Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2024 7:23:23 AM EDT
I have my second home/ future retirement home in the
North woods of Douglas county. We own a few properties within 2 miles. Surrounded
by mostly untouched forest land. I just found out from a neighbor that
the county is purchasing a 10 acre lot to my east, and putting up
a prefab with the intention of housing chapter 980 release person (s). Chapter
980 is Sexually Violent Offenders.
Just what we need in our quiet peaceful neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#1]
They tried to do that near me last summer. The county bought a nice piece of wooded DNR land with the intent on putting a mobile home there not far from a park with playground, beach and campground. The town raised hell with the county board and they eventually abandoned the plans.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
OP needs to quickly put a school or daycare on his property.  That will throw the brakes on his neighbors plan.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:
OP needs to quickly put a school or daycare on his property.  That will throw the brakes on his neighbors plan.
View Quote

We are actively pursuing establishing a church at the nearest neighbors property. Should be close enough to maybe
halt the issue. County board meets on the 15th and I am sure
we have enough concerned people to raise a stink. Also trying to
get the town to kabash any approvals
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 3:53:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kapusta] [#4]
Seems to me that a sexually violent offender would be best placed in a state run, secure "hotel" that they were sent to originally and kept there.  Problem (current as well as future) solved.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Pro-Tip:  Knock on as many doors as possible now to round up as many people as you can and ask them to call and recruit everyone they know in the county to do the same.  Make sure you have people from every district in the county so that every county supervisor knows their vote will be remembered and used against them.  

Write up, print out, and distribute instructions to all of your supporters as they arrive at the meeting.  Have everyone register to speak before hand or at least register in opposition.  Provide talking points and recommend they sound angry but be polite.  Do not be swayed by the county supervisors claiming to be helpless to do anything.  They can stop it by simply passing a resolution opposing it.  

If you can whip up a big enough stink, they will back down.  The truth is that they won't place an inmate in a openly hostile and potentially dangerous situation.  If I were a publicly registered convicted sex-offender, the last place in the world that I would want to live would be in a back woods location while being completely alone and unarmed.  This is just bad public policy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bubba_Blue:
Pro-Tip:  Knock on as many doors as possible now to round up as many people as you can and ask them to call and recruit everyone they know in the county to do the same.  Make sure you have people from every district in the county so that every county supervisor knows their vote will be remembered and used against them.  

Write up, print out, and distribute instructions to all of your supporters as they arrive at the meeting.  Have everyone register to speak before hand or at least register in opposition.  Provide talking points and recommend they sound angry but be polite.  Do not be swayed by the county supervisors claiming to be helpless to do anything.  They can stop it by simply passing a resolution opposing it.  

If you can whip up a big enough stink, they will back down.  The truth is that they won't place an inmate in a openly hostile and potentially dangerous situation.  If I were a publicly registered convicted sex-offender, the last place in the world that I would want to live would be in a back woods location while being completely alone and unarmed.  This is just bad public policy.
View Quote

Yes, we have been contacting every landowner and business in the surrounding area. We have a petition going for the town board as well. The
property is back in,off the road. Seems risky on multiple levels to put that type of offender in a place where no one could actively observe what is going on.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wisbiker67:

Yes, we have been contacting every landowner and business in the surrounding area. We have a petition going for the town board as well. The
property is back in,off the road. Seems risky on multiple levels to put that type of offender in a place where no one could actively observe what is going on.
View Quote

The trick is to get people from all around the county to be at the meeting and to also have them be contacting their county supervisors about it.  If you only get people from the district you are in, your representative will vote against the placement while the other supervisors will vote for it.  At a minimum, you need a resolution to be passed opposing this.  Ideally with a big majority.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]

The trick is to get people from all around the county to be at the meeting and to also have them be contacting their county supervisors about it.  If you only get people from the district you are in, your representative will vote against the placement while the other supervisors will vote for it.  At a minimum, you need a resolution to be passed opposing this.  Ideally with a big majority.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wisbiker67:

Got it. Thanks for the input. Its very helpful
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top