Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2024 5:07:33 PM EDT
Hey Y'all,

I'm not dying or anything, just at that point in my life where I need to be thinking about what to do with all my firearms.
No family to speak of, except for a sister that I don't get along with and raised two lib-tard kids so they're out. I do plan on leaving all my stuff to my best friend and his son. They're out of state, not sure if that matters or not, but all my guns/ammo/suppressors/etc will go to them.

Any advice or experience on the subject?

Thanks everyone!

No Dibs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Firearms can be transfer across state lines without a FFL if bequeathed or through intastate succession.  Now that means they have to be in a will to that person...... i.e. not dad dies  leaves everything to mom and she gives them to the son across a state line (that's illegal.)  Dad would have had to name the kid in the will specifically to leave those to kid upon death whether or not wife was still alive.

Now the trust is the only way to do the NFA stuff tax *paperwork* free, but if you put them on the trust now, you're going to have to have them do fingerprints and all the BS everytime you want to buy something......unless you start doing a seperate trust every time buy something new.  

So not sure what do do.  Talk to a lawyer.  But the good news is you can probably take care of 99% of it within the next 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but if you put them on the trust now, you're going to have to have them do fingerprints and all the BS everytime you want to buy something......unless you start doing a seperate trust every time buy something new.
View Quote

Thanks for the info Homie, I didn't know that! Getting fp's from them every time is not doable as I plan on buying more suppressors.

So the separate trust I just start now and transfer everything to the group trust later?

As of now I'm just buying the suppressors as an individual and was hoping to do the group trust later.

And as if you couldn't tell I've not researched this, just going on what little I remember in the 20 some years of surfing ARFCOM.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now the trust is the only way to do the NFA stuff tax free
View Quote

Why wouldn’t it go via Form 5 tax free as long as they were named beneficiary?
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why wouldn’t it go via Form 5 tax free as long as they were named beneficiary?
View Quote

You are correct.  Where I was going with that was "paperwork/process free".  They wouldnt have to pay the $200 (or $400 if out of state), but they would have to go through a process to get them transferred.

So the reason for the trust is to avoid that because in X number of years you don't know what that process or gun laws are going to look like.  Maybe they ban a certain item from ever being transferred again, maybe they get rid of the Form 5 and make it $5000 a transfer to account for inflation, who knows.  Also, you don't want those items in probate in and unfriendly state, nor to you want them sitting indefinitely with someone who not party to the form 1 or 4.  It's more of a convenience thing with the suppressors since they're fairly cheap......machine guns is where you're doing the trust to make damn sure they stay in your heirs' hands, with little to no intervention by "the man".
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I would talk to them about your plans
with the suppressors they may / may not
want to go through with the process on them
in that case sell them to someone in Missouri
where on a one time $200.00 will be the cost
for the buyer . on mine it's in my will that who will get the
suppressors so it will be on a form 5 on them
they know it all ready and the process on them
mine on single form 4 to .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top