Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This a cool thread.  I really do like the looks of the 1911.  Tag.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is mine....I didn't do a straight copy as I'm a righty and didn't want the ambi-safety... I got small hands so the ext. slide stop is a must.  I used the drop in beavertail as I am NOT dehorning a USGI frame for this.  Other than that I think I've got it done....I do have a few PWS rear sights but I like the Novak more.  Bar-sto bbl, shok buff, 18.5# spring all the other stuff is in there like its supposed to be.

Here it is with my late '80s rebuild M1911A1 clone on a sistema frame.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The original models do not have rails build in. They used a Surefire 310r or 610r with a extended/extra long slide stop in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:21:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#4]
Originally Posted By Jeremy2171:
Here is mine....I didn't do a straight copy as I'm a righty and didn't want the ambi-safety... I got small hands so the ext. slide stop is a must.  I used the drop in beavertail as I am NOT dehorning a USGI frame for this.  Other than that I think I've got it done....I do have a few PWS rear sights but I like the Novak more.  Bar-sto bbl, shok buff, 18.5# spring all the other stuff is in there like its supposed to be.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/jeremy2171/MEUSOC/MEUSOC001.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/jeremy2171/MEUSOC/MEUSOC002.jpg

Here it is with my late '80s rebuild M1911A1 clone on a sistema frame.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/jeremy2171/MEUSOC/MEUSOC003.jpg

Why not put the GI slide on the GI frame, and build the Sistema frame into a proper clone with the EB grip safety?  

My Variant 3 clone is going to be using a Sistema frame.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump for a fantastic thread. Cheers!
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 4:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeremy2171] [#6]
Originally Posted By Augee:

Why not put the GI slide on the GI frame, and build the Sistema frame into a proper clone with the EB grip safety?  

My Variant 3 clone is going to be using a Sistema frame.  

~Augee

Good point....I've had the MEUSOC together for about 4 yrs now and I just got the Sistema frame so I never really thought about swapping them around.  Just threw the Sistema on the USGI Slide and said "that looks good enough"...

But now that I sit back and look at them....it would probably be better to do as you said and make a "correct" USGI 1911A1 and a "close as I can get" MEUSOC clone (except for the frame).  I still have parts for a second MEUSOC if I can get my buddy to let go of the other frame he has....

And these little things have caused me "numerous" PMs  (sorry for not replying) I've just listed them on GB as I have NO clue on real world value....
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Could you measure the rear sights before you unload them?

Send me the link if you do put them on GB, I'd like a crack at one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you want the measurements posted on here?
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 12:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#9]

I'd say definitely.  Dave Berryhill sent me the measurements for the authentic sights a while back, but I won't have access to those notes for a good while.  They're unusually and surprisingly high, I believe he said they used the .213 Millett front sight and filed them to POI, rather than the .185 he was using.  

I know you said you weren't doing an exact clone and didn't want an ambi-safety, but if you're going to put it on the Sistema slide with the EB grip safety- the Caspian ambi looks pretty similar to the King's 201A.

My "Variant 4" is pretty similar to yours, a "NM" marked Loaded Parked, with King's 201A.  Was planning to swap out the ignition system and hammer with C&S parts, but the SA parts in it right now are working pretty good, no need to waste the money yet.  It's more of a "lookalike" right now than a clone.  Like I said, hopefully my Variant 3 (Berryhill's "Old Version") if I ever finish it will be a much more appropriate clone.      

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Yes.

I also spoke with Berryhill and he did not recall the exact height, but were used in conjunction with a .225 Millet front. He also stated the nich was .125 wide on the PWS sights.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#11]

And these little things have caused me "numerous" PMs  (sorry for not replying) I've just listed them on GB as I have NO clue on real world value....
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/jeremy2171/MEUSOC/MEUSOC005.jpg

What kind of sights are those?  Were they the ones that were used on the MEU(SOC) 1911?

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been reading this thread since the beginning, and I'm finally tagging it so I can quit searching for it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:03:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattNificent] [#13]
i was checking out some pics and noticed that the thumb safety that comes on the RIA tacticals looks pretty close to the kings..as far as the thumb pad part extending all the way back..the actual serrations on the pad are different/not as wide, but beggars cant be choosers...

i wonder if there is any way to get a hold of just the safety?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MattNificent:
i was checking out some pics and noticed that the thumb safety that comes on the RIA tacticals looks pretty close to a clark..as far as the thumb pad part extending all the way back..the actual serrations on the pad are different/not as wide, but beggars cant be choosers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/reviews/RIATactical/smallimages/IMG_1253.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/reviews/RIATactical/smallimages/IMG_1250.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/reviews/RIATactical/smallimages/IMG_1207.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/reviews/RIATactical/smallimages/IMG_1253.jpg

Is it just me or is your sear pin drifted out a bit?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By meestermurphy:
Originally Posted By MattNificent:
i was checking out some pics and noticed that the thumb safety that comes on the RIA tacticals looks pretty close to a clark..as far as the thumb pad part extending all the way back..the actual serrations on the pad are different/not as wide, but beggars cant be choosers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/reviews/RIATactical/smallimages/IMG_1250.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/reviews/RIATactical/smallimages/IMG_1207.jpg

Is it just me or is your sear pin drifted out a bit?

not my gun or pics, but thats how the right side of the safety is retained, by a groove in the sear pin...
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#18]
King's not Clark. Earlier MEUSOC pistol had King's Gun Works ambi thumb safety and Clark beavertail grip safety.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mlin:
King's not Clark. Earlier MEUSOC pistol had King's Gun Works ambi thumb safety and Clark beavertail grip safety.

you are correct sir, i was looking at my clark grip safety at the time..ill change it..
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#20]
if you are looking for a Kings lookalike, the Kimber is pretty similar
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mlin:

You're right.  I was typing Clark and thinking King.

At one time Clark had the last remaining King safeties around.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#23]
does anyone have an alternative to the long gone millett sights?

i loved them on my commander but obviously took too long to get them on any other gun

thanks for any ideas.
michael
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By xdmikey:
does anyone have an alternative to the long gone millett sights?

i loved them on my commander but obviously took too long to get them on any other gun

thanks for any ideas.
michael

I've considered re-contouring an over sized Novaks front site, paired with a Harrison retro rear site.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]
if you have any pics/links to this i'd be happy to reciprocate by emailing you pics(feel free to post)of my commander's millet sight set up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#26]
if you have any pics/links to this i'd be happy to reciprocate by emailing you pics(feel free to post)of my commander's millet sight set up.

this is the retro sight

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/products/114-hd-003-retro-rear-sight.aspx
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
way cool!
thnks Matt
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#28]
way cool!
thnks Matt

no prob
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I found an interesting photo of MEUSOC 1911. Was this the MEU(SOC) pistol from earlier days? Don't know source of the photo, but looks like authentic MEU(SOC). There are a few variants on parts that are not commonly shown in other known photos circulated on the net.

1. Early Colt ambi safety with extended sear pin
2. Pachmayr rubber grip without medallions
3. Older style base pad on 7-round Wilson-Rogers magazine
4. Unknown maker of the slide (Caspian?)

Link Posted: 7/13/2011 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#30]
That's the pic from the old usmc.mil fact file page.  Might have been printed in Tom Clancy's MEU book as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got my digital camera back, so I figured I'd post some pics of the Variant 4-ish MEU(SOC) .45 clone.  

It's a pretty vague clone, I'm working on a Variant 3 clone that's going to be much more correct, but this is a good example of a "rough" clone that has kind of the spirit and feel of the MEU(SOC) .45

The pistol started out as an "NM" serial numbered Loaded Parked.  

It was a pretty damn nice pistol to start with, so I left it mostly as is, minus a couple of little things.  

The MSH was replaced with an S&A checkered with the lanyard loop, and the ILS gotten rid of.  Grips were replaced with Pachmayrs, and the recoil system replaced with surplus USGI parts.  

The biggest change, and the only really "serviceable" part that I bothered replacing was the Springer ambi-thumb safety with a King's:

Given that the Storm Lake barrel and bushing that the Springfield has was perfectly fine, it didn't seem sensible to try replacing it for no other reason that just to make it a better clone, I did have the bushing, barrel tip, and hood Duracoated flat black, however, to knock down the reflectiveness of the stainless parts.  

Likewise, the trigger is crisp, and breaks cleanly, and I didn't feel the need to "de-MIM" the whole thing, so the FCG is all still stock Springfield, including the hammer.  If I ever do end up replacing it, it will be with the proper C&S ignition kit.  

The grip safety is the standard Springfield factory part as well.  There's evidence of Springfield produced Variant 5s with SA grip safeties, so again, for the time being, I didn't see the need to replace it with the correct Ed Brown, especially since the SA tangs would require me to either content myself with a gap, or have the frame tangs rewelded and re-cut.

Again, if I was going for an exact clone, I'd've worried a bit more about those parts- but for a sidearm that more or less meets the features and requirements of the MEU(SOC) .45, I'm really liking this one.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 3:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scooter1942] [#32]
I've been following this thread for a bit and while I never thought I'd actually go to the trouble to put together a variant like this. However, a couple of weeks ago I found a really good deal on a Springfield Loaded and immediately started making some changes.

So far, I've added Pachmeyer grips with Colt logo (found them used at the gun show for cheap).
Wilson Combat Magazine
Changed the mainspring housing with a Caspian serrated flat with lanyard loop
Went with a Caspian ambi mag release SAFETY since the King's in unobtainium

Novak sights were already installed.
Grip safety, trigger and hammer are factory Springfield and likely to stay that way.
The one piece guide rod might get changed out for surplus GI parts, but I might wait on that.

I was essentially modeling off of this pistol based on the slide serrations, sights, etc.:

And this is what I have so far:

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Scooter1942:
I've been following this thread for a bit and while I never thought I'd actually go to the trouble to put together a variant like this. However, a couple of weeks ago I found a really good deal on a Springfield Loaded and immediately started making some changes.

So far, I've added Pachmeyer grips with Colt logo (found them used at the gun show for cheap).
Wilson Combat Magazine
Changed the mainspring housing with a Caspian serrated flat with lanyard loop
Went with a Caspian ambi mag release since the King's in unobtainium

Novak sights were already installed.
Grip safety, trigger and hammer are factory Springfield and likely to stay that way.
The one piece guide rod might get changed out for surplus GI parts, but I might wait on that.

I was essentially modeling off of this pistol based on the slide serrations, sights, etc.:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/scooter1942/34.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/scooter1942/image003.jpg

And this is what I have so far:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/scooter1942/MEU1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/scooter1942/MEU2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/scooter1942/MEU3.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/scooter1942/MEU4.jpg

i assume you meant caspian ambi safety, but niiice clone!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Do you have a USN serial number and how did you get that one?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:03:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scooter1942] [#35]
Originally Posted By USMC_Grunt:

Do you have a USN serial number and how did you get that one?

DING!DING!DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!   Good eye!

PHOTOSHOP

...some people are satisfied with simply erasing their serial number. Why not change it...and erase it at the same time?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:09:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dante551] [#36]
Phase 1 complete. Just waiting on my bar-sto match barrel.

http://www.readycitizen.com/gallery/meusoc45/meusoc45_phase1.jpg
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Excellent pics.  The new parkerized Loadeds are really great pistols - I've been very pleased with mine.  It has proven accurate and reliable.  

I'm surprised that Springfield just doesn't offer the Loaded with a GI recoil assembly and Pachmayr grips...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Those two items as well as the mainspring housing, beavertail grip safety, wide-ambidextrous thumb safety, barrel and various "custom" springs are essentially the only differences from the springfield 1911-a1 loaded version and the MEU(SOC).45.  Its definitely a great model to start with if you're looking to build one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice picture. Looks like a v2 or v3 (mid to late 90's versions) with the pre-novac sights and serrations only on the rear of the slide.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, simply an amazing thread.  I still can't believe this thread is not tacked.  Anyone ask a moderator?

Since this looks to be the most comprehensive thread on USMC 1911s on the internet, I thought I would ad my little tidbit.  Someone mentioned that the ICQB pistols had STI grip safeties added.  I can't really dispute that, but I can say this.  I got to tour DET-1's armory after they returned from their last deployment.  I was with my wife's cousin, a DET-1 member, and met the DET's armorer, a Japanese fellow they called Kit (short for his last name).

Most, if not all of their ICQB pistols had Ed Brown memory groove grip safeties.  None were fitted to the frame, so each had tangs that were not ground flush to the grip safety on the underside.  Kit said he didn't have time to do all 100+ guns prior to deployment, and that is seemed moot since they all used gloves.  

Of interest was a group of racks that had additional Kimber pistols.  There were 8 racks if memory serves, perhaps 10.  I was told that those pistols belonged to their "human intel" folks.  They were stainless Kimbers, though I don't recall which model for sure.  I think they were Compacts, but could have been Pro Carries.  

Here's my personal ICQB.  I added a Dawson rail, Surefire IMPL light, Ed Brown grip safety (not blended), and Simonich grips in black, spray painted Coyote.  If I get a chance I'll take some pics.  Here it is as it was received new in the box:

Seal Team One/DET-1/Polish GROM Challenge coin:

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:34:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dante551] [#42]
Hobbs-very nice pictures and info. My time in was form 89-01 so most of the newer designations and organizational structure we didn't have back then. I was in a DA platoon with Force, used that knowledge and experience to build and soon to complete my MEU(SOC).45. I really like the Kimber as well, don't get me wrong. I just have a preferential bias towards the modified Springfield 1911
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#43]
My boss was a 1st Recon Marine Alpha Company out of Camp Pendleton from the early 1990's until early 2000's. He said his 1911 started out as a complete USGI pistol rebuilt by the armorers in Quantico. When it went back to be rebuilt again it came back with the same USGI frame but a Kimber slide. He said all the pistols varied and no two were alike except for sights, safeties and barrels. Some had Caspian slides, others had Springfield or USGI like we have seen in some pictures. He also said they all ran shock buffs (also mentioned) and the Pacmeyer grips. He stated they did not use any light rails until later in his career. They were removable and would depend more on the mission description if they decided to run them. He did complain about the rails being "junk" so many did not run lights because "we had lights on the M4's and PEQ 2's" (His words) "so we didn't need one on our pistol. If we ended up having to pull our pistol then the last or your worries was the ability to illuminate the target". He is going to contact one of his friends that is still in service to see what info he can dig up for me about the current versions in that particular unit. I'll post it when i know more. It may or may not help add any additional info that has already been posted, but its nice to get real info from the guys that actually use them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't remember seeing kimber or caspian parts but it's highly likely since the armorer's were tops at getting and using parts from anywhere. The pistol lights we had were crap, i agree but we did have to night qualify with them and other styles/positions like utilizing a hand held flashlight, gas masks, etc. There was always talk of getting a .45 ACP MP5 created, but that never amounted to anything but talk so we always used the MP5N within DA platoons.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow, thanks for sharing hobbs! I would definately like seeing how the gun looks now with the light on it.
I have thought about turning my NM Springer MilSpec into one of these clones....but I'm not sure. May get a Loaded and try with that.

Nice Kimber!
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 10:44:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zodtgr8] [#46]
Bumping this thread because I agree it deserves a Sticky

here is my old MEU-ish wannabe gun. Just a Stock Springer Loaded with Pachmayr Grips... still looks the part, though.

Recently sold her to a fellow arfcommer and replaced her with a Colt XSE that I am currently tinkering with... Kept the Pachmayrs, though. as an interim solution until I can send my colt in for checkering.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bogus:
My boss was a 1st Recon Marine Alpha Company out of Camp Pendleton from the early 1990's until early 2000's. He said his 1911 started out as a complete USGI pistol rebuilt by the armorers in Quantico. When it went back to be rebuilt again it came back with the same USGI frame but a Kimber slide. He said all the pistols varied and no two were alike except for sights, safeties and barrels. Some had Caspian slides, others had Springfield or USGI like we have seen in some pictures. He also said they all ran shock buffs (also mentioned) and the Pacmeyer grips. He stated they did not use any light rails until later in his career. They were removable and would depend more on the mission description if they decided to run them. He did complain about the rails being "junk" so many did not run lights because "we had lights on the M4's and PEQ 2's" (His words) "so we didn't need one on our pistol. If we ended up having to pull our pistol then the last or your worries was the ability to illuminate the target". He is going to contact one of his friends that is still in service to see what info he can dig up for me about the current versions in that particular unit. I'll post it when i know more. It may or may not help add any additional info that has already been posted, but its nice to get real info from the guys that actually use them.

Ill be interested in hearing what they are doing now.  Also could you get some pics as well that would also be of big help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#48]
pics of mine again, just because.....

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#49]

that beavertail looks fantastic

Berryhill?
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 10:12:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: asiparks] [#50]
Originally Posted By eternal24k:

that beavertail looks fantastic

Berryhill?

Rodgers, I believe. I'm the 3rd lucky owner

Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top