Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2021 2:04:07 PM EDT
I have about 1.2k through a 43x with the oem polymer mag catch. About half of those rounds fired through OEM mags, half through Shield Arms steel mags. I've read the steel mags wear on the polymer mag catch after some time. But so far all mags insert clean, good tactile click, no notice of easier drops using the mag release.

I've specifically avoided swapping the mag catch with a metal one to avoid chewing up my OEM mags which I also shoot. I picked up a handful of the oem polymer mag catches (5 for >$30 shipped), and figure I will just replace them as they wear out. (If they ever wear out?) At the rate I shoot this and the fact the original one is still hanging in there seems like a good plan to shoot guilt free knowing I can swap the catch out if ever needed.

Anyone think that's a bad idea to stick with the SA mags + oem catch/release?

Anyone using an alum or steel mag catch AND shooting oem polymer mags? Are they getting chewed up, or what?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I switched to the shield arms aluminum catch and I haven’t noticed it chewing up my glock mags. I run a lot of rounds through my 43x because I carry it, but I’m not running and gunning weekend classes with it or anything like that.

It’s not that big of a deal and people are overselling the problem. Magazines are a consumable anyways.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I switched to the shield arms aluminum catch and I haven’t noticed it chewing up my glock mags. I run a lot of rounds through my 43x because I carry it, but I’m not running and gunning weekend classes with it or anything like that.

It’s not that big of a deal and people are overselling the problem. Magazines are a consumable anyways.
View Quote

Agreed. Looking at your perspective from a different angle, I'm thinking I'd rather "consume" a $5 mag catch than damage (hundreds of dollars worth of) magazines. If this were a year ago with cheap 9mm I'd be shooting the crap out of it just to see how long it takes to notice a problem with the steel mags on polymer catch. Alas. Steady as she goes :)
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 43X that's running a factory catch, and a 48 that has the SA steel version. I run about 20 magazines between them... 6 of those are Shield Arms...

I've noticed zero issues with either mag catch, or any magazine.  

...maybe I'm just not shooting enough. But I won't be spending 30 bucks for another steel catch.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Mags are consumables. Since vetting my latest gen S-15 mags (with updated springs) along with the Shield metal mag release, I'm perfectly fine with potential accelerated wear on my Glock 10 round magazines. I now have the ability to carry a red dot topped pistol and 35 rounds AIWB in a package that disappears under a t-shirt.

For a go-to system, the tradeoff is worth it.

Edit:

I have not noticed any unusual wear on my Glock mags since installing the Shield mag release. I probably a have a couple hundred rounds through each of my GLock mags.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
New shield steel release once I get it in.  How many of us are really going to be carrying oem 10 rd mags when you can get 15 or 20 from SA?  If your using steel mags I don’t see a reason not to use a steel catch.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
New shield steel release once I get it in.  How many of us are really going to be carrying oem 10 rd mags when you can get 15 or 20 from SA?  If your using steel mags I don’t see a reason not to use a steel catch.
View Quote

If you are going to completely convert I'd say go ahead and swap it out but some guys have a lot of oem mags and maybe don't 100% trust the S15s yet I assume.

I'm swapping over to the 15 rounders completely myself if they are gtg and plan on picking up another 43x or 48 mos soon if they are indeed gtg
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you are going to completely convert I'd say go ahead and swap it out but some guys have a lot of oem mags and maybe don't 100% trust the S15s yet I assume.

I'm swapping over to the 15 rounders completely myself if they are gtg and plan on picking up another 43x or 48 mos soon if they are indeed gtg
View Quote

@jkitchen  I do plan on swapping to the 15 rd SA mags soon as my SA catch gets here.  I've got a few & the 48 is more or less only for CC.   Once the new tlr7sub comes out I'll be carrying my 48 w/light 80% of the year & only up it to my g19 w/x300 in winter; bc why not?

If I chew up a few oem mags while using the 48 in matches, so be it.  The mag catch cost as much as an oem mag & I'd rather have the reps on the mag catch I'll carry with & just replace a mag if I need to.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@jkitchen  I do plan on swapping to the 15 rd SA mags soon as my SA catch gets here.  I've got a few & the 48 is more or less only for CC.   Once the new tlr7sub comes out I'll be carrying my 48 w/light 80% of the year & only up it to my g19 w/x300 in winter; bc why not?

If I chew up a few oem mags while using the 48 in matches, so be it.  The mag catch cost as much as an oem mag & I'd rather have the reps on the mag catch I'll carry with & just replace a mag if I need to.
View Quote

Yeah I understand everyone has their own philosophy with this stuff. I backordered a few along with the steel catch because if they are reliable I'm not sure I'd use the OEM outside of range trips. I'll probably order a few oem catches just to have on hand but I'd probably run a few glock mags with the steel catch on my 43x and when I get the 48 run the plastic catch with steel just to test both aspects until I convert to one or the other for good.

I don't mind 10 rounds but if these 15 rounders work I think I'll probably grab a few of the 43x/48s. Running a couple with the light and micro dot and having a few basic models. 15 in those thin packages is just too nice. A backup and primary along with bedside all in one type is pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two schools of thought on this,  IMO, having steel mags wear our a polymer catch is a lot easier to deal with than having a steel catch wear out poly mags....so what did I do, I installed a steel catch in my 43X and it will be used primarily with the SA mags.

When I find a 48 that is less than $1200, I plan to keep the mag catch on that one ploymer....I already purchased three poly mag catches for the 43X/48
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have two schools of thought on this,  IMO, having steel mags wear our a polymer catch is a lot easier to deal with than having a steel catch wear out poly mags....so what did I do, I installed a steel catch in my 43X and it will be used primarily with the SA mags.

When I find a 48 that is less than $1200, I plan to keep the mag catch on that one ploymer....I already purchased three poly mag catches for the 43X/48
View Quote

@77bronc   48s are going for $1200 down there ?  If that’s the case I may be able to come up with one to sell.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@77bronc   48s are going for $1200 down there ?  If that’s the case I may be able to come up with one to sell.
View Quote

@bdover

Tounge in cheek comment to be honest....but I have seen some as high as $900 in one of our local sportsmans newspapers.

I really would like to buy one near the typical (before insanity) price of $479
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Why would you leave a part in place that you know is going to fail early?  Probably at the worst possible moment.

Unless it's just a range gun, which doesn't make a lot of sense either.  Replace the catch and sell the original mags or accept they're going to wear.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#13]
On my 43x replaced the factory polymer mag catch with the steel Shield Arms mag catch.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top