Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2024 11:25:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath]
EDIT- This is spearfishing with a handheld spear, and you have to be completely submerged.  It is only for panfish.  

Here is the link to the regulations…

https://widnr.widen.net/s/zks5wvb77d/spearnetelectronic2425

Wife and I like to snorkel/spearfish and are looking for clear lakes to do it in.

She got spoiled living near Eagle River and the lake across the road was crystal clear.

Unfortunately, you can’t spearfish in Vilas and Oneida counties…

So does anyone know of any nice clear lakes?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
EDIT- This is spearfishing with a handheld spear, and you have to be completely submerged.  It is only for panfish.  

Wife and I like to snorkel/spearfish and are looking for clear lakes to do it in.

She got spoiled living near Eagle River and the lake across the road was crystal clear.

Thanks
View Quote

The clearest lake I’ve been to in WI is devils lake near baraboo.  It was amazingly clear last year.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
One just east of Black River lots of people dive in. Don't know about spearfishing it. Wazee lake I think it's called.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
join a spear fishing club
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I just read an article online yesterday that claims Black Oak Lake west of Land O Lakes is the clearest lake in WI. Allegedly, you can still see the bottom from the surface in 30' of water. It's also 85' deep. But, it's in Vilas County so that rules it out for your intentions. Too bad.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
join a spear fishing club
View Quote

Or marry an Ojibwe woman.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:21:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#6]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:

View Quote

Got an old GF on the LDF res...so I got that going for me...

I know if you put your business in your wife's name a white guy can still
do the work...but as far as treaty rights for harvesting game not sure that
a white guy can do the hunting and fishing...?

Also never have seen many NA's underwater spearing...pretty efficient
at it from topside though...

BOL is very clear...so is Forest

Go to Adam Goelke's site has all the lakes rated for clarity...better than the state DNR site
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:

View Quote

Different kind of spearing…

It’s hard to talk about the spearing we can do with a fishing license in WI, many people can’t get their heads unwrapped from, “Indian spearing bad”.

I don’t like to fish, generally, but spearfishing underwater is like spotting and stalking hunting.

You spot the fish, then you creep up on it, dive and spear it.

Into the bag it goes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Go to Adam Goelke's site has all the lakes rated for clarity...better than the state DNR site
View Quote

Good website, but it’s only got lakes in the ceded territories.

No spearfishing for whitey on those lakes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:35:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#9]
you can't spear gamefish in WI anyway or at least you couldn't back in the day when I was doing a lot of diving in N Wi...
Rough fish used to be able to take them in Oneida IIRC we used to spear white suckers, red horse, buffalo, carp...DNR was happy to see those fish speared...

looks like you can spear panfish so that would be fun...
he's using what we used to call a Hawaiian Sling...made them when I was
a kid...

Underwater SPEARING Crappies in Northern Wisconsin!
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Keyes lake in Florence County is an outstanding lake for both clarity and fish variety.

Both Langlade and Lincoln have a few relatively clear lakes with ample pan fish also.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever try underwater fishing?? Take your rod and reel, find the fish you want and put the bait in front of his nose. Dad and I tried this years ago. Talked to the DNR and it's OK. As long as you follow all rules. Law doesn't state above or below the surface, at least when we did it.

Only problem is netting the fish. Near impossible to net a swimming fish underwater. Ask me how I know.

We did this on long lake near New Auburn. Back when the water was super clear cause of the crawdads. Caught walleyes in the fish cribs. A few anyway. How it finally worked was hook the fish. Surface and hand the pole off to person in boat. Of course they would pull the hook most times. Other problem is the fish swimming out the side of the crib and tangles. Those walleyes stacked up in the cribs would suck a jig in really quick when you tickle their nose.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#12]
you can't spear gamefish in WI anyway or at least you couldn't back in the day when I was doing a lot of diving in N Wi...
Rough fish used to be able to take them in Oneida IIRC we used to spear white suckers, red horse, buffalo, carp...DNR was happy to see those fish speared...

looks like you can spear panfish so that would be fun...
he's using what we used to call a Hawaiian Sling...made them when I was
a kid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPAoVC82T50
View Quote

Yep, nothing but panfish.

It’s fun to sneak up on a small herd of sunnies or crappies, pick out the third biggest (That’s just our policy) and shoot him in the side of the head.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#13]
It's all fun till the tiger musky takes them away from you at 3am
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:

We did this on long lake near New Auburn. Back when the water was super clear cause of the crawdads.
View Quote

My dad & I fished that lake a lot in the 60s & 70s. Parents had a cottage on Sand Lake, just up 40 a few miles from Long Lake. Sand Lake was pretty clear too (and has a 90'+ deep hole in the center). I used to bow fish it for gar & carp in shallows around the island, at night with lights. Some big muskies in it too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
used to do lots of snorkeling in the Pike lake chain, between Minoqua and Fiifield.
its iron colored water, visibility wasn't the best but we did see lots of fish, often finding walleyes laying under sunken stumps.
You could get your hands inches away from being able to grab them before they'd shoot off.
Lots of fish seem to like to lay under logs/stumps out of the sun, they seem to be sleeping.
Nothing more unsettling than having a musky stare at you from a couple of feet away.

All this to say visibility is nice but if your spearing and your range is about equal to visibility alls good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I really enjoyed late at night early morning with good lights...predators were most active.
Have had tiger muskies hit the lights which was a bit disturbing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 11:20:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#17]

Thanks
View Quote

Wisconsin Lakes DNR reports

Go to this site...type in a lake you are interested in.

Go to the overview and select "more"

Go to water quality reports and data

Click on details

Open water explorer

Top of the page should see "sechi depth" category click on that

There's your clarity index for that lake and date info was taken

HTH

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out Forest Lake in Vilas near Land O Lakes
35ft secci disc readings...decent boat landing too...
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Unfortunately there is no spear fishing in vilas county.  Pretty much all of the northern boundary counties are ceded territory and whitey can’t spearfish there…
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Ever try underwater fishing?? Take your rod and reel, find the fish you want and put the bait in front of his nose. Dad and I tried this years ago. Talked to the DNR and it's OK. As long as you follow all rules. Law doesn't state above or below the surface, at least when we did it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I used to do this near the boat launch at the above-mentioned Black Oak Lake in Vilas county when I was a kid ages ago.

This was my first thought as my uncle had a place there and we spent a lot of time fishing it in the 70s. It was amazing how clear it was.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#21]
If it's legal for tribal members, it should be legal for anyone.
Top Top