Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2024 5:41:26 PM EDT
I have a couple ammo boxes of these from my dad that I'd like to take the rounds out of the moon clips. They are a pain to unload. What's the easiest way to separate them?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/4/2024 5:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTHP] [#1]
If you don't have the loader unloader a flat head screwdriver.
Then just pull the last one out by hand.

Use the screwdriver as a fulcrum to pop them out between the rims of each other.

like moon clips. Fastest reload you will ever see in a revolver.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Piece of aluminum tubing with same Id as casing od, cut one end lengthwise far enough down to slide over the case past the moon clip, make a horizontal cut, slide the tube down over the case give 1/2 a turn or so and case pops out
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 9:57:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have tried most of the tools out there.  BMT makes the best.

Link Posted: 8/6/2024 10:33:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTHP] [#7]
I use old surplus for the 1917 S&W and Ranch clips for my GP100 match champion 10mm
I also use a old surplus WWI moon clip loader unloader it's just a piece of spring steel bent in a J.
I like to store ammo on them they stack nice in a 30 cal. can and are,ready to go.

Different moon clips for different model/cal. guns.

There is a company that makes plastic ones for the GP100 they can be loaded and unloaded by hand.
OK for shooting out in the back field but I have zero faith in them other then that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a number of options.

1) you can buy or make an unloading tool.  I turned this piece of tubing on my lathe to cut both ends and then knurl it just be fancy.  Then I ground the end off about 1/8” deep most of the way through so it left a tab about 3/16” wide. Then I cold blued the tube for rust protection and to make it look pretty.

The tab engages the edge of the moon clip and when you rotate the tube the round or case pops out and falls in the tube.  With a rubber cap or finger over the end you can capture all the cases.  There’s also a store bought version in the center of the next picture.

2) in this picture if you look at the end of the TKS moon clip loading tool you’ll see a flat piece of metal bent into a curved shape at the end with a notch on each side.  It works the sa,e way.  Hook the curved part around the round or case, and then lever the case out by twisting with the notch against the clip.

3)  Speed Beez includes a tool w with their moon clips that works for 9mm/.38/.357 as well as .44/.45.  They are plastic and don’t last forever but they are inexpensive. there’s another one in the picture above.

——-

In terms of moon clips, quality matters.  The only clips I bother with are the clips make by TK Customs or by Speed Beez.  The only factory original to the revolver moon clips I have liked have been from Ruger, but quality on them is spotty.

Everything else I have come across is prone to bending.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top