Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2024 9:29:04 AM EDT

I apologize in advance. This is going to be a little bit long-winded. I sent back some beautiful Austrian glocks because they did not eject right. This turned into a back-and-forth with some more problematic Austrian ones except they are not as pretty. The customer service has been fantastic, I have no complaints there. What I did learn over the last two years is that Austrian and American Glocks slowly traded places. I remember seeing the first American ones. They had a rough finish and just looked cheap. Somehow I have now seen Austrian ones that look exactly like that and American ones that look nice and clean. in particular, there is a weld line right where your right thumb would be if you lift it up. this is something that was sometimes visible on older models, but it is prominent on the new Austrian frames and absent on the American American ones. The punchline is The service manager found me a pair of pistols to replace mine that look nice feel nice and eject well but there's one catch – they are made in the USA. I would much prefer that they are marked Austria, but if you guys can point out some way in which US made ones have been superior functionally, not just cosmetically, that would be mighty helpful.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The majority of mine are Austrian born but I have seen no discernible difference between Austria or USA produced Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spadedracer:
The majority of mine are Austrian born but I have seen no discernible difference between Austria or USA produced Glocks.
View Quote

Same other then the USA not allowing the tenifer finish due to the EPA no difference accept finish.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:55:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#3]
Originally Posted By OTHP:

Same other then the USA not allowing the tenifer finish due to the EPA no difference accept finish.
View Quote

Tenifer = Melonite = Nitride
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried stamp collecting?
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 5:37:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#5]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

View Quote
Not exactly. I have an older Glock that has the "frying pan" finish and compared to the current ones is diamond hard
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By STJ:
Not exactly. I have an older Glock that has the "frying pan" finish and compared to the current ones is diamond hard
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He ain't wrong. In the ten seconds you took to reply you could have Googled and learned that.
Tenifer/Melonite/Nitride aren't coatings, they are metal surface treatments. That "frying pan finish".......it ain't Tenifer. It's paint.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes

All trade names for the same process.

Only not everyone processes the same. Nitride processing depths and hardness achievements are all over the map.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 7:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#8]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

He ain't wrong. In the ten seconds you took to reply you could have Googled and learned that.
Tenifer/Melonite/Nitride aren't coatings, they are metal surface treatments. That "frying pan finish".......it ain't Tenifer. It's paint.
View Quote

I don't think I've ever handled one. I'd love to get my hands on one and scrape some inconspicuous spot to see if it's got a topcoat like a paint job. Every time I've ever had any occasion to communicate with Glock, I always try to ask them about that finish and they always swear up and down that it's never been anything but black oxide over nitride.

To elaborate, salt bath nitride has a final step that's more of a cleaning process that leaves a black iron oxide finish. With the GEN five, they spray some kind of garbage that they claim is like DLC over gas nitride, which doesn't undergo that process so if you look inside the barrel, it's gray (gas and I tried leaves gray metal ). And I guess the new 48 and maybe other models get gas nitride and then black oxide as a separate step. I think it might be the reverse; that they don't use salt bath nitride in Europe anymore because cyanide is involved; this doesn't altogether make sense to me since chrome plating is a lot more toxic, and they still do that in Austria and other places.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]

>they don't use salt bath nitride in Europe anymore because cyanide is involved; this doesn't altogether make sense to me since chrome plating is a lot more toxic, and they still do that in Austria and other places.
View Quote

There are environment-friendly salt bath nitriding processes that do not utilize cyanide and are being used in Europe.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 34.5 in the Austrian and the American flavor. I discern not a difference between them other than the rollmark. Articles have been written about how Glock went to extensive lengths to make the two facilities produce what is in every essence the same weapon. Having actually owned both, I don't disagree.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
No difference
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're experiencing ejection problems with A LOT of glocks, couldn't you conclude that it might not be the glock itself that's the problem? I mean one or two perhaps, but MUTIPLE ones? that sounds rather far fetched to me. A lot of people don't like to admit it to themselves but they're limp wrist or following the recoil of their glock. It causes a lot more jams and the most popular caliber I seen it happen with is the .45 where it would eject straight back and smack the person in the head and frequently jam.

The simple way to check though is to ask someone else to shoot it for you and see if they experience the same problems. You might be surprised that it doesn't happen at all for them.

My thought is that your experience with glocks have nothing to do with it being made in Austria or USA but rather you're just limp wrist it or following the recoil.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#13]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
If you're experiencing ejection problems with A LOT of glocks, couldn't you conclude that it might not be the glock itself that's the problem? I mean one or two perhaps, but MUTIPLE ones? that sounds rather far fetched to me. A lot of people don't like to admit it to themselves but they're limp wrist or following the recoil of their glock. It causes a lot more jams and the most popular caliber I seen it happen with is the .45 where it would eject straight back and smack the person in the head and frequently jam.

The simple way to check though is to ask someone else to shoot it for you and see if they experience the same problems. You might be surprised that it doesn't happen at all for them.

My thought is that your experience with glocks have nothing to do with it being made in Austria or USA but rather you're just limp wrist it or following the recoil.
View Quote

I owned 3 others for for many years, no issues.
I took friends with me twice to shoot these. Lastly, my issues were confirmed at glock.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had many, many GLOCKs of both heritages. Can't tell a single difference between any of them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been carrying Glocks since 1991.  I much prefer the Austrian ones for the history / pedigree.  Only exception is my G42.  It's stamped with the Georgia state outline and has been 100% reliable.  Nowdays it probably does not matter as much as it did back in the 90's.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By kymarkh:
I've been carrying Glocks since 1991.  I much prefer the Austrian ones for the history / pedigree.  Only exception is my G42.  It's stamped with the Georgia state outline and has been 100% reliable.  Nowdays it probably does not matter as much as it did back in the 90's.
View Quote

I was hoping somebody would give me an excuse to take  the us made ones...
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
I've had many, many GLOCKs of both heritages. Can't tell a single difference between any of them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]

I was hoping somebody would give me an excuse to take  the us made ones...
View Quote

The excuse is.....there is zero difference between the US made vs Austria made.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#19]

The excuse is.....there is zero difference between the US made vs Austria made.
View Quote

This is probably true
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#20]

View All Quotes

There is nothing "paint" about it.  It doesn't scratch.

My newer Gen 3s and Gen 5s are nothing like it.

While they all might be Nitride in some way, the process has changed.

That's what I mean when I say "Not exactly" to they are all equal "Tenifer = Melonite = Nitride"
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a combination of both USA and Austrian stamped Glocks. All of them have been 100% reliable no matter what feed it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

This. I simply prefer USA marked Glocks because I prefer USA made anything to anything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

This. I simply prefer USA marked Glocks because I prefer USA made anything to anything.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nate19:

I actually KIND of prefer the Austrian ones just because they're the original and I think the Georgia outline is kind of dumb.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#24]

That's what I mean when I say "Not exactly" to they are all equal "Tenifer = Melonite = Nitride"
View All Quotes

They have at least changed how they prep (blast) the slides. They JUST changed it (making them rougher) and then changed it again.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:47:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wespe] [#25]

View Quote

The frying pan finish on my gun is most certainly not paint.

Edit to add this [url=https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/frying-pan-finish.1681765/] could’ve google it in ten seconds before looking like a wise ass.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Never thought of a quality issue if there is one? I must be a Glock "snob" since my 5 are all Austrian. Never payed any attention for that matter. They just work and that's all I care about.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Of my 5 Glocks (34-5, 19-5, 19x, 17-3, 44) only the 44 is USA made. And being rimfire, I don't consider that an accurate comparison to the rest.  I didn't plan to buy or seek out Austrian made guns, it just happened that way. The next 3 Glocks on my "want" list .....a 21-5, 47, or the retro gen 2 17 reissue,  I'd only prefer the G2 17 to be made in Austria....and for all I know,  that's perhaps where all those are made...idk?
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Gasbar419:
Of my 5 Glocks (34-5, 19-5, 19x, 17-3, 44) only the 44 is USA made. And being rimfire, I don't consider that an accurate comparison to the rest.  I didn't plan to buy or seek out Austrian made guns, it just happened that way. The next 3 Glocks on my "want" list .....a 21-5, 47, or the retro gen 2 17 reissue,  I'd only prefer the G2 17 to be made in Austria....and for all I know,  that's perhaps where all those are made...idk?
View Quote

They are going to repop the gen 2 17?
Wow!
That was my 1st semi gun still have it bought as soon as they came back on the public market.
Have a gen 2 19 as well. Picked up usex for 250 around 2019 or 2020
Only USA glock is my gen 3 21 my 30S is Austrian also.
When I compare the USA G21 to the other imports something is a bit off with the finish but it's not spray paint LOL
Just not like the imports. All funtion as glocks do better then a timex.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Wow!
That was my 1st semi gun still have it bought as soon as they came back on the public market.
When I compare the USA G21 to the other imports something is a bit off with the finish but it's not spray paint LOL
View Quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1048570554

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#30]
Even deleted the third pin

And MADE IN AUSTRALIA

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

And MADE IN AUSTRALIA

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/IMG_3825_jpeg-3256994.JPG
View Quote

Geeze everything old is new again!

Friend sold a OG gen 1 17 last year. Got stupid money for a it.
Same deal as me had it for 30+ years.
Says he doesn't miss it but brings it up all the time starting with " when I had" or "my old G17 was..."
I guess what ever lie he has to tell his self to make it through the day but it's pretty apparent he does in fact regret selling it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Wespe:

The frying pan finish on my gun is most certainly not paint.

Edit to add this [url=https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/frying-pan-finish.1681765/] could’ve google it in ten seconds before looking like a wise ass.
View Quote

It's paint. Also known as a finish, a coating, a topical substance applied after the nitrocarburizing.

(as told to me at Glock Armorers class years ago)

If you think "paint" can only mean Sherwin Williams, Rustoleum or Krylon you would be mistaken.

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Wow!
View Quote

I misspoke...I meant the repro gen 1 17. But I'd buy a gen 2 repro as well
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Glock, an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilized the Tenifer process until 2010, to protect the barrels and slides of the pistols they manufacture. The finish on a Glock pistol is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating via a 500 °C (932 °F) nitride bath.[32] The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant.[33] After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off. In 2010 Glock switched to a gaseous ferritic nitrocarburizing process

From Wiki.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 7:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#35]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 8:06:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#36]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 8:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#37]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

And MADE IN AUSTRALIA

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/IMG_3825_jpeg-3256994.JPG
View Quote

Whats the pic from? That's not the p80.
I heard they are doing other models.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#38]
"Pretty Glocks."
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#39]
The only complaint I have had about USA Glocks are very recent production ones.  

I probably just got a one off.  
I got a G19 USA that the channel liner was not installed properly and the gun was oil dripping.

After I cleaned it up and actually pressed in the channel liner, it has ran flawlessly.  

So bottom line, I have no issues with the USA built Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ve had a few US made Glocks, mainly newer Gen 5 ones, but I still think my Gen 3 Austrian Proof Marked G19 feels better made and has better fit/finish than any of the others. That and I’m a sucker for the frying pan finish.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:
I’ve had a few US made Glocks, mainly newer Gen 5 ones, but I still think my Gen 3 Austrian Proof Marked G19 feels better made and has better fit/finish than any of the others. That and I’m a sucker for the frying pan finish.
View Quote

I've been eyeing second generation 19s and they don't seem to have a smooth finish at all
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#42]

I've been eyeing second generation 19s and they don't seem to have a smooth finish at all
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:

My second gen 19 is the dull gray parkarizing. Stood up well over the years
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#43]

You get help, moron. Im asking how people like their us-made glocks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
I hear crafting cards is fun.  Seriously,  OP seek help for your issues.

You get help, moron. Im asking how people like their us-made glocks.

The first step is admitting you have a problem

Here you go
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#44]
USA made G19 and Austrian made G21. Both gen 5. Finishes look identical to me. Smooth, slick, and evenly applied.

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
"Pretty Glocks."
View Quote

I knew this thread was destined for epicness when I read " I sent back some beautiful Austrian glocks".
Hasn't disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Yeah, my Gen 2 19 & 21 don’t have that glossy frying pan finish, neither does one of my early Gen 3 17’s (early 2000’s). I’ve seemed to notice it only on Gen 3 guns in the late 2000’s/early teens.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:22:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NTXGlocker] [#47]
@OP.

I've had the reverse issue. I own two USA Glocks.
One of them, a G19C (add: a gen 4) has given me headaches since I
bought the dam thing. The other one, a G43 has never
had any issues.

I have a broad assortment of Glocks, the vast majority are Austrian
when none of them having issues. I've always started them with +P ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NTXGlocker:
@OP.

had any issues.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By NTXGlocker:
@OP.

had any issues.

View Quote

Probably a good idea to break them in with plus P although it sounds expensive. What year is the problem gun?
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Probably a good idea to break them in with plus P although it sounds expensive. What year is the problem gun?
View Quote

Sorry, just saw your post.

I don’t remember what year, probably 2014-15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top