Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2024 3:35:12 AM EDT
I bought a case of this M1152 ammo a while back. It was tipped with a 115grn flat-nose FMJ. It was dependable, accurate and powerful for a target round. Lately, this ammo is listing "Discontinued" everywhere I look.  No explanations offered.
Does anyone have the real dope on why this Winchester ammo suddenly went unobtanium?

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 4:06:59 AM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Sgammo has 4k rounds
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw a coupe of "Discontinued" notifications, like one on Midway USA, and assumed the rest.  Thanks for the true information on availability.

Case closed!  
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Watching SG's velocity tests, it does seem like the Service Grade is a little hotter even than the commercial M1152 was.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Watching SG's velocity tests, it does seem like the Service Grade is a little hotter even than the commercial M1152 was.
View Quote

Thank you for the heads up!  I exclusively shoot pistols with fully supported chambers, and love me some of that +P ammo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:17:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#7]
Interesting. Maybe they had the stop using the M1152 branding?

It’s a warm load and with a flat point should penetrate straight and deep without yaw
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:41:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#8]
A welcome respite from most glacial factory ammo, and perfect training analogue to 9BPLE.

Kinda a weird load for the military, seems more optimized for bear defense then slim built jihadists and chicoms. Conventional wisdom would have been them sticking with 124gr FMJ they have, or a 147gr FMJ loaded to identical velocity as their M1153 JHP. I'd love to know what their rationale was.

Be interesting to see how it performs through windshield glass vs JHP or slower round nose FMJ. Ditto car bodies. Thats the best guess I have for why they went with this load.

Either way, very happy to have it as range / training ammo as it's fun to shoot and accurate.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:  A welcome respite from most glacial factory ammo, and perfect training analogue to 9BPLE.

Kinda a weird load for the military, seems more optimized for bear defense then slim built jihadists and chicoms. Conventional wisdom would have been them sticking with 124gr FMJ they have, or a 147gr FMJ loaded to identical velocity as their M1153 JHP. I'd love to know what their rationale was.

Be interesting to see how it performs through windshield glass vs JHP or slower round nose FMJ. Ditto car bodies. Thats the best guess I have for why they went with this load.

Either way, very happy to have it as range / training ammo as it's fun to shoot and accurate.
View Quote

Given stateside MPs carry 147 grn hollowpoints IIRC, it's not car bodies or windshield glass that drove 115 grn.

124 grn goes transsonic before 115 grn does, which is why the Army pistol team went to 147 grn years ago - no transsonic induced wobble prior to the 50 yd target.

115 grn flat points is amusingly the original German load for the Luger.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 4:11:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weptek911] [#10]
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
looks like it's now sold as the "Service Grade" Line..
https://www.sgammo.com/product/9mm-luger-ammo/500-round-case-9mm-115-grain-fmj-winchester-high-pressure-ammo-sg9w
View Quote

Hey a YouTube celebrity!

I enjoy your YouTube content . Thank you for evaluating FMJ ammo on your channel. Most everyone else focuses on JHP and HP ammo. I carry HP ammo in my daily carry but I stockpile the cheaper FMJ and it’s nice to know what it’s capable of in an emergency.

@Buffman_LT1
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

Hey a YouTube celebrity!

I enjoy your YouTube content . Thank you for evaluating FMJ ammo on your channel. Most everyone else focuses on JHP and HP ammo. I carry HP ammo in my daily carry but I stockpile the cheaper FMJ and it's nice to know what it's capable of in an emergency.

@Buffman_LT1
View Quote
Thank you kindly! It's a never ending job, but I try to review as much as I can..
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Given stateside MPs carry 147 grn hollowpoints IIRC, it's not car bodies or windshield glass that drove 115 grn.

124 grn goes transsonic before 115 grn does, which is why the Army pistol team went to 147 grn years ago - no transsonic induced wobble prior to the 50 yd target.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:  A welcome respite from most glacial factory ammo, and perfect training analogue to 9BPLE.

I thought the original Luger load was a 124grn flat point.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
124gr. truncated cone actually.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The 1152 was designed to give slightly increase terminal effects over 882
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#15]
Originally Posted By R0N:
The 1152 was designed to give slightly increase terminal effects over 882
View Quote

Can you expand on that? seems counterintuitive that a non-expanding FMJ-FP would provide increased terminal effects over a FMJ-RN when at least the RN is likely to yaw. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I’m assuming the mil version of this ammo is double sealed?
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Can you expand on that? seems counterintuitive that a non-expanding FMJ-FP would provide increased terminal effects over a FMJ-RN when at least the RN is likely to yaw. What am I missing?
View Quote

From what I was told the yaw is about meaningless and the flat nose cuts the wound track better, is more “barrier” blind and has deeper penetration
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:
I’m assuming the mil version of this ammo is double sealed?
View Quote

The commercial version I bought a few months ago from SG Ammo is sealed at the primer and neck with red sealant; there is some variation round to round how much sealant is visible.

Ammo is powerful, it was able to cycle my open division race gun with 3 chamber compensator perfectly.

Notable increase in blast when firing vs normal plinking FMJ out of my Glock and Scorpion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]

From what I was told the yaw is about meaningless and the flat nose cuts the wound track better, is more “barrier” blind and has deeper penetration
View All Quotes

Cool, thanks.

I wonder why they went with 115gr @ 1320fps. Perhaps future plans to run compensated pistols?

Otherwise you'd think a 147gr FMJ-FP ballistically matched to the JHP load would have made more sense.

No complaints from me, the M1152 is a ton of fun to shoot and cycles great in my comp'd pistol, just seems an unusual choice from a mil standpoint.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Cool, thanks.

I wonder why they went with 115gr @ 1320fps. Perhaps future plans to run compensated pistols?

Otherwise you'd think a 147gr FMJ-FP ballistically matched to the JHP load would have made more sense.

No complaints from me, the M1152 is a ton of fun to shoot and cycles great in my comp'd pistol, just seems an unusual choice from a mil standpoint.
View All Quotes

From what I was told the yaw is about meaningless and the flat nose cuts the wound track better, is more "barrier" blind and has deeper penetration

Cool, thanks.

Well From a logistics standpoint, the 115 is definitely lighter..
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

From what I was told the yaw is about meaningless and the flat nose cuts the wound track better, is more "barrier" blind and has deeper penetration

Cool, thanks.

Yes, theres that.

But then theres the question of why such a high velocity? Standard pressure ~1150fps 115gr flat point will already penetrate two gel blocks back to back.

Is The Question Finally Answered? 9mm FMJ Flat vs Round Ballistic Gel Test. Which Penetrates More?

It seems like there was a specific performance parameter here they were after, since theres nothing remotely like this on the market prior, I just don't know what that performance goal was.

But whatever their reason, its awesome ammo, and pretty much the best factory plinking ammo you can get for running in a compensated 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top