Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2022 7:38:28 PM EDT
While I'm waiting for my son to finish homework,
I'm remembering places from my youth.

Anybody remember the above restaurant or honky-tonk?

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
remember both well

had alot of bbq from dixie pig but didn't really go to hillbilly heaven
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Dixie Pig rings a bell. Where was it?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
If I remember right, the owner of the Hillbilly Haven was the father of the actress Donna Dixon.
I think a lot of us here grew up in that area. Good Times & good memories. Simpler times.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If I remember correctly there was an archery shop behind or beside Hillbilly Heaven around 1989-1990 timeframe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember both.  For the life of me I can’t remember the name of the chili place attached to the feed store that was just south of ft belvior around that time as well. My dad loved that place

My mom went to the old mt Vernon high school, and my grandparents lived in sulgrave manor just across from mt Vernon.  We moved into Montclair in 1983 in prince William county, so I spent a lot of time driving up rte 1 from dumfries to mt Vernon.  I went to elementary school for a little while in Hybla valley at St Louis.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I remember correctly there was an archery shop behind or beside Hillbilly Heaven around 1989-1990 timeframe.
View Quote

Hi, buddy!
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I remember both.  For the life of me I can't remember the name of the chili place attached to the feed store that was just south of ft belvior around that time as well. My dad loved that place

My mom went to the old mt Vernon high school, and my grandparents lived in sulgrace manor just across from mt Vernon.  We moved into Montclair in 1983 in prince William county, so I spent a lot of time driving up rte 1 from dumfries to mt Vernon.  I went to elementary school for a little while in Hybla valley at St Louis.
View Quote
Bar J ?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes!  Thank you.  That was going to drive me nuts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
@sarge22

The Dixie Pig I knew was at the intersection
of Route 1 (Richmond Hwy) and Beacon Hill Rd
across from Beacon Mall.  I read there was an earlier
one in Alexandria.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I remember right, the owner of the Hillbilly Haven was the father of the actress Donna Dixon.
I think a lot of us here grew up in that area. Good Times & good memories. Simpler times.
View Quote

Yup - Earl Dixon.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I had lunch many times at the Dixie Pig on Richmond Highway during the 1970s. Great BBQ, and their bean soup was outstanding. You had to be careful with their hot sauce, however. The first time I ate there, I had a BBQ and a cup of the bean soup. I put about a half teaspoon of hot sauce in the soup, and it was so spicy I couldn't finish it.
Was really sorry to see the place go. I tried the Dixie Pig in Alexandria one time, but it had been sold to a Korean couple, and they didn't know diddley about BBQ, so I never went back.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to the one in Alexandra back before it shut down in 1984.  I think it was the original one opened in the 1940’s by the Arthur’s and was off Powhatan street.  It was a trek from Reston but had great BBQ.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I ate at Dixie Pig several times.   IIRC, they had an awsome vinigar sauce with a great pepper kick.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I lived in Ffx County before the Beltway opened thru 2010.  I would venture down Route 1 very rarely (back in the day, that was a Road Trip), but recall eating at Dixie Pig a few times in the 70s when my job took me to Beacon Mall.

So many great eateries gone by the wayside.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pucketts.   I got my first real bow (Golden Eagle) from them in 1988.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#16]
The Dixie Pig in Ashland was the first taste of real BBQ I ever had when I moved to VA.

It's a damn shame that they closed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#17]
There used to be a small chain of BBQ restaurants in Richmond called Bill's Barbecue. I think that they had 5 stores. They closed up about 1985 or thereabouts. I used to date a gal in Williamsburg back in the late 60s and early 70s, and on my way down to Williamsburg (and back, most of the time) I would stop at the Bill's BBQ on the Boulevard, just 1/2 block off of I-95. Super-good sliced pork BBQ (you could also get it chopped), and fantastic fresh-made limeade. They would squeeze the limes right there behind the counter, so you could see that you were getting fresh limeade. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

There's a place now on West Broad Street called "Buz & Ned's" That has really good barbecue ----- pork and chicken. I highly recommend the place.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Dixie Pig in Ashland was the first taste of real BBQ I ever had when I moved to VA.

It's a damn shame that they closed.
View Quote

I think that was the Smokey Pig.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There used to be a small chain of BBQ restaurants in Richmond called Bill's Barbecue. I think that they had 5 stores. They closed up about 1985 or thereabouts. I used to date a gal in Williamsburg back in the late 60s and early 70s, and on my way down to Williamsburg (and back, most of the time) I would stop at the Bill's BBQ on the Boulevard, just 1/2 block off of I-95. Super-good sliced pork BBQ (you could also get it chopped), and fantastic fresh-made limeade. They would squeeze the limes right there behind the counter, so you could see that you were getting fresh limeade. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

There's a place now on West Broad Street called "Buz & Ned's" That has really good barbecue ----- pork and chicken. I highly recommend the place.
View Quote

I ate at a Bill’s BBQ around 2002 in Richmond.  I don’t know if it was the same but they had limeade.  It was in a convenience store.

Edit, looks like they closed the last one in 2012.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're right.  It was the Smokey Pig.   Damn good BBQ.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL my dad remembers Dixie Pig because that was the first sign of civilization when you travelled north up Route 1 from Quantico where he was in OCS (there was no I95 at the time).  We had lunch there a few times.

Drove by Hillbilly Heaven a thousand times but never went in.  Didn't someone get beat to death in the parking lot?

Quoted:
I remember both.  For the life of me I can’t remember the name of the chili place attached to the feed store that was just south of ft belvior around that time as well. My dad loved that place

My mom went to the old mt Vernon high school, and my grandparents lived in sulgrave manor just across from mt Vernon.  We moved into Montclair in 1983 in prince William county, so I spent a lot of time driving up rte 1 from dumfries to mt Vernon.  I went to elementary school for a little while in Hybla valley at St Louis.
View Quote

Wasn't that a Hard Times?
Nope, Bar J as said above!  My dad ate there, he loved it.  I never went.
Attachment Attached File

Is the Bar J in Occoquan the same thing 40 years later or just coincidence?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was heart broken when they closed.  Loved that place.  Introduced my then g/f, now wife to my parents over lunch there.    
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm moved into town in Winter of '89 as a Middle school aged kid and Hillbilly Heaven was still standing but, not sure if it was operating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top