BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Joliet, Plainfield, as far west as Seneca and as Far East as Beecher. That was us, Illinois River Valley Patriots. I wish we could have even sent more. I think the well executed rally really helped us all. I'm going to start work on planning a hike of some sort. All of this communication is great for the cause.
View Quote
This is my home.

I'm up for hiking.  Especially once the weather improves and I can take the motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Slarti and I got another practice run in this afternoon.

Attachment Attached File

See you guys Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My daughter is home from college this weekend and has expressed an interest in going with me, any objections? I can bring a leash.

Seriously, she's a good kid and we often exercise together and has been told a pack is mandatory. I might give her a break on the weight 'cause she only weighs about 110lbs, but she will ruck.

If any of you feel this would be awkward in any way,  her and I can hike together some other time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My daughter is home from college this weekend and has expressed an interest in going with me, any objections? I can bring a leash.

Seriously, she's a good kid and we often exercise together and has been told a pack is mandatory. I might give her a break on the weight 'cause she only weighs about 110lbs, but she will ruck.

If any of you feel this would be awkward in any way,  her and I can hike together some other time.
View Quote
Hang on, I gotta go tell the dog about the pack.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Seriously, though. The more the merrier!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mean dad!  Now we can talk to her and get the real dirt on you!!!

I'm fine.  No issues.  I'm hoping it's  not going to be icy, and if it is, I'm going to try and think of a "Plan B" for us....either way, we'll see you all at 9:00 AM...

Sweet, now we got 5:
Current Count for Sunday is 5:
Redbirdxx
Redbirds Daughter
RadBaron
Slarti.
Sleeping Bird Dog

Sunday 2/2 9:00 AM. Meet at Matthiessen PL 9.
41.27981 -89.01949
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Matthiessen sounds like a lot of Fun. I'd like to get out and join you sometime.

For people in the north-east of the state, there is a newish GoRuck group called "Elite Ruck Team", out of "Elite Athletic Development / CrossFit Arlington Heights".  You can find both those in Facebook. They Ruck every Sunday Morning. It might be a forest preserve,  Buffalo Creek, or just local to the gym.  There is another GoRuck group out of Crystal Lake, IL.

Again GoRuck formats, not battle buddies, but it gets you practice rucking as you build distance and weight. Obviously, public in Illinois means no exposed weapons, and you may be in a cook county preserve.

This Sunday 2.2.2020, ERT is doing a “Coffee Ruck”. Kicking off at 7:45am, from 12 West College Drive • Unit A • Arlington Heights, IL 60004. Organizer will only admit that it is a longer one, and paved. Don't worry about Elite in the name, beginners are welcome.  Short notice I know, but the plan is to go out every Sunday AM.

Also Lake County RACES is good for communications stuff. https://www.races.org/  They have regular FCC tests,  monthly checkin/test the HAM repeater network, and assist with some community events like the Des Plaines canoe race and Lake Zurich triathlon. There are members in surrounding counties.

Again not battle buddies, but good HAM practice.

RR
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Raven,
Nice to meet you.  You a ham?
You're welcome to join in anytime or if you organize something in your area we can come your way.  We're going to try and do something monthly that includes a larger number of folks.

I know from previous ARFCOM get togethers that we have a lot of members north so you definitely have some folks that might be interested.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
See you gents (and young lady) in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Have fun tomorrow.

I plan on joining in on one these hikes soon.

I'm central illinois, myself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey Raven,
Nice to meet you.  You a ham?
You're welcome to join in anytime or if you organize something in your area we can come your way.  We're going to try and do something monthly that includes a larger number of folks.

I know from previous ARFCOM get togethers that we have a lot of members north so you definitely have some folks that might be interested.
View Quote
I've got a General License, but I don't do any Ham stuff like DX-ing

RR
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]
That's funny,  there are a number of is that have responded to this thread that are hams including myself Redbidxx and at least one or two others.  We're looking to make comms a part of this some how.  Would be cool if we could get some NVIS or even longer comms going on btw hiking group eventually.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
In the meantime until I am able to join up, I'm working on getting a cheap treadmill to walk kitted in the house as time allows. Hopefully I won't be too far behind when things settle down then
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Hike summary-

Attachment Attached File

I’ll let someone else post a group photo. The ones I have are over the size limit and I don’t feel like firing up the computer to resize them. BTW, 101.2 fever when I got home, guess the ibuprofen wore off. Wife thinks I’m an idiot and she’s probably right.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Yikes.  Hope you feel better soon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice job everyone....

And only one of us ready for the Boog!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#17]
The guy on the left looks like he's rocking a hill people gear chest rig, the same one that I use.

I really like mine. It can hold a fair amount, everything is immediately accessible, and it doesn't interfere with my backpack at all. It's always on me, even if I drop the pack

It took a couple of hikes to get used to 5 pounds pushing against my chest while chugging up a hill.

How do you like yours? Any issues?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]
That's me on the left and that is a HPG kit bag.  It's one the Snubby models so it's a smaller size.  I love it.  It's one of my favorite pieces of gear and I would be very unhappy indeed if I had to do any backpacking without it.  Quality is top notch and so is their customer service.  I used it for a week on the AT and it was indispensable.   I noticed today that it's still a little bit stinky from that trip once I got it all warmed up
I like the little lifter straps that can be used to hang the kit bag from the main straps of your pack.  They distribute the weight a lot better than just using the kit bag harness with your pack over it.  You still wear the kit bag with the harness but once you put your pack on you can just clip in the lifters to your pack's shoulder straps and it rides like it isn't even there.  If you need to drop your pack you just unclip them and you can still wear the kit bag standalone like normal.   It's a great piece of gear.  Keeps everything you need like phone, GPS, compass & map, etc. right front and center and easily accessible.  It's also the best way I've found to carry a pistol while backpacking.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, Kudos to Redbirdxx for coming out sick and still hiking with us.  Thanks for keeping up the pace dude!

Feel better.  I ordered one of those foldable antennas'  Should be here Tuesday so maybe we can try and connect via HT on Tuesday as I'm out hiking.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
A little humor from the Main BB thread....

Quoted:
Pardon me for asking a dumb question, but in 3.d.1.a you list Navy, Army, and Marine PT tests as equivalent for the level. Is there a reason you excluded Air Force from it?

Alphajaguars replied:
Because we're using military fitness tests.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#21]

AJ is a funny guy. Good guy too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm bad and slow and didn't make time yet, but I was with you all in spirit from Southern Illinois. I've got one dude from off site interested, so if anyone else is down here please hit me up! Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey Blackout....
if you got out you won.
If you got out with someone with you (or are in the process) You're winning more!!!  MHOR!

Keep at it dude...see if you can pull in any folks from other states that are close to you....

Don't worry about slow....I was sucking wind most of today....I'm REALLY out of shape.  I gotta get back on my bike and start pedaling again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's me on the left and that is a HPG kit bag.  It's one the Snubby models so it's a smaller size.  I love it.  It's one of my favorite pieces of gear and I would be very unhappy indeed if I had to do any backpacking without it.  Quality is top notch and so is their customer service.  I used it for a week on the AT and it was indispensable.   I noticed today that it's still a little bit stinky from that trip once I got it all warmed up
I like the little lifter straps that can be used to hang the kit bag from the main straps of your pack.  They distribute the weight a lot better than just using the kit bag harness with your pack over it.  You still wear the kit bag with the harness but once you put your pack on you can justified clip in the lifters to your pack's shoulder straps and it rides like it isn't even there.  If you need to drop your pack you just unclip them and you can still wear the kit bag standalone like normal.   It's a great piece of gear.  Keeps everything you need like phone, GPS, compass & map, etc. right front and center and easily accessible.  It's also the best way I've found to carry a pistol while backpacking.
View Quote
I hadn't thought about attaching the bag to the backpack straps, I'll check that out.

Mine is getting a little funky as well.

Mine is the regular or original version, I dont remember the name. Mine has a row of molle along the bottom that I attached a voodoo TQ pouch. It fits perfect and out of the way.

Attachment Attached File

Can you fit a full size pistol in yours, like a Glock 20/21?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hike summary-

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/461668/77854FE2-025E-4D51-86B6-74D2547243F8_jpe-1260095.JPG

I’ll let someone else post a group photo. The ones I have are over the size limit and I don’t feel like firing up the computer to resize them. BTW, 101.2 fever when I got home, guess the ibuprofen wore off. Wife thinks I’m an idiot and she’s probably right.
View Quote
FYI,
I pushed our first results up to Jenzilla (who appears to be subbing for Ben).   Waiting to hear back from them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I hadn't thought about attaching the bag to the backpack straps, I'll check that out.

Mine is getting a little funky as well.

Mine is the regular or original version, I dont remember the name. Mine has a row of molle along the bottom that I attached a voodoo TQ pouch. It fits perfect and out of the way.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24999/20200202_194210_jpg-1260825.JPG

Can you fit a full size pistol in yours, like a Glock 20/21?
View Quote
I don't think a full size pistol would fit well in mine.  I'm not a big guy so I bought the smaller kit bag and it fits well on my chest.  I think the full size one wouldn't work as well for me.  
I carry an M&P 9C in mine and it's roughly the size of a Glock 19.  It fits well but if it were much bigger it might not work so great.  The lifter straps came with mine when I bought it, I think.  But they're available separately on their website if you don't have them.  I recommend them.  I tried packing without them for a while and there was a noticeable decrease in comfort.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#27]
My dog looks like he got into a bar fight after that hike.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Aawww.  Poor guy.  He was great fun on the hike.  Glad he came along.  Hope he heals up quickly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Spartan Tactical has a buddy aid/trauma class on 4/18 in Plainfield if any of you guys are interested in going as a group. I’m going to be saving the date regardless, as it’s something I’ve been intending to do for far too long. There’s also a class in Bridgeview on 3/21 but I will be out of town that weekend.

Link to class
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#30]
First I was all like
Then I was all like "Oh crap, that's probably Knob Creek machine gun shoot weekend."
Then I was all like Just checked the schedule and Knob is the previous weekend.

I'm in and ready to commit/sign up for the class.  Let's do it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm good.  I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Do they not have online registration?  Am I missing something?  I can only find where I have to print and mail a form....
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, I complained about that a little last time I saw him. I think the system is you email him the registration and then he'll invoice you, which you can then pay via credit card. I'll get it figured out tomorrow and update if you'd like.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#34]
yea, I'd just hate for some of us to get in and some not.  Real time registration systems let you know.

Either way I'm good.  Let's see who else can attend.  We have 3 and let's not forget if there are others we can bring along that haven't hiked that would be good as well.  I'm going to ping a few folks that I know....

Nate7out and Beasley....you are pinged!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Spartan's response regarding electronic registration-

"To register and pay by credit card, all you need to do is E-mail me an attached PDF copy of your class registration and state in the E-mail that you would like to pay by credit card.

We use Square Up for our on-line credit card payment processing and electronic invoicing service.

I'll respond back to your E-mail with an electronic invoice from Square Up. Simply open the invoice and pay via secure link. Very simple process.

Please include in your E-mail if you will just be attending the class or if you would like to purchase an IFAK with the class as well.

Looking forward to having you out for the class in April.

Stay safe. - Krup"

I'll be registering for the 4/18 class today. I'll also ask about spots remaining in that class as of right now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll sign up as well today.  I know Beasely is interested as well.  If we want him to sign up today, then I'll ping him.  Just let me know.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#37]
We have three committed to that date, so I’d say anyone that wants to join us should register a.s.a.p.

Hopefully I’ll have a number as far as available slots later today, but at this point I think we’re committed so I say grab ‘em while you can. Waiting gets you nothing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Spartan's response on slots remaining for 4/18

On group attendance for this class, the Oak Park Sportsman's Club classroom is on the small side, so we have to keep that class at around 18 - 20 students. It's about 60% full right now and I haven't check mail at the office this week yet, so we may have some more registrations in this week.
View Quote
He did suggest the 3/21 date as an alternative as apparently that's held at a larger venue. That's not an option for me but if some (or all) of you decide to switch the date to get in as a group, I understand. I'm confirmed for the 4/18 class as of right now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I just emailed them mine.  I'll try and ping Beasley to see if he can get in.  Radbaron, u still going to try and go?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah.  I am.  I’m at work and working late and I can’t get the PDF registration form to work on my phone.  I’m working late but I’ll go ahead and shoot him an email stating that I’d like to register.  I should be able to get the PDF done when I get home tonight.

ETA:  Just sent the email.  Hopefully we all get a spot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah.  I am.  I’m at work and working late and I can’t get the PDF registration form to work on my phone.  I’m working late but I’ll go ahead and shoot him an email stating that I’d like to register.  I should be able to get the PDF done when I get home tonight.

ETA:  Just sent the email.  Hopefully we all get a spot.
View Quote
I'm in and paid.  I got an e-mail late last night.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Me too.  Just got confirmation.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#43]
From Krup, r.e. class registration....

"That class is just over 50% filled right now. We can take (20) students in that class. Once the class is filled, we will mark it as FULL on our training schedule and start a student stand-by list for that class.

Certain folks that waited until the last minute to register for the last class we had at OPSC ended up missing the class!"

Bottom line is if anyone is interested, then please go sign up now as there are probably about 10 spaces left.... Good news for us!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#44]
All right, y'all talked me into it.  I'll register this weekend.

Anyone know any deets on the IFAK they have?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Going by the listed items in the course description, you can do better for the money as far as the kit, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Handy Andy, you posted in the wrong thread....this is the battle buddy thread...I think you want the private range thread.....

@handyandy
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey SBD....if you want I'm more than open to going over how I built my IFAKs.  I've got 3, one bought and two made.  I can go over composition as well as sourcing for the supplies.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm in Plainfield.  I'd be up for hiking.
View Quote
Hi neighbor
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Just stumbled into this discussion, would have loved to get together w/ you guys last weekend.  I'll try to keep up on this discussion but if you plan another hike please IM me.

Joliet area
Page / 9
Top Top