Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2024 6:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210]
I'm thinking about building a custom Gen3 Glock 19 with 3rd party parts. (Milled slide, red dot, aftermarket match trigger, aftermarket match barrel, etc.)

Should I start with an LEO trade-in and rebuild it or buy a 3rd party bare frame?  

What aftermarket bare frame?  Is a PSA Dagger bare frame (just the frame) an OK starting point or something else?

Link Posted: 10/1/2024 7:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunjunki] [#1]
If you like the factory frame, go for it! I don't myself. Dagger, Lone Wolf, Grit Grips.
Use Glock factory parts for the frame and slide. If you like a better trigger pull , the ones I have used the most of have been (order of preference) Timney, Johnny Glock, GPT and factory
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I put together a G17L with a ported barrel.  

I started with a G17 police trade in that I paid $300 for.  
Now having the extra slide drives me crazy and I’m looking into getting another frame to make two complete guns.  

I don’t really like the aftermarket options so I have been looking at Glock branded frames.  

If you are looking at PSA dagger frames, I think both their compact and full size use G19 slides. So if you are building a G17 make sure the slide is compatible.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it would be cheaper to get just an aftermarket frame to build on.

It would be even cheaper to go with a stock Shadow Systems option. Even if you don’t like their trigger and swap it out it would probably be cheaper than sourcing separate parts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in this same boat. I went SCT. Getting a Glock frame and having it laser stippled on top of replacing most of the parts anyway, it just didn’t stack up as the best choice for what I was wanting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 10:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#5]
I vote starting with a Grit Grips or Combat Armory G19 frame.

Gen3 G19 is the modern 1911.  Just about any part you can want, is made for the Gen3 G19.

It really depends if you want an OEM slide to send off, or you're set on using an aftermarket slide that's pre-machined how you want. Also how much you want done to the frame.  If you want elaborate stippling, the OEM frame is great for that.

If you want a modified Glock, get a Glock and do what you want.  If you want one of the many aftermarket options out there, I'd suggest an aftermarket frame.  

The Grit Grips G19 frame is gaining in popularity (and finally has a magwell available).  I had one and really liked it, but prefer the full length grip.  As soon as they make a G45 equivalent, I'm getting one.  I love that the Gen4/5 magazine release it uses (a feature shared by the Lone Wolf frames).  The GG19 (what I've called it) fits in standard G19 holsters. They're also available stripped, with OEM parts or with SCT parts.

PSA Dagger only comes assembled and definitely do not fit all G19 holsters.  They feel pretty good, but are pure Gen3 (magazine release too). They often have a ridiculously heavy magazine release button.

Combat Armory makes a lot of junk (barrels and slides), but the G19 frame is legitimately a great value (not in the Walmart way).  Full G19 holster compatibility.

The Lone Wolf timberwolf frame is interesting as they offer a Gen3/4 hybrid frame, but for a G19 build, you might check out their Dusk frame.  

If you want an OEM look, Remsport slides look great and are inexpensive for what you get.  They are Gen3, but look like Gen5 (front serrations and rounded nose) and have a nice finish.  They'd be a great blank slate to start from if you just want minor modifications to the slide.  

Another slide option which looks nice, has a great optic cut, and is priced fairly (considering what's already done) is the Shadow Systems standalone Gen3 G19 slide.
https://shadowsystemscorp.com/gen3/. $348.99 at Bud's online.

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions guys!  

That gives me some great starting points for my research.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gunjunki:
If you like the factory frame, go for it! ... Use Glock factory parts for the frame and slide.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not married to the OEM frame. I'm leaning towards aftermarket there for better ergos.

OEM internals makes sense just from a durability and reliability stance. I think I'll go with just an aftermarket barrel and trigger.

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:48:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#8]
Originally Posted By naes:
Now having the extra slide drives me crazy and I’m looking into getting another frame to make two complete guns.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By naes:
LOL. That's where I am with my P320. I'm fighting the urge to make complete guns from all the spare parts.

If you are looking at PSA dagger frames, I think both their compact and full size use G19 slides. So if you are building a G17 make sure the slide is compatible.
I noticed that. I know Brownells makes a G17 size slide that works with a Gen3 G19 sized frame. Maybe someone else does as well.

For now though I think I'll just stick with the G19 size. I have a few long slides for my P320s, but I'm finding I like the M18/G19 size configuration better. Most of my other striker fired guns (and a bunch of the hammer guns) are about the G19 size as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:50:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#9]
Originally Posted By -CRW-:

It would be even cheaper to go with a stock Shadow Systems option. Even if you don’t like their trigger and swap it out it would probably be cheaper than sourcing separate parts.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -CRW-:

Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
I was in this same boat. I went SCT. Getting a Glock frame and having it laser stippled on top of replacing most of the parts anyway, it just didn’t stack up as the best choice for what I was wanting.
That's what I was wondering. I don't mind spending extra for good parts, but I hate paying twice and then having a bunch of stuff I paid for left over and collecting dust.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:56:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#10]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

Gen3 G19 is the modern 1911.  Just about any part you can want, is made for the Gen3 G19.

It really depends if you want an OEM slide to send off, or you're set on using an aftermarket slide that's pre-machined how you want. Also how much you want done to the frame.  If you want elaborate stippling, the OEM frame is great for that.

If you want a modified Glock, get a Glock and do what you want.  If you want one of the many aftermarket options out there, I'd suggest an aftermarket frame.  

The Grit Grips G19 frame is gaining in popularity (and finally has a magwell available).  I had one and really liked it, but prefer the full length grip.  As soon as they make a G45 equivalent, I'm getting one.  I love that the Gen4/5 magazine release it uses (a feature shared by the Lone Wolf frames).  The GG19 (what I've called it) fits in standard G19 holsters. They're also available stripped, with OEM parts or with SCT parts.

PSA Dagger only comes assembled and definitely do not fit all G19 holsters.  They feel pretty good, but are pure Gen3 (magazine release too). They often have a ridiculously heavy magazine release button.

Combat Armory makes a lot of junk (barrels and slides), but the G19 frame is legitimately a great value (not in the Walmart way).  Full G19 holster compatibility.

The Lone Wolf timberwolf frame is interesting as they offer a Gen3/4 hybrid frame, but for a G19 build, you might check out their Dusk frame.  

If you want an OEM look, Remsport slides look great and are inexpensive for what you get.  They are Gen3, but look like Gen5 (front serrations and rounded nose) and have a nice finish.  They'd be a great blank slate to start from if you just want minor modifications to the slide.  

Another slide option which looks nice, has a great optic cut, and is priced fairly (considering what's already done) is the Shadow Systems standalone Gen3 G19 slide.

View Quote
I agree with the 1911 analogy. That's what led me down this road. Plus I like building stuff from parts. It lets you build it exactly the way you want it. I've built parts gun FALs, AKs, AR15s, P320s, and a 1911, but never built a Glock yet.

Thanks' for typing up all that great info!

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I suspect Brownells will be discontinuing their G19 long slide soon as they have done with many of their other slides. If you want one, this is the time to get one. I've been fighting the urge but $100 and then keep tossing out 10 and 12% off coupons, it's hard to say no.

The PSA Dagger X slide is there G19 long slide equivalent. The problem is, their production is very limited and they seem to allocate those slides to SX complete daggers, of which there are often none in stock anyway.  

My issue with the Brownell slides is they are firm believers in 90° angles. I swear I could use one of those to frame a house LOL.  Some people have had issues with those slides fitting in their holsters because of how squared off they are.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 12:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#12]
I suspect Brownells will be discontinuing their G19 long slide soon as they have done with many of their other slides. If you want one, this is the time to get one. I've been fighting the urge but $100 and then keep tossing out 10 and 12% off coupons, it's hard to say no.

The PSA Dagger X slide is there G19 long slide equivalent. The problem is, their production is very limited and they seem to allocate those slides to SX complete daggers, of which there are often none in stock anyway.  

My issue with the Brownell slides is they are firm believers in 90° angles. I swear I could use one of those to frame a house LOL.  Some people have had issues with those slides fitting in their holsters because of how squared off they are.
View Quote

Good points. Yeah, I've never seen the Dagger X in stock. I thought they discontinued it.

Maybe I will pick up a Brownells Long Slide with iron sights. That will give me me more time to decide on a 19 slide for a red dot. I don't care about long slide holster compatibility. It will just be a range toy. I'd use a G19 slide with a holster anyway.

EDIT:
It's all moot. The Brownells slide won't work with a G17 barrel. You have to use the special Brownells barrel and they are discontinued. So they still have slides, but no barrels for them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
They said it won't work with a Gen5 G17 barrel?  That's essentially what a G19L would be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 3:16:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#14]
They said it won't work with a Gen5 G17 barrel?  That's essentially what a G19L would be.
View All Quotes
Yeah.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/handgun-parts/handgun-slides-parts/long-slide-for-gen3-glock-19-nitride/?sku=078000381

Due to changes in barrel-to-frame geometry caused by mating the longer slide with the smaller Glock®19 frame, a standard Glock®17 barrel won’t work with this slide. Instead, use the Brownells Extended Barrel for Glock® 19 (sold separately, #078-000-383, plain, or #078-000-384, with threaded muzzle).

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm totally cool with changing out parts on my rifles, and generally have no issues. Why do I have such a hard time trusting non glock glocks? I need to get over that and starting building pistols. Seems like they are working ok for the most part?
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Yeah.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/handgun-parts/handgun-slides-parts/long-slide-for-gen3-glock-19-nitride/?sku=078000381

Maybe a G19L barrel is also different from a G17 barrel?  

View All Quotes
Yeah.

Due to changes in barrel-to-frame geometry caused by mating the longer slide with the smaller Glock®19 frame, a standard Glock®17 barrel won’t work with this slide. Instead, use the Brownells Extended Barrel for Glock® 19 (sold separately, #078-000-383, plain, or #078-000-384, with threaded muzzle).

Maybe a G19L barrel is also different from a G17 barrel?  

They're speaking of Gen1-4 G17 barrels.  There's zero difference in a Gen5 G17 barrel and a G19L.  Just as a Gen5 G17 and G34 will fit a G19.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve built two G19L Glock clones. I used G17 slides, G17.5 barrels and an adapter from Lone Wolf to fill the gap.

G19L

2nd G19L (go to second pic)

You can also do a G26XL
G26XL

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LonChaney:

You can also do a G26XL
G26XL

View Quote

I had this page open and posted my reply without refreshing.  

Are you using a lone wolf Gen3 to Gen3 and a Gen3 to Gen4?
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#20]

I had this page open and posted my reply without refreshing.  

Are you using a lone wolf Gen3 to Gen3 and a Gen3 to Gen4?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Yep.
View Quote

I had a Ricky Mouse solution a few weeks ago.

Gen3 G34 slide +

Gen3 G34 RSA +

Gen5 G34 barrel +

Strike Industries G-SAP (Gen3 slide to Gen4 frame adapter) +

2A3D Gen3 G19 slide to Gen4 G26 frame adapter+

Gen4 G19 frame (MR920 & DR920)

I could have tried an uncapped custom RSA, but I had everything in hand and wanted to see if it would fit

The Gen3 RSA wasn't long enough to fit, so the two adapters added just enough length.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/3/2024 9:21:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#22]

They're speaking of Gen1-4 G17 barrels.  There's zero difference in a Gen5 G17 barrel and a G19L.  Just as a Gen5 G17 and G34 will fit a G19.
View All Quotes

I’ve built two G19L Glock clones. I used G17 slides, G17.5 barrels and an adapter from Lone Wolf to fill the gap.

G19L

You can also do a G26XL
G26XL

That's interesting info. Thanks!

I can tell which gen a particular gun is, but I'm pretty confused when it comes to what is and is not compatible.  I think initially I'm just going to play it safe by staying in the Gen 3 lane for my first build.  I can move into the fast lane of gen conversions on future builds.

Link Posted: 10/3/2024 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Physically speaking.....

Gen4 & Gen5 frames have a larger opening in the front, so a Gen4 or Gen5 won't fit a Gen3 frame (without opening up the frame).  

A Gen3 slide will fit a Gen4 or Gen5 frame, with a gap.  Strike Industries G-SAP fills in the gap (a few other companies make versions too).  You would use the Gen3 RSA.  

Here's a Gen3 on the left, Gen4 on the right.

Attachment Attached File

Gen4 slide uses the same internal parts as Gen1-3 and most of the frame parts are the same as well.  

Gen4 & Gen5 use a thicker, double spring RSA. So if you opened the front of the Gen3 frame to fit the Gen4 slide, the RSA still might not fit.  But there are also adapters to fit a Gen3 RSA on a Gen4 or Gen5 slide.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Physically speaking.....

Gen4 & Gen5 frames have a larger opening in the front, so a Gen4 or Gen5 won't fit a Gen3 frame (without opening up the frame).  

A Gen3 slide will fit a Gen4 or Gen5 frame, with a gap.  Strike Industries G-SAP fills in the gap (a few other companies make versions too).  You would use the Gen3 RSA.  

Here's a Gen3 on the left, Gen4 on the right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/551633/1000020147_png-3339202.JPG

Gen4 slide uses the same internal parts as Gen1-3 and most of the frame parts are the same as well.  

Gen4 & Gen5 use a thicker, double spring RSA. So if you opened the front of the Gen3 frame to fit the Gen4 slide, the RSA still might not fit.  But there are also adapters to fit a Gen3 RSA on a Gen4 or Gen5 slide.
View Quote

Cool. Thanks for the explanation.  

I'm starting to get a clearer picture. It's much less fuzzy now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I just ordered a Grit Grips frame. They have one assembled with the OEM parts. I priced it out and I couldn't beat their price by much with a bare frame, buying the OEM parts, and assembling it myself.

So now I just need a slide and a better than OEM trigger.

Does anyone sell a slide with an RMR cut and the rear sight mounted in front of the optic?  The only one I can find is the Dagger slide.

I may just get an OEM slide on Ebay and send it off to Primary Machine or somewhere.

Link Posted: 10/3/2024 6:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#26]

I just ordered a Grit Grips frame. They have one assembled with the OEM parts. I priced it out and I couldn't beat their price by much with a bare frame, buying the OEM parts, and assembling it myself.

So now I just need a slide and a better than OEM trigger.

Does anyone sell a slide with an RMR cut and the rear sight mounted in front of the optic?  The only one I can find is the Dagger slide.

I may just get an OEM slide on Ebay and send it off to Primary Machine or somewhere.

View Quote

The PSA Dagger slide is the only one I've seen without getting one specialty done.  I have a gray stripped SW3 just sitting around.  

You like the stock Glock look, Remsport makes a great Gen 3 slide that looks very similar to the Gen 5. Rounded nose, front serrations, nice finish.  They sell a non-optic version for $99 on their website and also on their eBay store. Just make sure on the eBay store that you get the one with the vertical serrations if that's what you prefer, they have both sometimes.

https://www.tr-enabling.com/category-s/1962.htm

Then you could send it to whoever you want to get the rear site forward cut and optic cut done.  

https://www.namelessarms.com/ is probably who I would send a slide to if I needed one done. His Facebook page is very informative with photos and videos describing different optic cut related items.  He's gotten more popular in the last year, but his shipping speeds are still much better than most I've seen.

Link Posted: 10/4/2024 9:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#27]
Originally Posted By DavidY:The PSA Dagger slide is the only one I've seen without getting one specialty done.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DavidY:The PSA Dagger slide is the only one I've seen without getting one specialty done.
It's weird that nobody else does that on their slides.  You have to give props to PSA for options.

Originally Posted By DavidY:You like the stock Glock look, Remsport makes a great Gen 3 slide that looks very similar to the Gen 5. Rounded nose, front serrations, nice finish.  They sell a non-optic version for $99 on their website and also on their eBay store. Just make sure on the eBay store that you get the one with the vertical serrations if that's what you prefer, they have both sometimes.

https://www.tr-enabling.com/category-s/1962.htm
Thanks for the link. Those do look good.

I'm leaning heavily on an OEM Glock 19 slide though. Maybe I can find a deal on the EE or Ebay. A lightly used stripped would be perfect. Then I can use a new OEM parts kit and a new threaded barrel.

Originally Posted By DavidY:Then you could send it to whoever you want to get the rear site forward cut and optic cut done.  

https://www.namelessarms.com/ is probably who I would send a slide to if I needed one done. His Facebook page is very informative with photos and videos describing different optic cut related items.  He's gotten more popular in the last year, but his shipping speeds are still much better than most I've seen.
Wow, he does have good turn around time. I just sent a couple of P320 slides to JagerWerx. I'm expecting 8 weeks or more. Though I am getting them nitrided, which adds a couple weeks.

I've had good luck with Primary Machine too. They did a couple CZ slides and an S&W for me. Really nice quality work and quick turnaround. But that was about 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 2:13:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#28]

So would this barrel work with the Brownells G19 Long Slide on a Gen 3 (grit grips) frame?

If so, I'd use a Gen 3 G17 recoil spring with it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#29]

So would this barrel work with the Brownells G19 Long Slide on a Gen 3 (grit grips) frame?

If so, I'd use a Gen 3 G17 recoil spring with it?
View Quote

Good question that I'm not 100% sure of the answer (having one hour of sleep in the last 32 hours isn't helping).

The Shadow Systems DR920 is essentially a Gen4 G19L slide as the DR (G17 size) and MR (G19 size) share the same RSA.  But they did that on purpose.  

I'm half tempted to buy the slide &ba barrel just to find out

Link Posted: 10/4/2024 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Good question that I'm not 100% sure of the answer (having one hour of sleep in the last 32 hours isn't helping).

The Shadow Systems DR920 is essentially a Gen4 G19L slide as the DR (G17 size) and MR (G19 size) share the same RSA.  But they did that on purpose.  

View Quote

The DR920 is the only factory Glock 17ish clone that I know of that will allow you to use a G19 slide+comp on the frame without cutting the slide rails. I’m tempted to get one just cuz I have a PMM Ultra JTTC dual port comp/barrel that I could drop on there. I just think those type top ends are cool.

I’d really love to drop a G26 slide+comp on a G19 frame. Just because.
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 7:01:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#31]

View All Quotes

The DR920 is the only factory Glock 17ish clone that I know of that will allow you to use a G19 slide+comp on the frame without cutting the slide rails. I’m tempted to get one just cuz I have a PMM Ultra JTTC dual port comp/barrel that I could drop on there. I just think those type top ends are cool.

Maybe I'll just get a full size SCT17 frame and a G17 slide.

Does anyone else make an aftermarket G17 frame?

Link Posted: 10/4/2024 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Nomad, but it’s Gen 5 pattern.

https://www.nomaddefenseco.com/frames/
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I have a brownells g19 slide.  You are on point with the sharp angles.  But it fits all of my holsters. However, they are a little snug and I have to loosen any retention screw.  Another option if I was to carry it full time would be to heat the kydex a little so it will form and relax to the slide. It should still work great on my gen3 oem slide as well. But I'm not positive I will keep the slide.
Link Posted: 10/5/2024 1:40:39 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Lone Wolf.  They take Gen3 and Gen4 slides (They have a small piece you remove when using a Gen4).
Link Posted: 10/5/2024 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I've got a DR Elite and MR Combat frame, hit me up
Link Posted: 10/5/2024 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Lone Wolf.  They take Gen3 and Gen4 slides (They have a small piece you remove when using a Gen4).
View Quote

That's a cool setup. I'm not sure I like their frame though.

Link Posted: 10/5/2024 9:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#37]
I went ahead and ordered one of those retro Gen1 G17 Classics to scratch my G17 itch.  I figured the longer slide is only an advantage if I'm using iron sights, and then I might as well go retro. I kind of like the sleek look without the rail.

So now I have a Gen1 ish thing coming, a Gen 3ish thing coming, and I just picked up a new Gen 5 G19 today.  

Before today, I never owned a Glock in my life!
Link Posted: 10/5/2024 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

The majority of people who own them say they feel great. They sure as hell look a little weird fully assembled, I don't know what it is exactly, I think maybe the shape of the magazine well and the angle of the grip just looks a little weird to me.

Link Posted: 10/5/2024 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I went ahead and ordered one of those retro Gen1 G17 Classics to scratch my G17 itch.  I figured the longer slide is only an advantage if I'm using iron sights, and then I might as well go retro. I kind of like the sleek look without the rail.

So now I have a Gen1 ish thing coming, a Gen 3ish thing coming, and I just picked up a new Gen 5 G19 today.  

Before today, I never owned a Glock in my life!
View Quote

That sounds about right
Link Posted: 10/5/2024 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#40]

The majority of people who own them say they feel great. They sure as hell look a little weird fully assembled, I don't know what it is exactly, I think maybe the shape of the magazine well and the angle of the grip just looks a little weird to me.

View Quote
Yeah, I agree.  

I'd have to try one. If it felt great to shoot, I could learn to love it. Until then, I just can't get past the weird looks to buy one.  

A big part of going custom is looking cool right?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 8:14:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#41]
Thanks for all the advice guys. The Grit Grips frame came in yesterday and I really like it a lot.

I went with OEM Glock internals and the trigger is actually pretty nice. Heavy, but crisp with no creep or mush after takeup. I think it's better than my Gen 5's trigger. which is a little lighter but has a slight bit of creep. (I shoot revolvers in double action, so I don't mind heavy, but I like smooth and no creep.)  I do not like the ribbed Gen 3 trigger shoe though. I bought an OEM Glock smooth one from Midway to swap out. I'm hoping it doesn't change the crisp break this one has.

I picked up a used Gen 3 slide on Ebay. It has a slight bit of holster wear on the front corners, but otherwise looks new. I soaked the bore overnight and there was no blue at all on the patch. I don't think it was shot much at all. I bought a new recoil spring just for piece of mind and I swapped the barrel out with a new Gen 5 threaded barrel and put a Griffin EZ-Lok suppressor mount on it (It has a Carry Comp thread protector on it right now).

Test firing today showed it to be pretty darn accurate, so I'm happy with that barrel, and the trigger. The GG frame felt awesome. It's grippy but not overly abrasive. It just locks in. It's really well designed.  I'd love to see them make a G17 frame.

The slide will packed up and sent off tomorrow to get milled for a Holosun EPS, which just came in today. I'm getting a Nitride refinish as well. Still not sure what sights I'm going with. Supposedly the EPS works with OEM height.  I'm getting the rear dovetail relocated to in front of the optic, so that might limit me on length/overhang. I guess I'll wait until I get it back to see what fits there. I have TruGlo TFX on my Gen 5 but they might not fit this.

Link Posted: 10/11/2024 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 7:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#43]

G19L

You can also do a G26XL
G26XL

View Quote

@LonChaney

So pretend I’m a Glock idiot. Does this mean you can put a Gen 5 G17 barrel on a Gen 3 G19 frame and use Gen 3 G17 slides?
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 10:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigjoe7757] [#44]
I went with a Nomad 9x frame in two tone OD green. This model comes with a metal blackstrap and magwell along with laser stippled grips. I am very happy with it. Added a Zev Citadel slide, all oem internals with the exception of a nomad mag release and overwatch precision trigger. Finished it off with holosun 508t and a surefire x300u. Running stock Glock 17 mags with the oem +2 extensions and 11 coil springs. This build runs 100% with either a stock barrel and recoil spring I have or my agency arms sage dynamics comp setup. Check out Nomad you won’t be sorry, as info this is my second build. First build I tried an SCT frame and PSA micro dagger frame to build 43x and didn’t like either. The sct was straight junk, the PSA was great as long as you left it stock with their slide and barrel.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]

@LonChaney

So pretend I’m a Glock idiot. Does this mean you can put a Gen 5 G17 barrel on a Gen 3 G19 frame and use Gen 3 G17 slides?
View Quote

Yes. The Gen 5 guns share a common locking block. That locking block is the G19 style and is reverse compatible with any G19 generation. Lone Wolf makes an adapter that fills the gap between the end of the slide and end of the dust cover. I’ve done two that way. I’ve even messed around with a G34 slide on a G19 frame, but didn’t like it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2024 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Yes. The Gen 5 guns share a common locking block. That locking block is the G19 style and is reverse compatible with any G19 generation. Lone Wolf makes an adapter that fills the gap between the end of the slide and end of the dust cover. I’ve done two that way. I’ve even messed around with a G34 slide on a G19 frame, but didn’t like it.

View Quote

Definitely going to push my build this way now. Does it use a Gen 5 G17 recoil spring I’m guessing?
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 7:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#47]

Definitely going to push my build this way now. Does it use a Gen 5 G17 recoil spring I’m guessing?
View Quote

Gen5 RSA probably won't fit the opening in the frame (definitely won't fit the opening in the Gen3 slide without turning down the end of the RSA).  

The easiest way would be a non-captured recoil spring rod as the stock OEM RSA might not be long enough (my experience from a few weeks ago putting a Gen3 G34 slide on a Gen4 G19 frame).

This is what Lone Wolf recommends for their frame adapter.

https://lonewolfdist.com/parts/guide-rods/lwd-s-s-guide-rod-for-use-with-slide-adapters/

Link Posted: 10/14/2024 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

DavidY is correct. Can use the Lonewolf one however I’ve been using one from Frank Proctor with a 15 pound recoil spring.

Proctor
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#49]

DavidY is correct. Can use the Lonewolf one however I’ve been using one from Frank Proctor with a 15 pound recoil spring.

Proctor
View All Quotes

Proctor

Nice catch, I have not heard of them before. I'll be filing that one away in the mental storage bin.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Rem Sport slides are great for the money. They are 416 Stainless, but are melonited which adds some surface hardness. Compared to some of the cheaper slides that only use Cerakote.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top