Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2024 5:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Edward82]
I’ve owned 3 HK USP’s, 2 P30’s and a P2000. I see USP’s all the time for $900 used, and P30’s new for $650. What is the deal with this crazy premium over guns that have better ergonomics, higher magazine capacity, equal reliability and infinitely better triggers?
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Edward82:
I’ve owned 3 HK USP’s, 2 P30’s and a P2000. I see USP’s all the time for $900 used, and P30’s new for $650. What is the deal with this crazy premium over guns that have better ergonomics, higher magazine capacity, equal reliability and infinitely better triggers?
View Quote

When you find out, let me know too.
They’re average guns that come with stupid prices.
No different than B&T guns. Average performing blowback PCC’s with asinine price tags because “mUh sWiSs mAdE”.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Because HK hates you
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't quote me, but I'm guessing the fact that it's an "HK" USP is the reason.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarlosC] [#4]
You already know why...Wenn Sie sich unsere Waffen nicht leisten können, nicht einmal gebrauchte Waffen, sind Sie arm und wir hassen Sie.*

*When you cannot afford our guns, even used guns, you are poor and we hate you.

Link Posted: 9/18/2024 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've often suspected HK prices items higher if they do only limited runs of them, or even to sort of disincentivize people from buying them vs. their newer, mainline options where they want to focus their sales.

Same with the MP5/SP5.  I think HK would love to finally put that design to rest if they could, but there's enough demand still there so they make them, but you gotta pay.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Priced a new Mercedes lately...?
View Quote

Talk about another overrated and over complicated product. Absolutely inferior to products half its price. Just like the USP.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Edward82] [#9]
Originally Posted By akethan:
They aren't expensive. They're low to mid priced guns.
View Quote

For the polymer style of gun they are, they are at the top of the pricing list. If a $900 USP is low priced, Guess a $500 Glock is cheap and a $250 Taurus is basically free? Even Warren Buffett doesn’t use money that loosely.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s a low production item that’s more difficult to make than their modern guns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:56:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#12]

For the polymer style of gun they are, they are at the top of the pricing list. If a $900 USP is low priced, Guess a $500 Glock is cheap and a $250 Taurus is basically free? Even Warren Buffett doesn’t use money that loosely.
View Quote

By that measure, what makes a Glock worth twice as much as a Taurus?
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

View Quote

I would say track history, military adoption, aftermarket support, cheaper mags, abundance of holsters, superior slide finish(holds up much better IMHO). Taurus is trying to close that gap, as their quality has gotten much better over the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]

How do you feel about the MK23?
View Quote

I’ve honestly never handled one. Just from looking at it online over the years, it was always too large for any need or desire I’d have. With most of the Elite Forces choosing 1911’s, Sigs and Glocks over it, made me feel it was very mission dependent, or not particularly cared for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Supply and demand?
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
Supply and demand?
View Quote

Good suggestion and possibly the truth behind it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Simple.

People will pay that for it.

When people aren't willing to pay that price, the price will be lowered.

It will be phased out of production when sales are too slow, or, when the price must be dropped low enough in relation to the cost of manufacture that production isn't sustainable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#18]
It’s a low production item that’s more difficult to make than their modern guns.
View Quote

This is the answer HK makes them in runs or by request for big orders for mil/le.  I am not so sure it is a difficult pistol to make and CZ makes a comparable pistol line for much less (P-09/07).  I think it boils down to it probably cost a good amount of money for HK to tool up for a USP when they are making VP or P30 type pistols and then importation is wacky from Germany to the US.  All of that it entirely supply and demand and while there is a demand for the pistol it is more a specialized demand because the USP does not sell on the same level as the Glock/M&P/P320.  When they are supplied the amount out there is rather low and get scooped up quickly.  If HK wanted to get the price down they could saturate the market with massive runs but then you would see tons of USP pistols just sitting on the shelf because everyone who wants one would buy.  So honestly HK has a brilliant business model around the USP make just enough to sell everything and sit on no inventory.  When the market is dry make another batch and sell everything again or if HK has to tool up to make a LE/Mil run make an excess to sell to the open market which is what I bet they do.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
They aren't expensive. They're low to mid priced guns.

I paid $650 for my USP in 2010. $500 for a Glock 26 in 2011. The difference in quality and performance for me was worth that price difference and more.

However at $900 that prices me out and I wouldn’t own one.

Guessing import duties make them more than necessary too. Marshall and Diezel guitar amps are half price nearly overseas vs here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Because you suck and H&K hates you!
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

This is the answer HK makes them in runs or by request for big orders for mil/le.  I am not so sure it is a difficult pistol to make and CZ makes a comparable pistol line for much less (P-09/07).  I think it boils down to it probably cost a good amount of money for HK to tool up for a USP when they are making VP or P30 type pistols and then importation is wacky from Germany to the US.  All of that it entirely supply and demand and while there is a demand for the pistol it is more a specialized demand because the USP does not sell on the same level as the Glock/M&P/P320.  When they are supplied the amount out there is rather low and get scooped up quickly.  If HK wanted to get the price down they could saturate the market with massive runs but then you would see tons of USP pistols just sitting on the shelf because everyone who wants one would buy.  So honestly HK has a brilliant business model around the USP make just enough to sell everything and sit on no inventory.  When the market is dry make another batch and sell everything again or if HK has to tool up to make a LE/Mil run make an excess to sell to the open market which is what I bet they do.
View Quote

I don't know that their overall business model has been such a good idea. They had to be sold off to a Brit company in 1990 due to financial problems. In 2012, their Moody rating dropped because of cashflow problems where they were barely able to meet operating costs and interest payments. In 2018, they were audited and red flagged because of a lack of liquidity that could lead to bankruptcy. They've had a history of cashflow problems. They should have set up shop on the US long ago.
The recent big announcement for HK USA and commitment to US sales (hopefully inclined toward civilians) may fix that finally. In their defense however, their problems were partly a result of German politics on weapons sales.

One thing about HK that no one can question is their commitment to innovation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Overpriced and overhyped
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Overpriced and overhyped
View Quote

I agree. After owning several, and shooting many, I just can’t find anything that justifies the smug mentality or the upcharge.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#24]
They work, and work, and work, and work. A lot of gun owners will never get to the point where they need to change springs in a regular firearm let alone the USP. The gun was made for people fighting, to a civilian it goes far above the call of duty. But hey if you ever get a squib fire the next shot. Plus USP's in .45 can also shoot .45 super without changing anything in the firearm!
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BossV:
Plus USP's in .45 can also shoot .45 super without changing anything in the firearm!
View Quote

No shit?  Seriously?

Well now, that's really interesting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 5:19:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#26]
The usp was always expensive but their new price increases are crazy. Probably something to do with being made in Germany. You can find a HK45c for $700 or less, made in USA, many improvements over the usp 45, but the usp compact .45 is I think $1100 plus retail new.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 6:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#27]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Overpriced and overhyped
View Quote

Show me another gun that can shoot 300,000 rounds with only replacing springs. Show me another pistol that use of +p+ doesn’t void the warranty. Show me another 45 that can handle 45 Super out of the box.

The USP is a solid case for being the most durable handgun ever made. Whether you need that or not is your choice, but it’s not something you can logically discredit.

As mentioned above USP’s are only made when invoiced by request. They also have to obtain a release from the German military for every shipment due to Germany owning the production rights, meaning they also probably have to pay Germany in addition to getting permission. Germany owns production rights to all of their military issue firearms and politicians and military leaders have to sign off on HK selling “their” technology.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
HK fanbois make me chuckle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
HK fanbois make me chuckle.
View Quote

They are devout.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#30]
USP Best P
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 11:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#31]

They are devout.
View Quote

So why did you start the thread? You say a Glock is worth twice as much as a Taurus, but you think Glock is somehow the cap for pistol production costs?

Or is this just some kind of copium, like when Taurus owners try to say Glock people are overpaying?

The reality is your bank account dictates your purchases. I have pistols from HK, Sig, Glock, Springfield, Beretta, S&W, Ruger, etc. You don’t see me getting super serious and telling guys who bought Nighthawks they should have bought a Tisas or Springfield.

Shoot what you have and be happy. You don’t need the internet to validate your guns for you. Your targets, timers, or smiles should do that. Otherwise why bother trying to start drama over a gun you don’t even own.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#32]

So why did you start the thread? You say a Glock is worth twice as much as a Taurus, but you think Glock is somehow the cap for pistol production costs?

Or is this just some kind of copium, like when Taurus owners try to say Glock people are overpaying?

The reality is your bank account dictates your purchases. I have pistols from HK, Sig, Glock, Springfield, Beretta, S&W, Ruger, etc. You don’t see me getting super serious and telling guys who bought Nighthawks they should have bought a Tisas or Springfield.

Shoot what you have and be happy. You don’t need the internet to validate your guns for you. Your targets, timers, or smiles should do that. Otherwise why bother trying to start drama over a gun you don’t even own.
View Quote

Wow. Thanks for proving my point.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

You asked why the USP was more expensive than other HK’s. It was explained to you, and then you started calling people fan boys for explaining it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:50:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BabaYaga22] [#34]
I love my USP, it’s my EDC. I shoot them better than Glocks which I also own.

I own Glocks, Berettas, XDs, M&Ps, and the HK USP

I just love the USP the most out of them. I’m about to take it to a 2 day pistol class next month also.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 8:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Edward82] [#35]

You asked why the USP was more expensive than other HK’s. It was explained to you, and then you started calling people fan boys for explaining it.
View Quote

Incorrect. If you look back, I told one poster he was probably correct that it was supply and demand. Another poster said he just loves HK fanboys, to which I replied “They are devout”. This is not bashing, as a lot of fanboys are devout, whether it be Chevy, Ford, Glock, etc. At this point is when you felt the need to post telling me how ridiculous I was and how I was just here to troll. I feel if you reread my post above, I haven’t bashed anyone or made any claims that one pistol is the cap for production. I started this out of genuine curiosity as to why the USP cost more than the HK45, CZ hammer fired, Beretta hammer fired, and all other polymer equivalent pistols. I dont come here for validation or anything else, as I have owned numerous of almost every polymer gun made and kept what I preferred.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Haters gonna hate
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I keep coming back to my USPC 9mm for EDC. Tried the P30SK lem for a bit but the usp is a better shooter in my opinion. Loved my uspc so much I bought another used uspc two tone in .40 for less than $450.

I have to add though, the FN 509ct with the Apex flat trigger is my #1. That pistol knocked my uspc to second in line.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
It damn sure ain't for the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 3:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Edward82] [#41]

It's a GD thread in a tech forum. Just trolling or retarded.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14209/20221106_103624-2605250.jpg
View Quote

Why so sensitive? Feelings must be hurt for you to start insults. Tells me a lot about you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

This is true.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 7:18:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#44]
USPc Lite LEM with grey guns SRS has replaced the G19 in my inventory.

Excellent shooter.

ETA: I happen to have a Spare 2022 USPc V1 just sitting, I got it for a deal and would let it go for one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Mine has a good trigger, make solid hits out to 50 yards with it
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#46]
HK learned from the German car industry. When they released the P7 to the US market, it was actually cheaper than the Beretta 92. They didn't sell. So, they raised the price and advertised it as a luxury item. It sold. That's been their marketing strategy since then.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
Labor is cheaper in Brazil than the US and Austria.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#48]
No .40 S&W, no care. I like my USP and USP Compact in the proper chambering of .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
HK learned from the German car industry. When they released the P7 to the US market, it was actually cheaper than the Beretta 92. They didn't sell. So, they raised the price and advertised it as a luxury item. It sold. That's been their marketing strategy since then.
View Quote

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
View Quote

Christ, HK really do hate us...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top