Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2024 10:30:10 PM EDT
As we all know, the "ass salt weapon ban" has some ambiguity, other than the named items.  Does anyone have any experience with something not listed, not threaded that may or may not fall afoul of some of the other feature language?  I looking for a dealer, gun shop employee or actual buyer here, not hearsay or interpretation.

One gun in question is the Kel-Tec Sub2000.  10-round mag version.  No threaded muzzle.  But maybe the fore end could be called a "barrel shroud".  Good to go in WA, or banned Salt Weapon?

I also have a Czech VZ52 rifle I want to sell and was wondering about it, too.  Has an upper hand guard to cover the operating sleeve (wood and metal).  Much like an M1 Carbine, which I'm seeing for sale as not Salty.  (Ignore that I forgot that the muzzle is threaded for a blank adapter and pretend it doesn't for the sake of this question).

Thoughts/help guys?

Also...what happens if you attempt to buy something and the WSP decides it IS Salty?  Just sorry dude, you don't get it.  Or is there some other consequence beyond figuring out how to sent it back or sell it out of state?

Thanks!

rob
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 12:18:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scollins] [#1]
Keltec Sub2K is not “borderline”, it’s banned due to “A grip that is independent or detached from the stock that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.”

Straight up no-gp…

Edit: saw you add some more info.

Vz52 should be fine (sans threaded barrel.)

WSP also doesn't approve/deny background checks based on the item submitted, but the person.  So if a dealer did submit a check for an item that is (technically or otherwise) an "ass salt weapon" as you put it, WSP would likely "approve it".  But then the dealer would have submitted written evidence of having committed a crime, so when the AG's office gets around to enforcement action, the dealer would be fucked (gross misdemeanor.).

The buyer?  Well, the enforcement action is all about the "dealer" side of things, but I'm guessing they'd still figure out a way to at least confiscate the item from the buyer, but technically I don't think they'd be committing a "crime" per the RCW...
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Totally forgot about the pistol grip part.  This question was posed by a friend and we both missed that part.

rob
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scollins:
Keltec Sub2K is not “borderline”, it’s banned due to “A grip that is independent or detached from the stock that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.”

Straight up no-gp…

Edit: saw you add some more info.

Vz52 should be fine (sans threaded barrel.)

WSP also doesn't approve/deny background checks based on the item submitted, but the person.  So if a dealer did submit a check for an item that is (technically or otherwise) an "ass salt weapon" as you put it, WSP would likely "approve it".  But then the dealer would have submitted written evidence of having committed a crime, so when the AG's office gets around to enforcement action, the dealer would be fucked (gross misdemeanor.).

The buyer?  Well, the enforcement action is all about the "dealer" side of things, but I'm guessing they'd still figure out a way to at least confiscate the item from the buyer, but technically I don't think they'd be committing a "crime" per the RCW...
View Quote

We have not had WSP deny a sale based on gun “type”, but we did have the ATF deny an SBR. It was a bunch of weird circumstances for why it was submitted after the ban took affect.

OP, we still sell mini14s with no pistol grip or threaded barrel.

Like stated above, sub2k is a no go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cycletool:

We have not had WSP deny a sale based on gun “type”, but we did have the ATF deny an SBR. It was a bunch of weird circumstances for why it was submitted after the ban took affect.

View Quote

So a SBR is not allowed now? please clarify
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RCS57:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RCS57:

SBRs that fit in the “banned” category of guns are denied. In this case, an AR.

Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]

SBRs that fit in the "banned" category of guns are denied. In this case, an AR.

View Quote
Curious about further details on this.

SBRing an existing semiautomatic rifle should not make it any saltier unless the new overall length is less than 30 inches 2(a)(ii).
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Terrato:

SBRing an existing semiautomatic rifle should not make it any saltier unless the new overall length is less than 30 inches 2(a)(ii).
View All Quotes

Haven’t had experience with form 1s. Only 4s.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Haven't had experience with form 1s. Only 4s.
View Quote
Roger. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 11:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scollins] [#9]

View All Quotes

Even if under 30", if it is already salty, shouldn't get any saltier making it into an SBR.  (pertaining to F1 SBR builds....)

But if you want logic and consistency, don't expect that from WA, ATF, NFA, or any government actually....

I've had SBR bolt guns transfer recently, so those are at least okey dokey
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Have had no issues submitting Fork 1’s for SBRs. The guns were already “salty wepuns” and were just getting a stock instead of a brace.

Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:
Have had no issues submitting Fork 1’s for SBRs. The guns were already “salty wepuns” and were just getting a stock instead of a brace.

View Quote

This.  Lots and lots of evil scary rifles have been approved as slightly shorter evil scary rifles via Form 1’s.  However I had a Form 4 AR SBR submitted before the state law kicked in, and it was denied (after it took effect) because the examiner had an issue with my trust wording- despite the fact that it was the same trust used on many other Form 1’s and Form 4’s I have done, including Form 1’s submitted at the same time as the denied one!  So they just pulled some nonsense out of thin air is my guess on that one.

So really no reason for a gun already considered an “AW” to not be approved for SBR status, and I would contest any denials.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

So you were trying to sell an SBR that also fits in the state AW category?  Yeah I would expect that to be denied every time, no way around it under these stupid rules.

There is a reason folks should have stocked up on lowers before the state law kicked into effect….
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tac556:

So you were trying to sell an SBR that also fits in the state AW category?  Yeah I would expect that to be denied every time, no way around it under these stupid rules.

There is a reason folks should have stocked up on lowers before the state law kicked into effect….
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556:

It was a Honey Badger that had been paid for and on back order for 6-7 months from an online dealer. When it came in, the guy that ordered it was working out of town, or deployed. He got back in town and came in the day after the bill was signed. The paperwork was submitted that day. We told the customer it would probably be denied but he requested we do it anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top