Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2024 3:50:38 PM EDT
I know laser sights are not legal in WI to use on a gun for hunting, but what about using a laser to designate where to shoot for a new hunter?

I would be the spotter/designator, while wife is the shooter, looking through a24 power scope at 255 yards.

Target is a bear.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a new hunter would be better served by being shown where to put a shot at different angles and in by humble opinion, 255 yds. for a bear is a bit excessive, if you're hoping for good results for a new hunter.  Again, just my opinion, but I think more emphasis should be placed on the hunting, not the shooting.  I do understand your concern for trying to insure a good, clean shot is made, however.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand what you are saying.

I should clarify that the wife is a novice hunter but a very very good shot.  She can easily go sub MOA at 255 yards.

It’s the best setup for this particular bait.

Her issue is acquiring a sight picture quickly through a scope, and I was thinking that a laser might help her make a better shot.

She will be practicing, so hopefully the need will not be there on opening day.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont think the DNR would differentiate that from laser sights.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
How could a laser pointer being held by one person. Be considered a sight for another person shooting the rifle?? However it is the DNR so take your chances. Highly unlikely you will ever have an issue.

Think a clean quick kill would be more of an issue then pointing a laser at something.

Question is why 255 yards? Anyway to move closer to avoid the issue??
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 11:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#6]
It’s a really strange spot.

Right in the corner of a field edge, with woods just inside the field, but not owned by my buddy, who is letting us hunt on his land.

It’s the best spot for the bait, but nowhere to put a stand.

So we are going to set up on his deck 255 years across the bean field.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:24:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob940:
View Quote

I'm going against the grain here maybe, but I don't see how it violates any law. Maybe the DNR warden in the field won't agree, but I think a court would. The law prohibits "laser sighting devices". How can it be considered a sighting device if it's not directly attached to the gun? The laser and rifle are not moving in unison, not coordinated as a single unit, especially if held by two different people. Therefore, it's not a "sighting device".  

It's also not considered hunting with a light source ("shining") if it's done during legal daylight hunting hours.

However.... you will need a very strong 'green' laser pointer to be seen at 255 yards.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rob940:
View Quote

They would accuse you of painting the target while your wife launches a laser-guided-bullet.  

Seriously I don’t think the DNR would be cool with you shining lasers on animals anyway.  Why are laser sights illegal for hunting in the first place?
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

They would accuse you of painting the target while your wife launches a laser-guided-bullet.  

Seriously I don’t think the DNR would be cool with you shining lasers on animals anyway.  Why are laser sights illegal for hunting in the first place?
View Quote

Wisconsin DNR takes the 5 best ways to hunt a particular animal and throws them out.

Then they bring the rest of the rules to the non-hunting dominated Conservation Congress, who then throw out the top ten best ways to hunt an animal.

And then they write the game regulations.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
WI State Statute 29.314 pertains to shining animals.

They seem to indicate they consider a laser or a flashlight as a light for the purpose of “shining”.  They do comment a firearm mounted light doesn't include a laser sight.

29.314(4)(a) Specifically prohibits shining while hunting or in possession of firearm, bow, or crossbow

29.314(4)(b)2  gives an exception to use a flashlight or firearm-mounted light at point of kill for coyotes, raccoons, etc.

My gut feel is the DNR would consider what OP is asking as shining.  Shining a laser on the bear and saying “See honey..shoot it here” would be the same in their eyes  as shining a light on the bear and saying “See honey..shoot this bear”.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 5:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#11]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
WI State Statute 29.314 pertains to shining animals.

They seem to indicate they consider a laser or a flashlight as a light for the purpose of “shining”.  They do comment a firearm mounted light doesn't include a laser sight.

29.314(4)(a) Specifically prohibits shining while hunting or in possession of firearm, bow, or crossbow

29.314(4)(b)2  gives an exception to use a flashlight or firearm-mounted light at point of kill for coyotes, raccoons, etc.

My gut feel is the DNR would consider what OP is asking as shining.  Shining a laser on the bear and saying “See honey..shoot it here” would be the same in their eyes  as shining a light on the bear and saying “See honey..shoot this bear”.  
View Quote

I do agree with your interpretation of that statute as written. That doesn't mean the law isn't ludicrous if it does not stipulate certain hours it is in effect. As in... How can you "shine" between sunrise & sunset in daylight? If I shine my flashlight towards a game animal at noon on a sunny day, I'm technically in violation of the "shining" laws... because, you know, I couldn't have seen it otherwise, right? Where am I hunting, in a cave?  

Makes perfect sense to me.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I read Statute 29.

They consider “shining” to be “casting a light” and lasers to be the same as a flashlight, therefore, the DNR would love me tenderly if they caught me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone talked to a warden about how they'd handle the questions about lasers?  Seems to be a better source than guessing.  Or maybe a call to a regional office.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#14]
Originally Posted By kapusta:
Has anyone talked to a warden about how they'd handle the questions about lasers?  Seems to be a better source than guessing.  Or maybe a call to a regional office.
View Quote

I have yet to meet a WI game warden who wasn’t a complete and utter asshole.  Well, I did meet one…

By speaking to one, you are opening yourself for all kinds of scrutiny from people who have the utmost contempt for hunters and sportsmen in Wi.

I am a game warden magnet, and every interaction i have had from Alabama, to the Channel Islands in CA, to the mountains of CO and WY has been positive.

I have only had one positive interaction with the WI DNR wardens out of about a dozen field interviews.

We once called them for a bunch of guys shooting from the road during deer season.

2 hours later they rolled up and started yelling at us to put our hands up and move away from the vehicles, because someone had called it in that we were shooting from the road.

Another time, I saw a Hmong family fishing at a trout stream 2 weeks before season opened.  I called the dNR, told them where I was, then waited for them to arrive while observing the miscreants.

An hour later they called and said they had went by the area and found no one there.

I had never left and the family was still doing bad things.

When I told him I was watching the family and no warden vehicles had gone by he got flustered and hung up.

They never showed up and I watched the family leave about 30 minutes later…
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:21:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#15]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

I have yet to meet a WI game warden who wasn’t a complete and utter asshole.  Well, I did meet one…

By speaking to one, you are opening yourself for all kinds of scrutiny from people who have the utmost contempt for hunters and sportsmen in Wi.

I am a game warden magnet, and every interaction i have had from Alabama, to the Channel Islands in CA, to the mountains of CO and WY has been positive.

I have only had one positive interaction with the WI DNR wardens out of about a dozen field interviews.

We once called them for a bunch of guys shooting from the road during deer season.

2 hours later they rolled up and started yelling at us to put our hands up and move away from the vehicles, because someone had called it in that we were shooting from the road.

Another time, I saw a Hmong family fishing at a trout stream 2 weeks before season opened.  I called the dNR, told them where I was, then waited for them to arrive while observing the miscreants.

An hour later they called and said they had went by the area and found no one there.

I had never left and the family was still doing bad things.

When I told him I was watching the family and no warden vehicles had gone by he got flustered and hung up.

They never showed up and I watched the family leave about 30 minutes later…
View Quote

I have personally known 5, as I sometimes worked with DNR. Three were great guys. I hunted together with one for years. One is now dead and the other two are retired. All 3 were about as honest and fair minded as can be, but were 'old school' type... not the gung-ho millienial type.  #4 is retired too, and kind of an ass at times, but he was mostly fair with people. The 5th is an asshole from the word go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kapusta] [#16]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:

I have personally known 5, as I sometimes worked with DNR. Three were great guys. I hunted together with one for years. One is now dead and the other two are retired. All 3 were about as honest and fair minded as can be, but were 'old school' type... not the gung-ho millienial type.  #4 is retired too, and kind of an ass at times, but he was mostly fair with people. The 5th is an asshole from the word go.
View Quote

Was Don Bjork one of them (good guy) by chance?  As an aside, I did run into this article the other dayDNR Warden problems
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By kapusta:

Was Don Bjork one of them (good guy) by chance?  As an aside, I did run into this article the other dayDNR Warden problems
View Quote

No. I'll give their first names only... Chuck, Bruce, and Mike.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]
they make rifle stocks with no action for mounting scopes on in retail stores...put a laser on that or use a tripod
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top