Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2024 2:17:20 PM EDT
If you are moving through your house turning your pistol light on and off - are you using support thumb or trigger finger?

With x300 I like then thumb but with TLR7 (old paddle) I seem to prefer trigger finger.

Link Posted: 9/21/2024 2:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#1]
I use my support thumb with a handgun (or a grip activation switch).

If I light up someone trying to kill me, I want to ready to shoot, with the light on.  Plus I want my trigger finger to have only one job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Support thumb unless exigency or specific circumstances dictate otherwise (injury, actively helping someone else escape, rendering medical aid, running a shield, holding a K9 lead, etc).  It's too risky to operate the light with trigger finger as a standard practice. Startle response, sympathetic reflex, slips and falls all happen and are likely to happen.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Wanted to add - as has been previously stated - if threat is ID'd, you'll most likely want to keep trigger finger free from pre-occupation and ready to work - without the absolute requirement to have the light go out as the trigger is pressed.  Even the split second it takes to switch from momentary to constant on may be too long and may be a bad decision, given a particular context.

Circumstances may dictate the light turning off to engage or seek better options, but most likely, once a threat is identifed, light will best serve to stay activated (positive target ID, maintain tactical advantage, etc).  For anyone still in the "but they'll shoot the light" camp - yeah, maybe, but most people that think or say that need some FoF for some context, experience and proof of concept.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Support thumb.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Support thumb. It is the way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Support thumb most of the time, but I train trigger finger too, for one handed shooting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have big hands and find that where most people mount their lights, with the switches sticking into the trigger guard, kind of trips up my finger when I go from indexing to the trigger.

So I mount my light a bit more forward than typical. But whether I use thumb or index depends on what I’m doing. Quick flash, it’s support thumb. But to leave it on, I use the index. It’s just kinda weird pushing up with the thumb in that position.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 4:43:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ICU] [#8]
Support thumb…
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 7:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac45] [#9]
First index finger knuckle, on the support hand. Roll it on as I mount the gun. Support hand thumb to disengage.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tac45:
First index finger knuckle, on the support hand. Roll it on as I mount the gun. Support hand thumb to disengage.
View Quote

I learned this technique from Steve Fisher at Sentinel Concepts a few years back and it works very well.  
Using a large part of your support hand as the activator is a good gross motor skill that is hard to miss, even if you are wearing gloves or have small hands.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dwb1987] [#11]
Surefire DG switch.  If not available/equipped then I use support thumb.

Streamlight makes a similar option, but its super bulky and there's no way it'd work with my safariland holster.  As is with the surefire I had to lightly Dremel some material for smooth function.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dwb1987:
Surefire DG switch.  If not available/equipped then I use support thumb.

Streamlight makes a similar option, but its super bulky and there's no way it'd work with my safariland holster.  As is with the surefire I had to lightly Dremel some material for smooth function.
View Quote

I could be wrong on this but I don't think safariland makes any DG compatible holsters that support RDS yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Support thumb unless shooting one handed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep! I learned this from Fish as well. Also seen the Centrifuge guys teaching it.

Was a little at first but do it a couple times and it starts to make total sense. Try holding the momentary feature down under recoil. I don’t think I’ve ever used the momentary since picking this technique up.

Originally Posted By PRYDE:

I learned this technique from Steve Fisher at Sentinel Concepts a few years back and it works very well.  
Using a large part of your support hand as the activator is a good gross motor skill that is hard to miss, even if you are wearing gloves or have small hands.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2024 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I am going to deviate from what looks like literally everyone.  

You should practice both and here is why.  You may be down and arm or have the other arm/hand occupied.  You may be carrying/dragging something or someone, maybe you are disabled, injured, or supporting something.  The other issue is maybe the switch is not responding or damaged on one side.  Not to forget or mention sometimes you have to open doors or getting in/out of a vehicle.  Lastly maybe position in an environment or body orientation does not allow a second hand to be on the pistol.  No matter what you should be able to function the light with both hands on the pistol, both hands on the pistol but reversed which hand is dominate on the pistol, or single handed both right and left

Link Posted: 9/24/2024 8:51:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#17]
Support thumb unless one handed in which case you don't have much option.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Support thumb.  While I haven't been training enough lately, we always train momentary on with our lights and lasers.  I want to be able to manipulate trigger and light independently.

Training both makes sense of course, tools in the toolbox and all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Support thumb.  While I haven't been training enough lately, we always train momentary on with our lights and lasers.  I want to be able to manipulate trigger and light independently and need to be able to move position without my light on where possible.

Training both makes sense of course, tools in the toolbox and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top