quote

Too late buddy.
The P30SK is #7 for me.
Being a fan of H&K is one of the things that helped push me over the edge for buying the P30SK as opposed to other brands. And it being used but like new for a really good price helped too.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top