Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2024 7:48:14 PM EDT
I just purchased a complete lower assembly that I intend to put a 10.5" upper on. In it's assembled state it would be under 26". It was transferred to me by my FFL as a "Non-Pistol" because they stated they had to transfer it as they received it and in its current condition it's not a pistol.

Do I need to complete a Pistol Sales Record? I'm seeing conflicting arguments about the legality of technically selling a pistol to myself. Any experience others have had in Michigan in regard to this would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've built all my AR pistols on stripped receivers. Assuming you have a CPL, all you do is list yourself in the Seller section and mention SELF MADE on the form. I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Synchronized:
I just purchased a complete lower assembly that I intend to put a 10.5" upper on. In it's assembled state it would be under 26". It was transferred to me by my FFL as a "Non-Pistol" because they stated they had to transfer it as they received it and in its current condition it's not a pistol.

Do I need to complete a Pistol Sales Record? I'm seeing conflicting arguments about the legality of technically selling a pistol to myself. Any experience others have had in Michigan in regard to this would be appreciated.
View Quote

Are you certain it’s under 26” once you put a brace or stock on it? I’m not sure my 10.3” is
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Are you certain it’s under 26” once you put a brace or stock on it? I’m not sure my 10.3” is
View Quote
In it's shortest fire-able configuration it is under 26". Since the law does not specify what that entails I interpret that as the end of the buffer tube to the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:53:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#4]

In its shortest fire-able configuration it is under 26". Since the law does not specify what that entails I interpret that as the end of the buffer tube to the end of the barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In its shortest fire-able configuration it is under 26". Since the law does not specify what that entails I interpret that as the end of the buffer tube to the end of the barrel.

I’ve read that is 25.5” with a milspec “buffer tube” and 10.5” Barrel with muzzle device removed. I have not confirmed and I’m reluctant to pull the flash suppressor off my 10.3” to measure it.

As for the register or not debate. If you plan to have it loaded in your vehicle then having it registered as a pistol might sway a clueless cop or DNR trying to jam you up for a loaded rifle in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]

I’ve read that is 25.5” with a milspec “buffer tube” and 10.5” Barrel with muzzle device removed. I have not confirmed and I’m reluctant to pull the flash suppressor off my 10.3” to measure it.

As for the register or not debate. If you plan to have it loaded in your vehicle then having it registered as a pistol might sway a clueless cop or DNR trying to jam you up for a loaded rifle in your vehicle.
View Quote

That's ultimately why I did it. I'll be honest, I didn't pull my flash hider. I just measured to the base of it and added the ≈.620" that is supposed to be from the shoulder behind the threads to the end of the barrel. I was under 26" by a large enough margin that I wasn't worried about it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Tangentially related, if you are building the pistol yourself, do you just fill out the form as the buyer and seller still?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
Tangentially related, if you are building the pistol yourself, do you just fill out the form as the buyer and seller still?
View Quote
That's what I did. In the Seller line I put my name and (assembled from parts)
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

Did you get any feedback from the county sheriff or MSP doing it that way?
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Did you get any feedback from the county sheriff or MSP doing it that way?
View Quote

I went to my Sheriff Dept (Saginaw County). They told me they agree the law is murky about assembled pistols. They also agreed that I was handling it in the best way to their knowledge. Take with a grain of salt of course because we shouldn't ask the police for legal advice /shrug
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top