Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2024 6:54:45 PM EDT
Our department issues Gen 5 Glock 17’s (Now buying 47’s).  In the last two weeks we have had 2 guns suffer catastrophic malfunctions caused by the recoil springs disassembling inside of the gun.  The incident today left the gun completely inoperable and none of us armorers could get the slide off to replace the spring.  We called glock and they asked us to send the gun back for examination and will be replacing all of our recoil springs.  The affected serial number prefixes for our two failures  are BYLW and BYLV.  Just something to be aware of.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, this is not the first I have heard of this.

Something changed in design or a bad batch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Great- and I just ordered a 17/5 MOS today….
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkHatfield] [#4]
Has happened to me on a different model, a 26.  That double spring thing failed, rode over one another.  Was years ago.  Very difficult to get the gun apart.

When the new 'captive' single spring on the rod, came out to replace the original version on the 17s and 19s, one snapped in my hand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for heads up. I really wish glock would make a metal guide rod.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
News to me

Have pics?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
No pics but I can describe what happened on the 2nd occurrence.  The officer finished cleaning his glock and reassembled it.  He then performed a function check and when racking the slide to the rear, the plastic guide rod went shooting out of the front of the gun.  The 2 springs inside, now non captured, unsprung and locked up the gun completely.  We tried removing the striker assembly but the slide still wouldn’t budge.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
How will glock get the slide off without destroying something?
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By madbubba:
How will glock get the slide off without destroying something?
View Quote

Good question. Maybe try to knock all the frame pins out and disassemble the slide, remove the back plate. If that fails they will probably use violence and destroy the gun. I wouldn't want that gun back afterwards anyway. Glock probably had $50 invested in that gun so I think they are more curious to find the cause than trying to save it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
What caused the design of putting double recoil springs in to a pistol to come about?  I think my S&W 380 and Plus 9 both have them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Spleenless-Dave:
What caused the design of putting double recoil springs in to a pistol to come about?  I think my S&W 380 and Plus 9 both have them.
View Quote

Glock started theirs with the G26 and G27.  I don't recall having any non-glocks with a double recoil spring assembly, but most of what I've had has been Glocks or Glock copies.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Ludwig Seecamp invented the "Seecamp Spring" for his pocket pistols.

The advantage of this type of spring is that it situates the springs in parallel, but they act as though they are in series.   This provides a compact spring that has a low spring rate, which permits a physically short spring assembly to hold the slide in battery with a large force, while not being overstressed in the fully-recoiled position.

It's probably impossible to fit a conventional round-wire spring into a compact or subcompact glock that can 1) provide sufficient holding force in-battery, 2) collapse to a short enough solid-height, and 3) not be overstressed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
hopefully not the same as a G34 Gen5??
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mew:
View Quote

Pretty sure it's exactly the same.  

It is on the Gen3.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

The advantage of this type of spring is that it situates the springs in parallel, but they act as though they are in series.   This provides a compact spring that has a low spring rate, which permits a physically short spring assembly to hold the slide in battery with a large force, while not being overstressed in the fully-recoiled position.

It's probably impossible to fit a conventional round-wire spring into a compact or subcompact glock that can 1) provide sufficient holding force in-battery, 2) collapse to a short enough solid-height, and 3) not be overstressed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

I've never heard it explained like that, but it makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, have pics?  I dont think this is a very common occurrence but anything can and will break.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 6:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mew] [#17]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

It is on the Gen3.
View Quote

You are trying to say the Gen.3 and Gen. 5 recoil assembly are the same?? Doesn't seem 2 generations later the same recoil assembly would be used. Do you have part numbers or where are you getting your information?
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 10:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#18]

It is on the Gen3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It is on the Gen3.

It is on the Gen3.

You are trying to say the Gen.3 and Gen. 5 recoil assembly are the same?? Doesn't seem 2 generations later the same recoil assembly would be used. Do you have part numbers or where are you getting your information?

It's infinitely more helpful if you quote the person that I was quoting and answering.

But my reply to your question is..... Not even close.  

The original post is about the Gen5 G17.  

The person I quoted said "hopefully not the same as a G34 Gen5??" I replied it is.  

"It is on the Gen3"

I assumed anyone could figure out that meant that I was conveying that the Gen3 G17 and the Gen3 G34 both use the same RSA, same as how the G17 and G34 in their Gen5 forms also share most components.  Not that the Gen3 shared anything with the Gen5.  

If anyone somehow misconstrued what I said to thinking the Gen 5 and Gen 3 share the same RSA, then that's on them.  I really can't break down everything Barney style every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top