Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2024 2:16:40 PM EDT
It's never made sense to me that carrying on base is not allowed.  An employee who works on a base is forced to leave his weapon home every time he goes to work, not even allowed to leave his weapon in his car.  That's always seemed wrong because who knows what can happen on the way to or from work.  Well, in Georgia two guys sued the Army Corps of Engineering to be allowed to carry when they're on the Army Corps of Engineering property and won.  I'm wondering if the same can happen for more places.  My wife refuses to camp on Jim Creek because years ago we saw a mountain lion on our way to the lake.  

The place in Georgia is Lake Allatoona.  The lake supposedly had a Copperhead problem when I lived there in the early eighties, but I'm thinking the two guys who sued were concerned with the two legged predators.

It'd be great if this were able to translate for all bases but I won't be holding my breath.

https://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2018/07/02/path-cleared-for-corps-decision-to-be-vacated/
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I forget what the history of allowing carrying on bases is. Hopefully someone here will fill us in. I do recall that after the massacre at Ft. Hood that there was some discussion about allowing officers to carry a sidearm, but that might have just been a host or caller on a talk radio show.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 12:21:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PVTPablo] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TigerForce:
I do recall that after the massacre at Ft. Hood that there was some discussion about allowing officers to carry a sidearm
View Quote

Based on our last pistol qualification, I'd rather nobody carry than our officers.

I'm safer that way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PVTPablo:

Based on our last pistol qualification, I'd rather nobody carry than our officers.

I'm safer that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I do recall that after the massacre at Ft. Hood that there was some discussion about allowing officers to carry a sidearm

I'm safer that way.

That made me chuckle.

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]

I'm safer that way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I forget what the history of allowing carrying on bases is. Hopefully someone here will fill us in. I do recall that after the massacre at Ft. Hood that there was some discussion about allowing officers to carry a sidearm, but that might have just been a host or caller on a talk radio show.
View Quote

Your mileage may vary depending on the base.  My experience was it was allowed prior to 9/11.  One base we had a range/armory in the basement of a building.  Those living on base were expected to store their weapons in the armory, but those living off-base could carry onto the base.  Of course 9/11 changed things. My issue then was that we're all screened, have government issued IDs, so what's the beef.  We weren't just Tom, Dick, or Harry off the street.  Didn't and still doesn't matter.  But I agree with PVTPablo about limiting it to officers now.  There are way too many purple-haired gender confused members that aren't stable enough that I'd want to be around them carrying. But the issue with having to drive to work unarmed still sticks in my craw and would bother me if I were still going on base daily. I've read there's movement as far as carrying into a post office, I know not universal, but maybe in time it will be.  And I'm not ignoring that we live in some crazy times, so the threat posed may be too much for base security.  There should be some compromise to accommodate responsible gun owners.  I don't know what it would be, but there should be a way to stay armed when travelling to work and then back home. Once a few years back I had a dental appointment at the VA.  My wife and had errands to run before my appointment so I was carrying.  It was one of my comfortable rigs so naturally I forgot I was carrying until I laid back in the dental chair.  Later I found out that I could have been really jammed up.  The week prior another veteran did something similar but when he got up up he accidentally shot himself in the foot, so naturally the VA employees were a bit sensitive.  So I see both sides but still am not willing, or don't want to give in to not carrying.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]

I'm safer that way.
View Quote

I agree.  During a Marine Combat Pistol Course being taught to sailors I was almost shot twice by the same guy. He was next to me on the firing line and his pistol jammed, the Gunny was beside me and this guy turned towards us pointing his pistol directly at us.  I thought the Gunny was gonna knock him out.  Later we were cleaning our weapons and the same idiot put a round into the timber roof right above my head.  Same idiot a month later almost drowned when were doing some training in the pool.  When it was his turn to enter the pool he jumped in and went right to the bottom.  When the Staff Sergeant brought him up he asked what happened, the guy said he couldn't swim. Staff asked why did you jump in then.  The guy said he thought he'd get in trouble if he hadn't.  I do think officers can be that stupid too, but maybe the chances are reduced.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By im_monster_man:
I agree.  During a Marine Combat Pistol Course being taught to sailors I was almost shot twice by the same guy. He was next to me on the firing line and his pistol jammed, the Gunny was beside me and this guy turned towards us pointing his pistol directly at us.  I thought the Gunny was gonna knock him out.  Later we were cleaning our weapons and the same idiot put a round into the timber roof right above my head.  Same idiot a month later almost drowned when were doing some training in the pool.  When it was his turn to enter the pool he jumped in and went right to the bottom.  When the Staff Sergeant brought him up he asked what happened, the guy said he couldn't swim. Staff asked why did you jump in then.  The guy said he thought he'd get in trouble if he hadn't.  I do think officers can be that stupid too, but maybe the chances are reduced.
View Quote

Reminds me of this incident, which is written about in Eugene Sledge’s book:
The Pacific - Gunny Dominates Lieutenant
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

The DoD instruction governing arming people was revised after the board convened in the wake of the Hasan shooting recommended it be revised. The revised instruction allows officers O-5 and above to give permission to carry concealed on base, in 6 month increments, but the number of officers at that rank (and higher) that are willing to take that much risk with their career are few and far between. Functionally things are no different now than they were in 2009. The number of people carrying concealed on base is so small they might as well not even not be there.

I got the training bug after my first class at Thunder Ranch in 2000, so for the next 14 years of my Naval career I was that guy taking personal leave time to attend gun schools on my own dime. It always rankled my ass that I was better trained than 99% of the sailors out there, but I was forced to be disarmed by regulations written by risk averse admirals who thought of enlisted people with firearms with distaste.

I always thought it was ironic, that the armed services are anything but.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Reminds me of this incident, which is written about in Eugene Sledge’s book:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu51rszgotI
View Quote

Thanks for that, you brought me back to 1988.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 2:20:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By im_monster_man:

Your mileage may vary depending on the base.  My experience was it was allowed prior to 9/11.  One base we had a range/armory in the basement of a building.  Those living on base were expected to store their weapons in the armory, but those living off-base could carry onto the base.  Of course 9/11 changed things. My issue then was that we're all screened, have government issued IDs, so what's the beef.  We weren't just Tom, Dick, or Harry off the street.  Didn't and still doesn't matter.  But I agree with PVTPablo about limiting it to officers now.  There are way too many purple-haired gender confused members that aren't stable enough that I'd want to be around them carrying. But the issue with having to drive to work unarmed still sticks in my craw and would bother me if I were still going on base daily. I've read there's movement as far as carrying into a post office, I know not universal, but maybe in time it will be.  And I'm not ignoring that we live in some crazy times, so the threat posed may be too much for base security.  There should be some compromise to accommodate responsible gun owners.  I don't know what it would be, but there should be a way to stay armed when travelling to work and then back home. Once a few years back I had a dental appointment at the VA.  My wife and had errands to run before my appointment so I was carrying.  It was one of my comfortable rigs so naturally I forgot I was carrying until I laid back in the dental chair.  Later I found out that I could have been really jammed up.  The week prior another veteran did something similar but when he got up up he accidentally shot himself in the foot, so naturally the VA employees were a bit sensitive.  So I see both sides but still am not willing, or don't want to give in to not carrying.
View Quote

It didn't really change other than maybe more strictly enforced. If you were in barracks you had to register them and store them in the arms room. If you lived in base/post housing you had to register them. You still couldn't carry except to and from the range, off and back on post, and to and from the hunting area if you were going hunting. You couldn't just carry one if in one of hte camping areas... in most posts. It was always up to the garrison/post/base commander and almost none would risk their next star by allowing people to carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top